• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Experts Need your help

Deshanbro

Hello Experts 

Sorry I'm new to this forum and I need your help to sort out the following issue 

I have budget of 4.4 to 4.5 million to buy vehicle I usually travel in weekends maximum about 50km therefore following cars has been shortlisted in my memory. However I need to sort our disadvantages of following vehicles and seek your opinion on buying a vehicle 

Suzuki swift RS non hybrid 2017

Con - Resale Vaue 

Premio 2007/2008

Cons - less options,Car is almost 15 years old when I am selling it 

Allion 2008/2010

Cons - Too old upon selling

Vitz 2016/2018

Con - I already had a vitz therefore not interested in buying another one

Dear guys i am not interested in hybrid since I dont travel frequently. I am looking for a car with ok features, OK fuel consumption and ok resale value 

Please help me your expert opinion matters 

Welcome to Autolanka!

So you have almost sorted out what are the cons?.Anyway, if you prefer relaibility,comfort and resale value at the expense of handling and driving pleasure, a non-hybrid Toyota will be the best choice.Hondas and Mazdas shine when it comes to performance and driving pleasure.Those cars are also reliable, but there are some few known issues,such as the early DCT replacement of the Fit,Grace and Vezel.They are comparatively more livelier and sharper to handle,but at the same time you have to sacrifice a little in the comfort division.

I too have been looking for a 2007-2008 Allion or Premio during last November but gave up the idea due to the lack of good condition cars.Swift RS might be a safe choice,but as I know many owners claim that there is an issue with the steering rack which arises after doing few thousand kms, which can be sorted out.Also you have choices like Lancer Ex,Mazda Axela 2009-2012 and Civic.Best thing is to drive them and find which suits you the best.

1 hour ago, GayanR said:

Age doesn't matter in SL.Have you seen those shit old 121,allion and granny old prados go for the same price or above.As long as you get a very famous model you are safe.

Haha true to that, buy a few decade old diesel suv and you are set double your figure gradually 

If you are not interested in resale value, Swift RS would be the best choice. One would make an argument as to why do you want to buy almost a decade old vehicle when you can buy something new for the same price you are paying. Also this steering rack issue in Swift RS can easily be remedied by replacing the Gel inside as far as I know.

Edited by K.o.N.o.S

In my opinion You can’t predict the future and buy a vehicle. Instead you should consider the options you have at the present and sort of compare pros and cons of each model and then decide on what suits you the best. But one thing for sure.Considering how crazy Sri lankans go over Toyotas ( highly exaggerated) a well maintained premio or an allion will hold the value much much longer.

2 hours ago, Deshanbro said:

Thank you for your comments. However if I buy a decade old vehicle how can I guarantee that there will be a stable market after 5 years? Any example vehicles? 

Forget about Japanese cars , 3 dacade old Land Rover defenders go for insane amounts :D even the unreliable Mercedes ML Jeeps of early 2000s ask for around 3.5Mil these days. A well maintained Japanese vehicle with decent fuel economy would hold up its value quite well in the future. 

2 hours ago, Deshanbro said:

How can I guarantee that there will be a stable market after 5 years? Any example vehicles? 

15 hours ago, Deshanbro said:

I am looking for a car with ok features, OK fuel consumption and ok resale value 

Like many people already said, looking at your requirements your best bet would be a Toyota.

However,

Keep in mind that most Toyota owners have the same mindset as yours - their sole reason for going for a Toyota is to spend as less as possible on maintenance and fuel as long as they own the car and then sell it off for the highest price possible. In other words, most Toyotas of the vintage you're looking at are abused like a Maradana Whore © - keep that in mind when you start your car hunt. Moreover, people are leaning towards newer kei cars and ~1000CC vehicles more and more simply because of the reliability factor, if this trend keeps up it's quite possible for a non-hybrid Swift 2017 to depreciate less than a 2008ish Allion/Premio after 5 years from now.

© - Crosswind

Edited by Hyaenidae

12 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

if this trend keeps up it's quite possible for a non-hybrid Swift 2017 to depreciate less than a 2008ish Allion/Premio after 5 years from now.

Let’s hope the trend will change.However I believe the typical mindset of vehicle buyers in SL can not be changed under any circumstances. Their minds are completely fixated on Toyotas. Can not blame them as this is what the society has feeded to our minds. While we are living in that bubble getting to what we really want is difficult.However there are still people out there who think outside of the box and actually do something different like buying a Mazda, Honda, lancer ex’s etc. I think those fall into a unique crowd within the society.

20 minutes ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Let’s hope the trend will change.However I believe the typical mindset of vehicle buyers in SL can not be changed under any circumstances. Their minds are completely fixated on Toyotas. Can not blame them as this is what the society has feeded to our minds. While we are living in that bubble getting to what we really want is difficult.

Why that trend should change I wonder, I mean as long as this tax structure is in place there is a significant percentage of people who are on a 3-5 mil budget which will go for an unregistered/way newer kei / ~1000CC vehicle instead of a similarly priced ~10-year-old Toyota. The recent influx of Kei cars, Vitzs, Swifts, Civics, Miras, plus all those Axias, Wigos, Picantos, Bezzas that you see more and more on the roads each passing day will have a significant impact on the used car market in 5 years' time IMO. :)

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dear experts 

Intially I had a budget of Rs 4.3 Mn however i have reduced my budget for Rs 3.5 mn in oder to invest the balance amount into a fixed deposit. Presently Im in a very stressful situation on selecting a vehicle. What my requirements 

*vehicle should be atlest made in the year of 2012 or above 

* I previously had a vitz therefore I need a strong justification to go for a vitz again because I feel it lacks options and comfort for the price that im paying 

* I need decent fuel figures and decent resale value. 

* I am not a fan of those wagon r

Based on above requirements I think an expert will help me to sort out the issue. 

@Deshanbro, you already have opened a thread asking for assistance with your car purchase. A new thread is not required to re-iterate about the same thing. Advise you stick to this thread and ask all your questions here. Thanks!

Threads merged.

Edited by Davy