• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Gear box mount and rocker cover replacement

firstgear

Question

I am asked to replace tapper cover (rocker cover) and gear box mount for my Viva elite (100k+ kms done).

Estimate for both at the agent is about 85k with engine tune up.

Any members can share your experience with this change? 

Are these critical jobs which I can only the trust the agent with?

Edited by firstgear
spellings

17 answers to this question

What's the issue with the rocker cover? Is it plastic on the Viva Elite? 

No, they're not critical jobs. Even you can do them at home given you have the proper tools. 

I've seen people recommend Janatha Motors for Viva Elite parts. Get a quote from there and take it to a good garage. 

Tagging @Sampath Gunasekera as he might be able to advise as well. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Davy said:

What's the issue with the rocker cover? Is it plastic on the Viva Elite? 

No, they're not critical jobs. Even you can do them at home given you have the proper tools. 

I've seen people recommend Janatha Motors for Viva Elite parts. Get a quote from there and take it to a good garage. 

Tagging @Sampath Gunasekera as he might be able to advise as well. 

Thank you Davy.

I was told that oil is leaking from rocker cover and it could even damage the coils:excl:. Yes I think it is plastic.

Got quote from JM as 24k. (At the agent 40k). So hopefully I can do this from a good mechanic. 

Replacing gearbox mount also includes replacement of engine mounts? 

I have replaced valve cover. it costed me about 22k to several months back. However, I went for a tune-up (clean up?) recently and when the mechanic inspected the spark plugs, it was discovered that oil has somehow got into the spark plug tubes. My guess is that either the earlier mechanic didn't fit the new valve cover properly or did not remove the residue oil before fitting the new cover or the new valve cover itself is faulty. Anyhow it was fixed back again with some sealant put in and I am expecting that it will solve the leaking problem. (Hopefully). If it starts leaking again to the plug tube, my next option would be to take the original valve cover that I replaced and re-install the oil seals into it. You have to take that to a lathe shop where they will cut off the existing oil seal from the valve cover and put in new seals. The quality of the work will depend on the skill of the person who will be handling the job. 

I just stated some of the options you have and it has been a pain the neck for me as it didn't get rectified even though I spent a considerable amount of money on that issue alone. According to what Unimo said it's a common issue in Viva Elites, specially the auto gear ones. The part costs 40K Rs. at Unimo and they claim that its the original 'Daihatsu' spare part. ?

Hope this helps. I have no idea about the gearbox mounts though. How did you come to know that the mounts are bad? I feel quite a vibration when stopped in traffic (when the gear is in D and brakes fully pressed). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, firstgear said:

Replacing gearbox mount also includes replacement of engine mounts

Not necessarily. If it's the gearbox mounts that are worn out, then you can just replace the worn out mounts.

But depending on the car and how the mounts work, replacing all at once (or a few) needs to be done. This is because a mix of old and new mounts mean that the new mounts will be under more stress because the other older mounts don't absorb engine vibration as much. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ghostwriter said:

I have replaced valve cover. it costed me about 22k to several months back. However, I went for a tune-up (clean up?) recently and when the mechanic inspected the spark plugs, it was discovered that oil has somehow got into the spark plug tubes. My guess is that either the earlier mechanic didn't fit the new valve cover properly or did not remove the residue oil before fitting the new cover or the new valve cover itself is faulty. Anyhow it was fixed back again with some sealant put in and I am expecting that it will solve the leaking problem. (Hopefully). If it starts leaking again to the plug tube, my next option would be to take the original valve cover that I replaced and re-install the oil seals into it. You have to take that to a lathe shop where they will cut off the existing oil seal from the valve cover and put in new seals. The quality of the work will depend on the skill of the person who will be handling the job. 

I just stated some of the options you have and it has been a pain the neck for me as it didn't get rectified even though I spent a considerable amount of money on that issue alone. According to what Unimo said it's a common issue in Viva Elites, specially the auto gear ones. The part costs 40K Rs. at Unimo and they claim that its the original 'Daihatsu' spare part. ?

Hope this helps. I have no idea about the gearbox mounts though. How did you come to know that the mounts are bad? I feel quite a vibration when stopped in traffic (when the gear is in D and brakes fully pressed). 

Thank you @ghostwriter for the detailed post about your experience. Points taken.

I didn't feel any vibrations. I only came to know about this when I requested them to do a full inspection of the car because it has reached above 100k kms. They gave 5 recommendations. 1st priority is to replace the rocker cover and 5th is gear box mount. In between some other less costs things like oil seals, viper blades etc..

