• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic EK3 2000 - Cold Start Problem

Vihanga Liyanage

Hi all,

I have a 2000 Honda civic EK3 and it runs very poorly when started after sitting for about 12 hours. I believe this is due to the engine temperature being lower than the operational temperature. It takes a couple of seconds (5-10) to start too, but when hot, starts within two seconds. RPM starts at 400 - 450 and if I try to hit the gas, the engine stops with misses. I have to keep it idling for about 2 - 3 minutes and then RPM slowly rise to normal.

Any idea what this is?

Thanks in advance,

Vihanga.

Edited by Vihanga Liyanage

According to your other thread, you mentioned that you followed up a fuel consumption issue by getting a tune up done. So if your cold start issue came up after the tune, it could be because they cleaned the throttle body incorrectly, causing carbon deposits to get lodged inside the idle air control valve mechanism and thereby causing it to stick. If this is the issue, properly cleaning the idle control mechanism will fix it.

In your other thread, you mentioned that the Check Engine indicator doesn't work. This is something you need to address as soon as possible.

When the diagnostic scan was done, were any error codes retrieved?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Davy,

Thanks for the reply. This issue was there from the beginning. Even when I'm buying the car, the previous owner said that he also faced this issue and it's probably normal for these kinds of cars. I didn't know much about these at the time but later found out that this is nor normal.

Yeah, you're right. I should get the check engine light fixed soon. And I didn't do a diagnostic scan yet.