• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Vios 2003 Head Gasket Trouble

Psyco

Question

Hi, My car got heated and now it seems having a gasket leak, My mechanic (Very genuine one) advised me to replace the Engine, instead of replacing gaskets as it may having a higher chance to fail. What should I do? What are the pros and cons of either actions.Thanks in advance.

3 answers to this question

A blown head gasket is no reason to replace the engine. Just buy the gasket overhaul kit, repair it and you're done.

With a reconditioned engine, you never know what you are going to get. It might be worse than the engine on the car. 

How many kilometres on the car? Does it show signs of wear like smoke from the exhaust or burning oil? 

Edited by Davy

FIrst find a better mech who cando a head job.

find and fix the overheating ,

check the thermo valve, water pump and cooling fan operation,..

then , as Davy pointed out, replace the head gasket and get thehead pressuretested before refitting.

TT.

Edited by Twin Turbo

13 hours ago, Psyco said:

it may having a higher chance to fail

This is not true. if this engine has no other problem, then best option is to replace the head gasket.

engines from this era probably has cast iron block and aluminium head, so overheat and/or sudden cool-down might cause to slight deformation of head surface.

normally in gasket replacement process, head will be refaced.additionally valve seats will be cleaned up.

this is 8+ hours task (full day). so best option is just to replace the head gasket.