• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

import a LHD vehicle from UAE and register in SL

himujjee

Dear friends,

Iam planning to import a LHD vehicle from UAE and drive in Sri Lanka,

Is it really possible? if yes how much will cost for convert LHD to RHD?

And what government guidelines for taxes and other charges, vehicle value is 1.8 M (LKR)

Please advise, thanks,

17 hours ago, himujjee said:

Dear friends,

And what government guidelines for taxes and other charges, vehicle value is 1.8 M (LKR)

Please advise, thanks,

1. You need to convert to RHD before importing. 

2. Value of the vehicle doesn't matter. Taxation is based on engine capacity. 

3. You cant import a vehicle older than 3 years. 

Dear friends,

Please advise, thanks,
We can hardly drive even RHD vehicles here in SL with tuk tuks and bikers. Imagine driving a LHD with these buggers

Sent from my HTC Desire 630 dual sim using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sathyajithj99 said:

This law might have been implimented recently, because I have seen a few LHD vehicles with "left hand side driven" board on them.

Sent from my HTC Desire 630 dual sim using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

There are many older LHD cars around - even American Station wagons used as Hearses. I have also seen the odd merc or two but I haven't seen any recent models so probably this law was brought later on - not sure of the timeline though. 

On 1/30/2019 at 6:54 PM, matroska said:

There are many older LHD cars around - even American Station wagons used as Hearses. I have also seen the odd merc or two but I haven't seen any recent models so probably this law was brought later on - not sure of the timeline though. 

On 1/30/2019 at 6:12 PM, sathyajithj99 said:

This law might have been implimented recently, because I have seen a few LHD vehicles with "left hand side driven" board on them.

This law has been in effect for quite some time. A decade or even more. You cannot import LHD without converting...however, this being Sri Lanka, if you do import a LHD car before converting,  customs does let you clear the car with approval from RMV and you have to do the conversion prior to the actual registration.