• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Can this be fixed?

alpha17

3 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Looks like someone disassembled the door card for some reason and couldn't put it back properly? Cannot think a reason for something like this to happen... ? do all 4 doors look the same?

No mate.All doors look same.The car has done 112,000km.A trustworthy car of a close relation.

There are little water drain holes on all the doors (they are not even holes..they are like slight slits in the weld...). These, in combination with air vents, help water that gets dripped in to the door get drained/vaporized out. Check if those holes are clogged (they have a tendency to get blocked with grime after some time). When the water gets trapped inside the excess humidity inside the door kind of starts soaking up the door cars and material. As this happens the glue sort of gets messed up and the upholstery material starts to wrinkle like that. Sometimes this also effects the mechanicals and electricals inside...

Depending on the door design of the model/manufacturer and  this can be a common occurrence in high rain and humidity areas. Also, check if the window beading (especially the bottom one which wipes the windows when they get rolled down) are not worn-out. When these get worn out the water does not get wiped off properly as the window gets rolled down and too much water goes in to the door. This can also happen if for some reason the humidity inside the car (either because of the area but most likely because of how it is parked) is quite high....

But yes..those can be fixed quite easily....if you are brave enough it can be an easy DIY job as well (I believe @Davy did a thread about fixing up door upholstery sometime back). If not just take it to any decent "seat cover" guy....

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This can be due to many reasons IMO:

1. Excess heat due to parking under the sun for a long period that causes the fabric to expand and thereby detach from the glue. 

2. Harsh chemicals used to clean being absorbed by the fabric and breaking down the glue. 

3. Intense interior cleaning causing the fabric to be pulled away from the glue due to excessive vacuum. 

4. And lastly a manufacturer's defect which is quite plausible. Like the BMW E39 headlining sagging under the hot Sri Lankan weather conditions. 

I doubt water from rain and washing the car being trapped in the door could cause this as there is a polythene sheet separating the door card from the door cavity. Also, the fabric is glued on to the plastic door card, so exposure to the elements from the rear of the door card is a bit unlikely. 

Link to my DIY that I attempted a few years ago is included below:

• Thanks 1

@Davy Can you p.m me a place which can do a quality job?

I saw some of the allions and premios advertised from the same era have upholstered from leather.This might be the cause.I think the main reason for that is the heat.Since the car has been parked under the direct sunlight,and the maroon colour absorbs heat this can be the reason.

2 hours ago, Davy said:

I doubt water from rain and washing the car being trapped in the door could cause this as there is a polythene sheet separating the door card from the door cavity. Also, the fabric is glued on to the plastic door card, so exposure to the elements from the rear of the door card is a bit unlikely. 

Yes..there is a plastic sheet...but sometimes the cuts on the plastic sheet to let in door handle components, etc...through do start to sag after some time and the water vapor does get trapped (especially in high temp and humidity places...where even the thick plastic sheets start getting messed up). Again..not that common but it is prone to that.

Also, in some cases the plastic sheet does not get put back on properly if people remove it for various reasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GayanR said:

For sure those service center guys used their favourite high pressure water machines on those doors interior.

I've seen them use liquids that smell stronger than gasoline to wipe down the upholstery....so those things melting out the glue is not surprising I suppose...

14 hours ago, iRage said:

I've seen them use liquids that smell stronger than gasoline to wipe down the upholstery....

Sorry to hijack the thread but a quick question : I have a dashboard spray (Brand : Flamingo) that is 2 years old - the spray can itself has started to rust but it has 2/3 of liquid left so I didn't throw it away. It doesn't mention anything about an expiry date - only says the its manufactured in 2016. Can I still use this without any ill-effects? How long does chemicals like these usually last?

11 hours ago, alpha17 said:

I’m from Kegalle.The car is in Colombo and my relation told that he will fix it and give an interior cleaninng.

Lal cushion in mount lavinia may handle small jobs like this, the big places in darley road are overated and too busy 

8 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Sorry to hijack the thread but a quick question : I have a dashboard spray (Brand : Flamingo) that is 2 years old - the spray can itself has started to rust but it has 2/3 of liquid left so I didn't throw it away. It doesn't mention anything about an expiry date - only says the its manufactured in 2016. Can I still use this without any ill-effects? How long does chemicals like these usually last?

We have meds with longer shelf lives, I doubt it will have any effect even if it's oil based , aerosol paints last usually 4 years.

• Thanks 2

On 12/25/2018 at 3:13 PM, alpha17 said:

@Davy Can you p.m me a place which can do a quality job?

I saw some of the allions and premios advertised from the same era have upholstered from leather.This might be the cause.I think the main reason for that is the heat.Since the car has been parked under the direct sunlight,and the maroon colour absorbs heat this can be the reason.

As tiv said, Lal Cusion is a good place. Another good place is Deens in Havelock Road. They are expensive, but don't think they'll charge much for this since it's a simple job.

If you are up for it, I think you could easily repair it yourself. :) Just take the door card off, inspect how the fabric is secured to the plastic and slowly separate if from one edge. Then use a very thin layer of adhesive (Multibond would do) and paste the fabric. This is what any place you take the car to would do.

22 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

If you are not sure, do a spot test somewhere inconspicuous on the dashboard and observe for a couple of weeks before actually using it. I think it should be fine.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Davy said:

As tiv said, Lal Cusion is a good place. Another good place is Deens in Havelock Road. They are expensive, but don't think they'll charge much for this since it's a simple job.

If you are up for it, I think you could easily repair it yourself. :) Just take the door card off, inspect how the fabric is secured to the plastic and slowly separate if from one edge. Then use a very thin layer of adhesive (Multibond would do) and paste the fabric. This is what any place you take the car to would do.

Owner agreed to repair it for me?.So I’ll recommend him of these two places.Thanks