• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Any experience with colonial motors

chathurai

never had any issues with them for 4 + years when they did servicing and basic maintenance of my mazda3. Having said that is was very basic work as it was a brand new car.

What is your car? Being the agent of course they wouldn't have used engines.

• Like 1

Being a very recent Mazda owner I just had couple of interactions with colonial which was good in terms of customer service. 

But price point of view being the agent,It was very expensive as expected from any agent. I was able to do the same job with a genuine part at Mazna. 

I would also suggest you to check with Mazna as well.

I came to know about them from Autolanka as well, there were previous threads in the forum about both colonial and mazna, where there have been both positive and negative experiences. Search the forum. 

im mazna customer since three years now. to be honest im really happy with their service ,but this time i have to replace both engine and gearbox. mazna motors ask me 85k for just a engine , (just a engine part) but i can get whole engine (complete engine with ac compressor, power string pump and etc ) around 170k. but mazna motors wont do repair if i bring parts outside, i have check with colonial motors and they said they can do this repair around 10k. i think thats reasonable price but i have no experience with colonial 

Edited by chathurai

I Don't think Colonial would be an option for engine replacement with a recon- as advised best best is Mazna Motors. They have the parts and experience to deal with any Mazda issue.  Also state your vehicle please it helps other to give you more inputs.

Transmission - having had a tiptronic box with heaps of issues, I can clearly recommend Nilwala for gearbox repairs- many have confirmed their satisfaction. But keep in mind he Simply does  "gearBoxes"  not like the chaps who claim to be able to do any fix.

PM me if you need options

11 hours ago, chathurai said:

im mazna customer since three years now. to be honest im really happy with their service ,but this time i have to replace both engine and gearbox. mazna motors ask me 85k for just a engine , (just a engine part) but i can get whole engine (complete engine with ac compressor, power string pump and etc ) around 170k. but mazna motors wont do repair if i bring parts outside, i have check with colonial motors and they said they can do this repair around 10k. i think thats reasonable price but i have no experience with colonial 

May we know what engine part are we talking about here? Because mazna quoting 85k and the same repair being quoted 10k at colonial does not make sense.At colonial are they accepting parts from outside?

11 minutes ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

May we know what engine part are we talking about here? Because mazna quoting 85k and the same repair being quoted 10k at colonial does not make sense.At colonial are they accepting parts from outside?

i went to mazna to fix some oil leaks of my engine and then they inspect the engine and they recommend me to replace the engine ,engine burn nearly 1l of oil around every 3000km, my car milage also around 240000km , According to what they said they just a replace engine (not included coils, power steering motor,AC compressors. etc ).  im planing to keep my car at least for next 4 years so i want to make this repair last long so thats why i thought replace whole thing one shot. yes i called  colonial and they said they accept parts from outside because they don't have parts for my car (BJ5W)

21 minutes ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

mazna quoted 85k for engine + labour . colonial quoted 10k for labour (i'm bringing engine outside)

So, now the question would be can you source a good quality, low mileage, reliable engine for your BJ5W for below 75K from somewhere else? Have you checked on that? :) And also, did you got a second opinion on the condition of your engine? Maybe it does not need replacement. Just a service with few components may solve your issue. Coz, 240,000Km is nothing much for a Japanese Petrol engine given that the mileage is genuine and it was routinely serviced. 

Thought of suggesting that since you mentioned that you went to fix an oil leak at Mazna and you said that oil burns for about 1l for every 3000kms. So, maybe the oil was actually leaked but not burnt ? :)

Edited by LashNeo

8 hours ago, LashNeo said:

So, now the question would be can you source a good quality, low mileage, reliable engine for your BJ5W for below 75K from somewhere else? Have you checked on that? :) And also, did you got a second opinion on the condition of your engine? Maybe it does not need replacement. Just a service with few components may solve your issue. Coz, 240,000Km is nothing much for a Japanese Petrol engine given that the mileage is genuine and it was routinely serviced. 

Thought of suggesting that since you mentioned that you went to fix an oil leak at Mazna and you said that oil burns for about 1l for every 3000kms. So, maybe the oil was actually leaked but not burnt ? :)

Yes i talked to few of my friends and all of them told me same :) . i also feel this can fix without engine rebuild or replace. and finally came to conclution to take it to some other place and get second opinion. tomorrow i'm going to show my car and will update you guys :) .

11 hours ago, chathurai said:

Yes i talked to few of my friends and all of them told me same :) . i also feel this can fix without engine rebuild or replace. and finally came to conclution to take it to some other place and get second opinion. tomorrow i'm going to show my car and will update you guys :) .

That’s a good decision. Trust me, I’ve been a customer of Mazna for more than a decade now and I’ve been personally promoting their service since they surely do provide a good service. However; business is business. You need to be a bit vigilant when it comes to dealing with local businessman. I know that they brought down a load of used (but good quality) Mazda parts recently and they must be looking to push them to the customers as quickly as possible coz maintaining an inventory is a cost for any company. So, cannot blame them on that. At the end of the day your problem will be solved but you will be paying something extra.