However now I realize that this could be the reason for the rigorous shaking of the car when I stop facing upward or downward  on a flyover during traffic (it is a shaking more than a vibration). I don't get that shaking on a flat road stop.

6 hours ago, firstgear said:

Thank you @ghostwriter for the detailed post about your experience. Points taken.

I didn't feel any vibrations. I only came to know about this when I requested them to do a full inspection of the car because it has reached above 100k kms. They gave 5 recommendations. 1st priority is to replace the rocker cover and 5th is gear box mount. In between some other less costs things like oil seals, viper blades etc..

However now I realize that this could be the reason for the rigorous shaking of the car when I stop facing upward or downward  on a flyover during traffic (it is a shaking more than a vibration). I don't get that shaking on a flat road stop.

Was it due to the Fly over is shaking ? Those Steel Fly overs in Dehiwala, Kelaniya are shaking.

57 minutes ago, raveeJaya said:

Was it due to the Fly over is shaking ? Those Steel Fly overs in Dehiwala, Kelaniya are shaking.

I have felt the shaking on both these flyovers. But I haven't felt that shaking when I was driving another vehicle. 

Rocker cover does not contain oil under pressure. Oil seals are less likely to fail. A warped rocker cover might be the reason. If the bolts are too loose, it may leak oil from due to the poor seal. If it is too tight, might warp or crack the plastic rocker cover. Make sure it is torqued down to specifications. If the engine block and rocker cover are in good shape, removing all remaining packings properly and using a new packing would solve the issues.

If only the rocker cover is uneven, it can easily be resurfaced in a lathe. If the cylinder head also needs resurfacing, it will be a major engine dismantling job.

(I'm clueless about the elite. This is in general)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, varotone said:

Rocker cover does not contain oil under pressure. Oil seals are less likely to fail. A warped rocker cover might be the reason. If the bolts are too loose, it may leak oil from due to the poor seal. If it is too tight, might warp or crack the plastic rocker cover. Make sure it is torqued down to specifications. If the engine block and rocker cover are in good shape, removing all remaining packings properly and using a new packing would solve the issues.

If only the rocker cover is uneven, it can easily be resurfaced in a lathe. If the cylinder head also needs resurfacing, it will be a major engine dismantling job.

(I'm clueless about the elite. This is in general)

in the elite, the plastic rocker cover has the 3 oil seals that cover the top of the spark plug tube embedded in to it in a way that the seals cannot be taken out and replaced. the outer gasket can be replaced but not the tube seals. if the tube seals are bad, the agent recommends replacing the rocker cover itself. 

26e163ee9a7ca5e24c1274305899a3e8

Edited by ghostwriter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ghostwriter said:

in the elite, the plastic rocker cover has the 3 oil seals that cover the top of the spark plug tube embedded in to it in a way that the seals cannot be taken out and replaced. the outer gasket can be replaced but not the tube seals. if the tube seals are bad, the agent recommends replacing the rocker cover itself. 

26e163ee9a7ca5e24c1274305899a3e8

Agree with you. It is said that if tube seals are bad, oil leak to air cleaner chamber which is on the top of plastic rocker cover. So if you cant see any oil vapor deposit inside the air cleaner chamber, I guess you may replace only the outer gasket.

• Like 1

I had a very different picture in my head:action-smiley-060: I thought oil is dripping down from the rocker cover on to the spark plug tubes and leads.

35 minutes ago, kusumsiri said:

It is said that if tube seals are bad, oil leak to air cleaner chamber which is on the top of plastic rocker cover.

How does oil get in to the air cleaner chamber? I can't imagine such a contraption.

On 1/26/2019 at 8:46 PM, varotone said:

I had a very different picture in my head:action-smiley-060: I thought oil is dripping down from the rocker cover on to the spark plug tubes and leads.

How does oil get in to the air cleaner chamber? I can't imagine such a contraption.

In this engine model, the spark plugs go through the rocker cover and air cleaner chamber locates top of the rocker cover.

(1) Top view12155762874_6e62e4697e_b.jpg

(2) After removing the air cleaner

7.JPG

(3) A cylinder head (rocker cover)

329022_3.jpg

(4) Here is a discussion about the said oil leak.

image.thumb.png.12d2a94e082d60ec8a3f3e630a9e4b0a.png

Edited by kusumsiri
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Elite auto, also having problem of engine miss in cold start and getting smoother after heating up.

unimo tech guy said the engine miss may be due to the oil sludge, he found oil in the bottom of the spark plugs