• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How to replace AC evaporator of Prado 120 model

MaheshK2

Guys, I have a Prado 2005 petrol one. Problem is with air condition system. it seem that there is a gas leak and technician advise me to replace cool box since the issue is with it. My concern is that to replace this he needs to remove complete dashboard. Please let me know is there a other way to replace it with out removing the total dashboard ?

Hi MaheshK2, Welcome to the forum!

That's just the way it is. The evaporator is inside the dashboard. Some mechanics make it seem like a job that will put their life at risk to make it look complicated and expensive. In reality, it's just removing dash trims, console, sometimes a bit of AC plumbing and motor chamber to access it - not the entire dashboard.

Take it to another AC repair shop and get it leak tested again properly to make sure it isn't the plumbing in the engine bay that's leaking.

Good luck!

6 minutes ago, Davy said:

Hi MaheshK2, Welcome to the forum!

That's just the way it is. The evaporator is inside the dashboard. Some mechanics make it seem like a job that will put their life at risk to make it look complicated and expensive. In reality, it's just removing dash trims, console, sometimes a bit of AC plumbing and motor chamber to access it - not the entire dashboard.

Take it to another AC repair shop and get it leak tested again properly to make sure it isn't the plumbing in the engine bay that's leaking.

Good luck!

Thanks Davy. it's lot for me. Will check with another Mech. Is there a known & recommended place to do this job ?

Yes it's a big job as the emtire dash has to be removed for hvac box in the middle of vehicle to be taken out.

seek experienced mechs or you'll end up with extra parts. And like Davy mentioned,. make sure it is the evaporator is having the leak,.before taking the car apart.

Good luck

Edited by Twin Turbo

On 1/11/2019 at 11:26 AM, Hyaenidae said:

And endless rattles everywhere! 

Thanks guys. i checked the issue with another mech. One of my friend's bit known place. He has replace Ac filter only which is blocked fully. Checked the leak and no need of removing  the cool box or the dash board for the moment. Done this thing in last week . still no issue and AC is working perfectly. Thanks again for your valuable advice.

16 hours ago, MaheshK2 said:

Thanks guys. i checked the issue with another mech. One of my friend's bit known place. He has replace Ac filter only which is blocked fully. Checked the leak and no need of removing  the cool box or the dash board for the moment. Done this thing in last week . still no issue and AC is working perfectly. Thanks again for your valuable advice.

On 1/11/2019 at 4:56 PM, Hyaenidae said:

And endless rattles everywhere! 

Cheers, and wish you cool-running,..

TT.