• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Grace 2015 or Axio 2015 or Premio 2012 ?

Car_noob

Hello Everyone,

I am not much of a car expert and I am to buy a personnel vehicle for daily use in the Colombo area. Hence, I would like your humble opinion on this matter.

I searched through car sales websites and identified three vehicles that goes in my price range.

1. Honda Grace 2015

2. Toyota Axio 2015

3. Toyota Premio 2012

And also, I will have to use this vehicle for more than 8 years. So I would highly appreciate your opinion and your experiences on the above matter.

Thank you in advance.

For more than 8 years the petrol Premio would be a safer bet than the hybrids. If you have to replace the batteries or have to do some work on the hybrid system , things won’t come cheap. The Honda also have a tendency to suffer from its dual clutch gearbox in this traffic and climate. For the long run the premio is a simpler car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, you can find a 2013-2014ish 1st owner non-hybrid axio for 4.5-4.7mil, pay 7k to Toyota Lanka and get it inspected, then get a comprehensive maintenance service done, that'll cost you close to 60-70k at the agent I guess, then you'll have 6-7lakhs left in your hand, that'll at least cover the comprehensive insurance premium for the length of your ownership. You'll have a no-nonsense mile cruncher which is reliable than a Vezel or a hybrid Axio and newer and better looked after than a Premio with many previous owners, and you'll save around 7 lakhs at the end - Sounds like a plan to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Go for a premio
Less depreciation
Value for money
Good fuel consumption
Highest second hand market demanded vehicle

Sent from my INE-LX2 using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

No offense, but you sound like one of the car sale guys

Sent from my HTC Desire 630 dual sim using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Car_noob said:

Hello Everyone,

I am not much of a car expert and I am to buy a personnel vehicle for daily use in the Colombo area. Hence, I would like your humble opinion on this matter.

I searched through car sales websites and identified three vehicles that goes in my price range.

1. Honda Grace 2015

2. Toyota Axio 2015

3. Toyota Premio 2012

And also, I will have to use this vehicle for more than 8 years. So I would highly appreciate your opinion and your experiences on the above matter.

Thank you in advance.

Well it seems you've already made up your mind but i'm posting here just for reference for a future buyer who might need the same comparison. 

The Grace is easily the " more-fun" car of the lot - the only thing is the back is sort of cramped. The DCT makes it fun to drive but at the same time has made people run away when they hear the three letters. IF the car is properly taken care of with frequent changes it will not be an issue. I have friends using 2014 Vezel and  2014 Fit GP5 (same gearbox) without any issue cos they don't skip on maintenance and are extra cautious about the issue. But of course you're looking at a 2015 Grace so it's a bit risky since you're buying something that could not have been well maintained.  

15 hours ago, sathyajithj99 said:

How about a non hybrid axio?

13 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

You'll have a no-nonsense mile cruncher which is reliable than a Vezel or a hybrid Axio and newer and better looked after than a Premio with many previous owners, and you'll save around 7 lakhs at the end - Sounds like a plan to me.

^^ This is the best advice you got on this thread so far. 

The Axio is a very economical car yes and it does not have any of the DCT gremlins. Try to find a non hybrid as the guys mentioned earlier - look for 161. During the middle of last year since the new permits came out there was a handful of them. A friends dad , a government lecturer had a 161 he bought for permit - took care of it like a baby sold for 4.3 after 90,000 km the car was in pristine condition whoever bought it got a really sweet deal. 

As for the venerable Premio - it's the national favorite but this is already 7 years old and in 8 years time the car 15 years old . The thing with the 260's (Allion/Premo) is majority of them have been used like currency - changed hands not documented properly, poorly maintained and mileage tampered - if you do buy one take along a mechanic with you since the chances that you falling for a rigged car are quite high. Also bear in mind that you will have to probably take care of the AC compressor issue ( these are things people kind of tend to not talk about since God himself designed the Premio)  and that too will cost you about 100 k if you do it it at the agents. It's not as 'patta' as people say. 

4 hours ago, delakolla said:

Less depreciation
Value for money
Good fuel consumption
Highest second hand market demanded vehicle

well we really can't predict Second hand market in 8 years time can we? In 8 years it's 2027 and by then the Premio would be 15 years old it's a bit risky to predict the market for a car that would be 15 years old in 8 years time. Also the Allion Premio "patta market" era is  on it's way out.  I personally know some Premios/allions that took months to sell. (and one of them was white with "bej intariyal" ) 

1 hour ago, Car_noob said:

Thank you everyone for your valuable input.

As you mentioned I will try to go for an non-hybrid Axio or a Premio.

if I were you I'd focus on the Axio 161 but that's just me. 

btw there might be a white premio with beige interior (just the perfect combo) up for sale around the chilaw area.