Actually; you can do few things yourself to see whether there’s actual oil burn. Do you notice things such as blue smoke from the exhaust? Oily spark plugs? Rough running engine? Etc. If not; better to fix the oil leaks first and then run the car for some time to see whether the oil level actually drops after the leaks are fixed.

Furthermore; what was the condition of oil when you bought the car? Was it clear? Do you have any maintenance records from the previous owner? If the car was maintained properly for sometime, it’s somewhat hard believe that a sudden oil burning issue would occur.

Maybe I’m wrong here and Mazna people have done a correct diagnosis. But, it’s your car and your money. So better to be open minded, I guess. Some of the guys at Mazna might be actually reading this post and they know me very well. But, what the heck I’m just being true to myself. :D 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LashNeo said:

Some of the guys at Mazna might be actually reading this post

Wish guys at the workshop where I get my car maintained read the AL forum... :D

But anyway, most of the time an oil burning engine can be overhauled to perfection - if Maz*a Motors didn't give you a plausible explanation for why the engine cannot be fixed, you might want to take a second opinion from someplace else.

Here's a thread you might find useful:

Edited by Hyaenidae
embed link
  • Like 1

Here is the update  . friend of my office gave me a contact of workshop around moratuwa call M**or L**k . they did compresson test to check engine condition .result were around 10 to 10.5 and one cylinder is 6.5 and they gave me option to replace the ringset and overhaul gasket set, this whole operation cost me around 47K and this can be go higher if there were any other issues .and i check engine price from some reputed places and they ask me 45k including vvti unite . now the decision is replace the engine or rebuild the engine ?.i still feel replacement is much cheaper, hassle free and faster .. what you guys think ? 

23 hours ago, LashNeo said:

That’s a good decision. Trust me, I’ve been a customer of Mazna for more than a decade now and I’ve been personally promoting their service since they surely do provide a good service. However; business is business. You need to be a bit vigilant when it comes to dealing with local businessman. I know that they brought down a load of used (but good quality) Mazda parts recently and they must be looking to push them to the customers as quickly as possible coz maintaining an inventory is a cost for any company. So, cannot blame them on that. At the end of the day your problem will be solved but you will be paying something extra.

Actually; you can do few things yourself to see whether there’s actual oil burn. Do you notice things such as blue smoke from the exhaust? Oily spark plugs? Rough running engine? Etc. If not; better to fix the oil leaks first and then run the car for some time to see whether the oil level actually drops after the leaks are fixed.

Furthermore; what was the condition of oil when you bought the car? Was it clear? Do you have any maintenance records from the previous owner? If the car was maintained properly for sometime, it’s somewhat hard believe that a sudden oil burning issue would occur.

Maybe I’m wrong here and Mazna people have done a correct diagnosis. But, it’s your car and your money. So better to be open minded, I guess. Some of the guys at Mazna might be actually reading this post and they know me very well. But, what the heck I’m just being true to myself. :D 

same here i have promote them to many of my friends . i have no doubt about their expertise or quality of the service. and this time i don't have money to accept their offer ?. and l***h, ra**sh or ke**m. if you reading this don't worry ill be your day to day customer until i use mazda cars :D .

On 1/19/2019 at 8:08 AM, chathurai said:

Here is the update  . friend of my office gave me a contact of workshop around moratuwa call M**or L**k . they did compresson test to check engine condition .result were around 10 to 10.5 and one cylinder is 6.5 and they gave me option to replace the ringset and overhaul gasket set, this whole operation cost me around 47K and this can be go higher if there were any other issues .and i check engine price from some reputed places and they ask me 45k including vvti unite . now the decision is replace the engine or rebuild the engine ?.i still feel replacement is much cheaper, hassle free and faster .. what you guys think ? 

Hmmm engine replacement will warrant updating of the new engine number on the certificate of registration

Here is the update  . friend of my office gave me a contact of workshop around moratuwa call M**or L**k . they did compresson test to check engine condition .result were around 10 to 10.5 and one cylinder is 6.5 and they gave me option to replace the ringset and overhaul gasket set, this whole operation cost me around 47K and this can be go higher if there were any other issues .and i check engine price from some reputed places and they ask me 45k including vvti unite . now the decision is replace the engine or rebuild the engine [emoji52].i still feel replacement is much cheaper, hassle free and faster .. what you guys think ? 
Since you don't know how much the replacement engine has been run it's kind of risky to go for a recon engine innit? That engine too might need a rebuilding sooner than you think. That's another 45k on top of the 45k you paid for the engine... going for a replacement engine would be cheaper if the replacement engine is already fully rebuilt, I doubt they'll offer it for 45k if that was the case

Sent from my Nokia 1100 using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• 4 months later...