• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tyre Size 175/80 R14

tilvin

My Wingroad Y12 originally came with 175/70 R14. Sometimes it hits ground when going up / down slopes. I am planning to put a new tyre set with little more height. Will 175/80 R14 ok? Searched so many places. But could not be able to find. Can you guys help?

37 minutes ago, alpha17 said:

You might have used this tool.I gives all the details you want.

Thanks for the reply bro....:rolleyes:. My actual need is where I can find 175/80 R14 in Sri Lanka? I called many shops. They are telling that they are first time hearing a tyre size like this....:rolleyes:.

• Like 1

There only used tyres for sale in quick sale site under that size mate.So its sure that the tires are available,but not much popular around here in SL. Few shops which seems to be popular around the quick sale site.Hope this helps bro:rolleyes:

Tyre Shop,Dehiwela- 0772271712

Sakura Tyre House,Boralesgamuwa- 0770471059

USP Tyre & Auto Center,Boralesgamuwa- 0114347817, 0774904726

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2019 at 3:33 AM, tilvin said:

What about buying,

https://greasemonkey.lk/product/maxxis-lt-series-175-r14-un-999/

Is this different from 175/70 R14? Will this suit?

This is a van tyre

The reason tyre shops don't have is probably because there aren't any popular vehicles in SL which require this tyre size.

Caravan E34 and earlier models of 100 series Hiace came with 185/80R14 tyres.

Townace 40 series were fitted with 165/80R13

80 ratio tyres are generally regarded as van/ute tyres

Edited by Magnum
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, alpha17 said:

There only used tyres for sale in quick sale site under that size mate.So its sure that the tires are available,but not much popular around here in SL. Few shops which seems to be popular around the quick sale site.Hope this helps bro:rolleyes:

Tyre Shop,Dehiwela- 0772271712

Sakura Tyre House,Boralesgamuwa- 0770471059

USP Tyre & Auto Center,Boralesgamuwa- 0114347817, 0774904726

Thanks for the help bro....:). I called Sakura. Seems they have 185R14. They don't have 175R14. Will 185R14 ok? I feel the width seems bit high. So the steering might get more load when turning. What do you think guys?

I checked on that tyre size comparison tool and the 185s seem considerably bigger.You’ll get over 2.5cm increase in ride height so you’ll less likely to scrap the underbody.At the same time you may have the risk of tyres touching the inside of the wheel arcs,reduced fuel economy and reduced handling.But again you’ll get more comfort.

But you can do a simple test which would give you a very rough idea.You can turn the steering all the way to one side,say left and then you can check how much space left between the inside of the wheel arc and the tire.This would only give you a very rough idea since weight and behaviour of the suspension can vary the space.This test would not be even 30%-40% accurate,but just a simple check.

Or else,you can get a set of very cheap chinese tyres and check.That’s the only way you can test accurately.Hope this helps mate?

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2019 at 1:38 AM, tilvin said:

Thanks for the help bro....:). I called Sakura. Seems they have 185R14. They don't have 175R14. Will 185R14 ok? I feel the width seems bit high. So the steering might get more load when turning. What do you think guys?

10mm of extra width won't cause much problem or any problems.

But you are looking at a van tyre. Van tyres cost more than car tyres cuz they are made stronger with a higher weight rating. Stronger tyres would be heavier hence a bit more stress on suspension components. Higher weight rated tyres are designed for heavier vehicles, the tyres may not be able to soften bumps and potholes without that weight placed on them.

Edited by Magnum
  • Thanks 1

I won’t recommend this to anyone,but I know there are people who increased the ground clearance of their cars.One of my friend did so to his 121 few years ago and claimed that it is very useful.It was done using bushes, according to him.Again when I was searching for a Mazda Axela in 2011,another one told me about this ground clearance increasing method using nylon bushes.But let’s not talk about handling and high speed stability:action-smiley-026:

Edited by alpha17

10 hours ago, tilvin said:

Is it? So people who uses CE#T tyres will need to change their shocks every 6 months......?

Generally CE#T tyres are made to be sold at low price so much so they are not of best quality hence they could be hard which can increase wear and tear of suspension. But a hard tyre isn't always strong.

The strength of the tyre is determined by the weight rate. The comfort of the tyre depends on the quality of the tyre(materials used, manufacturing process).

For example, my Hiace came with a new set of Kumho tyres but they weren't that comfy so I replaced them with a set of Continental tyres. The Contis were much softer, the road notice was far less and the handling improved as well, but both the Kumho and Continental had identical weight rating. Only downside of the continental tyre was that it's on the expensive end of the price spectrum.

Tyres play a vital role in any vehicle and there's more variations between tyres than just the size.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Magnum said:

Generally CE#T tyres are made to be sold at low price so much so they are not of best quality hence they could be hard which can increase wear and tear of suspension. But a hard tyre isn't always strong.

The strength of the tyre is determined by the weight rate. The comfort of the tyre depends on the quality of the tyre(materials used, manufacturing process).

For example, my Hiace came with a new set of Kumho tyres but they weren't that comfy so I replaced them with a set of Continental tyres. The Contis were much softer, the road notice was far less and the handling improved as well, but both the Kumho and Continental had identical weight rating. Only downside of the continental tyre was that it's on the expensive end of the price spectrum.

Tyres play a vital role in any vehicle and there's more variations between tyres than just the size.

Thanks for the detailed explanation my friend.....:)