• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Pajero GDI 3.5 Problems

Riaanvt

Good day all.

I'm new here and new to the Pajero's , I hope you can help as I'm in Botswana (Francistown) and good help is hard to find here.

I just got a 1997 Pajero 3.5 GDI SWB from Japan.

1. As I drove the car is was pulling good (very strong) up to 4000 RPM then lost power but will rev up tp 6000 RPM.

I then decided to do the following , Oil, Oil filter , fuel filter and air filter.

After doing this (The basics ) the car would start but not idle.

If I push the accelerator it would start and idle up to 2000 RPM but will not rev up. The engine light started to flash.

I disconnected the  battery to see if it would reset the light. This worked but then the car will idle (Now and then) but will not rev more than 3000 RPM .

I could not get 100% the correct fuel filter so I assumed it could be a flow problem and I have put the old filter back.

After doing this the same problem accrued with no idle.

I then removed the throttle body with the butterfly motor and sensor on the opposite side. I cleaned everything marking where everything goes and re assemble and fit to car.

Problem was still there. I then looked at the pump in the tank and found this to be new but tank was dirty. I removed the tank and rinsed it out and refitted.

Same problem.

Then I notice that if I get the car started and I touch the brake (Lights on only) I hear a knocking sound and the car wants to die. I found a solenoid under the Throttle body

with a white cone opening and closing . If I disconnect the plug the car does not wat to start at all.

Please advice and any comments are welcome.

Thank you 

46 minutes ago, Davy said:

Hi Riaanvt, welcome to AutoLanka forums! 

For an issue like this on a GDI, the first thing I'd suggest is to get your high pressure GDI pump checked out and cleaned.

Hi Davy

Thank you for the reply. I will see if I can find the high pressure pump and clean it out.

On 1/25/2019 at 10:33 PM, Twin Turbo said:

Taking into account the quality of petrol where you are and the vehicle, I'd recommend you not get a GDI engine vehicle.

TT.

Hi TT.

I don't think it's our petrol. We get our Petrol from South Africa and never had any problems with any of our cars or other 4x4's.

Audi A4 1.8t

Toyota Alteza 2.0 straight 6

Toyota Hilux Surf 4x4

Toyota Sienta 1.5 vvti

Then we are part of the Northan 4x4 club here and there are Pajero's to with no problems. We do use 95 octane petrol.

Thanks Riaan