• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Check engine comes up when accelarate beyond 2000 RPM

Chanaka Gunawardena

Hi Experts,

I'm using a honda civic ek3 for past 8 years. YOM 1996 and currently 214690 on the ODO (D15B EFI Engine / Manual)

My problem is now when i accelerate beyond 2000 RPM and hold it in there (In Idle & Also while driving) check engine comes up. I don't notice any difference in drive or fuel consumption when this happens. Once I turn off the ignition check engine sign disappear. If I keep it under 2000 RPM check engine sign never show up.

Funny thing is no one can find a OBD1 or OBD2 port on the car to scan it. So scanning the car is not possible.

Today I have changed the TPS as instructed by my mechanic. But issue was still same.

I  haven't done a engine tuneup in a while but since there is no problem with fuel efficiency & engine performance i don't think it's necessary. (Correct me if i'm wrong)

Fuel filter haven't been changed for the entire time.

Services are done on correct mileage and recent one done on last week.

Did the emission test last week and no problems in that report.

Can someone help me to figure out what's going on with my car ?

Thanks in advance !

Edited by Chanaka Gunawardena

On 12/21/2018 at 6:49 PM, Chanaka Gunawardena said:

Hi Experts,

I'm using a honda civic ek3 for past 8 years. YOM 1996 and currently 214690 on the ODO (D15B EFI Engine / Manual)

My problem is now when i accelerate beyond 2000 RPM and hold it in there (In Idle & Also while driving) check engine comes up. I don't notice any difference in drive or fuel consumption when this happens. Once I turn off the ignition check engine sign disappear. If I keep it under 2000 RPM check engine sign never show up.

Funny thing is no one can find a OBD1 or OBD2 port on the car to scan it. So scanning the car is not possible.

Today I have changed the TPS as instructed by my mechanic. But issue was still same.

I  haven't done a engine tuneup in a while but since there is no problem with fuel efficiency & engine performance i don't think it's necessary. (Correct me if i'm wrong)

Fuel filter haven't been changed for the entire time.

Services are done on correct mileage and recent one done on last week.

Did the emission test last week and no problems in that report.

Can someone help me to figure out what's going on with my car ?

Thanks in advance !

To start with,

this car comes with a OBD1 port which is located under left dashboard. Port should look probably green colour or blue.
Secondly, most of the garages have the bluetooth scanner. Go for a garage which has the cable scanner and those comes with a OBD1 adapter which can be connected to yours (as far as i know). Best thing is to get it scanned without replacing items blindly.

Where do you live? If you are close by i can recommend a garage which has this scanner.

• 3 years later...

Due to reduced performance, rough idle and random engine knocks I thought of doing an Engine tuning last weekend. My check engine issue was there all this time and I didn't try to fix it.

Since the person who does the engine tuning good with identifying issues with the scanner, I asked him to have look. As @PerfMad explain to me, we found OBD1 green color 3 pin connector hidden near ECU in a cover on passenger side. (Mystery solved)

I had 3 error codes related to MAP sensor & Both Knock Sensors. (Not sure the engine has 2 knock sensors) MAP sensor error went away after the cleaning and we checked it while driving and results looks normal (No sensor replacement required). It seems like both knock sensor wires were unplugged since no data can be read from the scanner. Found one located in the back of the engine just above the oil filter I have to take the car to a different mechanic to find and connect the wires first.

I will update the thread once this is done.

Edited by Chanaka Gunawardena
  • Like 1