• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Question

When registering an unregistered vehicle for the first time, is it normal to have rounded numbers as engine capacity?

Assume the actual CC is 658CC which is mentioned with the vehicle and CR to have 650CC as the engine capacity?

If these two has such difference, will it be a problem in the long run?

9 answers to this question

I bought a motorcycle last year and the specified engine capacity was 399cc however when registering the CR says 400cc. I Don't think it'll be a big problem.

Me neither. But wanted to get clarified.

then better to ask from the DMT itself buddy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, irda said:

When registering an unregistered vehicle for the first time, is it normal to have rounded numbers as engine capacity?

Except Name and address all other details they are getting from Export certificates. If its a Japan imported vehicle as mentioned on the JAAI, JEVIC or BV.

• Like 2

Well this is all because of taxation purposes.

Usually tax brackets are defined in round figures. Example 660cc,  1000cc, 1500cc, 1800cc, 2000cc or over , etc.  In order to prevent your car falling into next highest bracket, manufacturers intentionally fudge these numbers. You will notice those engine capacities are marked as 658cc, 998cc, 1498cc, etc in the registration documents. 

There is no harm for doing it because 2cc is a very nominal value which is a barely measurable performance change, even if it is tested.

Also this has become a norm in the automobile industry and local authorities, customs, regulatory bodies well aware of.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trish_auto said:

Well this is all because of taxation purposes.

Usually tax brackets are defined in round figures. Example 660cc,  1000cc, 1500cc, 1800cc, 2000cc or over , etc.  In order to prevent your car falling into next highest bracket, manufacturers intentionally fudge these numbers. You will notice those engine capacities are marked as 658cc, 998cc, 1498cc, etc in the registration documents. 

There is no harm for doing it because 2cc is a very nominal value which is a barely measurable performance change, even if it is tested.

Also this has become a norm in the automobile industry and local authorities, customs, regulatory bodies well aware of.

The problem in my case is, my vehicle is stated as 658CC. But in the book, it's mentioned as 650CC. Not 660CC. So will it be a problem when selling the vehicle?

1 hour ago, irda said:

The problem in my case is, my vehicle is stated as 658CC. But in the book, it's mentioned as 650CC. Not 660CC. So will it be a problem when selling the vehicle?

May I know the car model ?

Have 2 with the same value, guess its a wrong preset they have.