Edited by matroska
Sorry. I should not make fun of an accident where people died.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, hrm said:

Both Premio and Axio 161 has same mechanicals underneath. So don't think 161's AC compressor is a different kind to Premio's.

Is this the same that comes with the 2010ish b/new Yaris as well?  A friend has a yaris that had the same issue. 

6 minutes ago, matroska said:

Is this the same that comes with the 2010ish b/new Yaris as well?  A friend has a yaris that had the same issue. 

That's strange. I thought VDC compressors only came in JDM cars. Yaris being an export version should have normal compressors. Not sure about the newer Ativ variant though. However normal ones also do worn out under heavy usage.

Btw even the newer 2016+ Allion/Premios have the same problem with it's VDC compressor.

21 hours ago, Car_noob said:

Hello Everyone,

1. Honda Grace 2015

2. Toyota Axio 2015

3. Toyota Premio 2012

Thank you in advance.

I assume you are not a hatchback lover. Otherwise Swift RS 2017/2018 is a solid choice which falls right in within your budget.

3 hours ago, matroska said:

Well it seems you've already made up your mind but i'm posting here just for reference for a future buyer who might need the same comparison. 

The Grace is easily the " more-fun" car of the lot - the only thing is the back is sort of cramped. The DCT makes it fun to drive but at the same time has made people run away when they hear the three letters. IF the car is properly taken care of with frequent changes it will not be an issue. I have friends using 2014 Vezel and  2014 Fit GP5 (same gearbox) without any issue cos they don't skip on maintenance and are extra cautious about the issue. But of course you're looking at a 2015 Grace so it's a bit risky since you're buying something that could not have been well maintained.  

^^ This is the best advice you got on this thread so far. 

The Axio is a very economical car yes and it does not have any of the DCT gremlins. Try to find a non hybrid as the guys mentioned earlier - look for 161. During the middle of last year since the new permits came out there was a handful of them. A friends dad , a government lecturer had a 161 he bought for permit - took care of it like a baby sold for 4.3 after 90,000 km the car was in pristine condition whoever bought it got a really sweet deal. 

As for the venerable Premio - it's the national favorite but this is already 7 years old and in 8 years time the car 15 years old . The thing with the 260's (Allion/Premo) is majority of them have been used like currency - changed hands not documented properly, poorly maintained and mileage tampered - if you do buy one take along a mechanic with you since the chances that you falling for a rigged car are quite high. Also bear in mind that you will have to probably take care of the AC compressor issue ( these are things people kind of tend to not talk about since God himself designed the Premio)  and that too will cost you about 100 k if you do it it at the agents. It's not as 'patta' as people say. 

well we really can't predict Second hand market in 8 years time can we? In 8 years it's 2027 and by then the Premio would be 15 years old it's a bit risky to predict the market for a car that would be 15 years old in 8 years time. Also the Allion Premio "patta market" era is  on it's way out.  I personally know some Premios/allions that took months to sell. (and one of them was white with "bej intariyal" ) 

if I were you I'd focus on the Axio 161 but that's just me. 

btw there might be a white premio with beige interior (just the perfect combo) up for sale around the chilaw area.

Thank you matroska for the detailed explanation. Highly appreciate this. 

3 hours ago, hrm said:

That's strange. I thought VDC compressors only came in JDM cars. Yaris being an export version should have normal compressors. Not sure about the newer Ativ variant though. However normal ones also do worn out under heavy usage.

Btw even the newer 2016+ Allion/Premios have the same problem with it's VDC compressor.

Yeah I was also surprised ...but wait wasn't there a 161 the agents sold here B/N? Then if that too got the issue maybe it's common.  I think the newer Allions don't have that option (2017+) at least that's what a relative who has a 2018 model told me . 

52 minutes ago, matroska said:

Yeah I was also surprised ...but wait wasn't there a 161 the agents sold here B/N? Then if that too got the issue maybe it's common.  I think the newer Allions don't have that option (2017+) at least that's what a relative who has a 2018 model told me . 

You meant new Allions don't have the compressor issue? I had to service my AC due to a rodent attack and at the AC place there was this 2017 Premio with 18K or similar mileage and compressor developed the infamous problem. I checked the part number of the unit and it's the same one as mine.

16 hours ago, hrm said:

You meant new Allions don't have the compressor issue? I had to service my AC due to a rodent attack and at the AC place there was this 2017 Premio with 18K or similar mileage and compressor developed the infamous problem. I checked the part number of the unit and it's the same one as mine.

aha then it's still there...well my relative is in for a rude surprise in that case