• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Iridium spark plugs

HRS

• 4 months later...

Hi there, on the subject kindly comment if the attached pic spark plugs need replacement 

Off a Vitz 2016, Denso Iridium factory ones 

Around 33000km done, SC16HR11

Car had the usual vibration so decided to take a look, they say can run 100,000km on these but I'm not sure,

20190528_104548.jpg

20190528_104543.jpg

20190528_104532.jpg

20190528_104511.jpg

20190528_104508.jpg

20190528_104506.jpg

20190528_104504.jpg

20190528_104058.jpg

20190528_104056.jpg

20190528_104054.jpg

Toyota approved it, in their checkup 

It was a personal import with verified auction documents, was a b***ch to transfer also 

As in they have no set method, they just look at the components and give a tentative readout. I'm not sure how they verified it though 

Do the plugs look run more than 33k? Could it be idling? 

Edited by tiv

The plugs are really hard to find and Agents quote 4500 per plug which they have in stock somewhere 

NGK alternative plug ILFR5C11 is available for 5500 for all 3 plugs,

Just finished registering the car, did the engine oil and CVT changes

Just wondering which way to go and looking at internet pics, the plugs appear to be alright, really have no experience of iridium plugs.

I doubt Toyota touched the plugs during the inspection, they were just vouching for a tune up which cost 22k which I dont think it needs

I strongly disagree on their pricing route as they make this cheap little hatchback like running a full size petrol SUV, I paid only 15k for my montero tuneup and egr clean at Unit#d Mot#rs 

That was 3.2 l with massive pipes and egr unit, involving both manifold being apart and cleaned.

Edited by tiv

3 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

The sparks , although old look serviceable,..   just re-gap the things to speck and use them,..

They say not to regap iridium plugs is that true? , anyway the standard gap is 1.1 mm and they are in that range

yea even 2016 now is a while ago

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tiv said:

They say not to regap iridium plugs is that true? , anyway the standard gap is 1.1 mm and they are in that range

yea even 2016 now is a while ago

The re gap must be done without touching the center electrode,..any hoo,.. since the gap is ok,. ,guess there's nothing to do,..

Edited by Twin Turbo

I`ve used and tried all sorts of spark plugs over the years. Honestly, just use any reputable brand with the ‘correct’ specifications as per the manufacturer.

Iridium, Platinum, Multi-ground, it doesn’t really make a difference as long as manufacturer specs are met for a specific engine. Obviously with materials like iridium the electrode will last longer, but may not be cost beneficial if a set of plugs is multiple times the price of a normal set.  4500 for a spark plug is just crazy!

Also, maybe just run it as it is unless there are issues with fuel consumption, hesitation to accelerate etc..

2 hours ago, MrCat said:

I`ve used and tried all sorts of spark plugs over the years. Honestly, just use any reputable brand with the ‘correct’ specifications as per the manufacturer.

Iridium, Platinum, Multi-ground, it doesn’t really make a difference as long as manufacturer specs are met for a specific engine. Obviously with materials like iridium the electrode will last longer, but may not be cost beneficial if a set of plugs is multiple times the price of a normal set.  4500 for a spark plug is just crazy!

Also, maybe just run it as it is unless there are issues with fuel consumption, hesitation to accelerate etc..

The hesitation and vibration is there, I guess that's native as its 3 cyl and 1000cc with CVT

To be honest it does very well on fuel, I can't seem to finish the injector cleaner I poured in 2 weeks ago with 2000 bucks fuel

Probably above 18kmpl

1 hour ago, tilvin said:

better than a tuk....???

The 660cc ones do 20kmpl,  Toyota hybrids in their prime did latter 20s

But with the repair bills one can buy a tuk

• Haha 1

Experts,

It seems the Honda Fit Hybrid comes with laser irradiums : DILFR6F11G (NGK) which costs almost twice as the alternative Irrdium IX (LFR6AIX11). Is there any incompatibility/engine performance issues with an alternative or just the durability?

• 5 months later...
On 5/29/2019 at 2:31 PM, tiv said:

Toyota approved it, in their checkup 

It was a personal import with verified auction documents, was a b***ch to transfer also 

As in they have no set method, they just look at the components and give a tentative readout. I'm not sure how they verified it though 

Do the plugs look run more than 33k? Could it be idling? 

Did you replace them or still running with? 

On 5/29/2019 at 2:36 PM, tiv said:

The plugs are really hard to find and Agents quote 4500 per plug which they have in stock somewhere 

NGK alternative plug ILFR5C11 is available for 5500 for all 3 plugs,

Just finished registering the car, did the engine oil and CVT changes

Just wondering which way to go and looking at internet pics, the plugs appear to be alright, really have no experience of iridium plugs.

I doubt Toyota touched the plugs during the inspection, they were just vouching for a tune up which cost 22k which I dont think it needs

I strongly disagree on their pricing route as they make this cheap little hatchback like running a full size petrol SUV, I paid only 15k for my montero tuneup and egr clean at Unit#d Mot#rs 

That was 3.2 l with massive pipes and egr unit, involving both manifold being apart and cleaned.

Toyota Lanka prices are ridicules they quoted Rs 60-70K for a Vitz service 40K km to a person working with me.

This is for normal service with oil and filter change, CVT oil change, tuneup with spark plugs replacement.

22 hours ago, kush said:

Toyota Lanka prices are ridicules they quoted Rs 60-70K for a Vitz service 40K km to a person working with me.

His 40k km service itself will cost him Rs. 1.62 per km. if he is doing services for every 5,000 km with assumed cost of Rs. 16,000 per service, total cost for 40k km would be Rs. 177,000 (16,000 * 7 + 65,000) which is Rs. 4.42 per km. 

For my Aqua (almost same size car), total maintenance cost for 77,500 km usage (from 0 km ODO) is Rs. 160,000 as at now (including all body washings, wiper blades, etc. but excluding Rs. 60,000 for Tire set, ) which means its Rs. 2.06 per km.

** I never servicing from TL, but oils/parts are purchasing. And I m doing my services perfectly on-time as recommended by the manufacture.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...