• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

ABS unit malfunction in Panda Cross

GAPAUTO

Question

Few months back my ABS unit starts to malfunction. The ABS light comes on time to time when driving. When i took it to micro they said the the ABS unit it malfunctioning time to time and it not a issue in the sensors. By the way they first tried by cleaning the sensors :). They also amazed about this because the car was just finishing 2.5 years and only ridden 9000km. I remembers the last time before this ABS problem starts to show up, at the smoke test they put thier engine sensor with the magnet kind of thing on something similar to this ABS unit. if that was the ABS unit can that magnet thingy can cause the ABS unit to malfunction ?

7 answers to this question

I believe the magnetic probe that they place on the engine is for the purpose of measuring the engine RPM. It needs to be placed on a bare metal surface for the probe to be firmly ground to the chassis. The ABS module has a pretty thick housing, so I don't think the magnetic tip of the probe would have interfered with the module. Even if it did, it wouldn't have been sufficient to cause issues IMO. 

When the diagnostic scan was run, do you know the exact error codes that were read?

@Davy

No micro didn't provide me the error codes, i forgot to ask them even for future references. But what they told me is that the device was malfunctioning time to time it cannot be predicted at what time it will malfunction. As your saying if it cannot be happen due to the smoke test RPM probe, then i think it might be factory defect in the device :(.

1 hour ago, GAPAUTO said:

@Davy

No micro didn't provide me the error codes, i forgot to ask them even for future references. But what they told me is that the device was malfunctioning time to time it cannot be predicted at what time it will malfunction. As your saying if it cannot be happen due to the smoke test RPM probe, then i think it might be factory defect in the device :(.

Doesn't your car have a warranty?

On 12/31/2018 at 1:37 PM, GAPAUTO said:

Few months back my ABS unit starts to malfunction. The ABS light comes on time to time when driving. When i took it to micro they said the the ABS unit it malfunctioning time to time and it not a issue in the sensors. By the way they first tried by cleaning the sensors :). They also amazed about this because the car was just finishing 2.5 years and only ridden 9000km. I remembers the last time before this ABS problem starts to show up, at the smoke test they put thier engine sensor with the magnet kind of thing on something similar to this ABS unit. if that was the ABS unit can that magnet thingy can cause the ABS unit to malfunction ?

at the smoke test they put thier engine sensor with the magnet kind of thing on something similar to this ABS unit. if that was the ABS unit can that magnet thingy can cause the ABS unit to malfunction"

This is the vibration sensor, which reads the vibration at a particular RPM and estimate the RPM based on the vibration. Type of sensor used in the vibration sensors in these devices are mostly piezoelectric. I don't think this or the magnetic in that has anything to do that ABS unit.  Most probably it is a malfunction of electronics or sensors in the ABS unit.  What you can do is, take it back to Micro (or some other know place) where you can find a spare ABS control unit of similar model. Try your vehicle with that ABS unit and check whether the problem is still there.

Most probably it is a malfunction of electronics or sensors in the ABS unit.  What you can do is, take it back to Micro (or some other know place) where you can find a spare ABS control unit of similar model. Try your vehicle with that ABS unit and check whether the problem is still there.

Before that make sure wheel speed sensors are in working order.

Edited by trish_auto

On 1/2/2019 at 12:20 AM, GAPAUTO said:

It has passed the warranty period for brake related units.

are you sure about this? may be ABS unit is still covered although wearable parts like rotors are not

did you try to scan using ODB2 scanner and get the codes ?