• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

trish_auto

This is based on my experience of renewal of driving license. This is applicable to anyone has a driving license of;

1. Old school type (book) got damaged, faded.

2. Driving license with magnetic strip got damaged, faded.

Both these types have no expiry date printed, it means you can use them as long as  driving license is readable and undamaged.

There was a circulation to mandate all these previous versions to be updated into new system, but it has not yet been implemented. AFIK

There are two steps:

1. Medical Examination:

It is compulsory to appear for a medical examination. This is done in several places in the country. In Colombo district you can go for Werahera or Nugegoda.

Procedure is set out under this http://www.ntmi.lk/images/pdf/the_process_of_issuing_medical_fitness_cirtificate.pdf

I went to National Transport Medical Institute - Nugegoda branch. 

- It opens around 8.30 AM but you can go there up to 10.00 AM depending on the numbers. Per day they take around 600 applicants.  No parking inside the premises unless you are a V*P.

- take your driving license and National Identity Card.

- Queue 1:  Here you will be measured for body weight and height. Then they issue you a simple form (Registration form for obtaining a medical fitness certificate) with a TIN number ( in order of the issue) mentioning your body weight and height. You have to fill out the rest of the details, your name, Driving license number and purpose of the medical test, date and signature. Make sure details are correctly filled, else your details in the final certificate may be wrong.

- Queue 2 : This is for registration and payment. This takes quite bit of time. As far as I have noticed, they take nearly 3-4 hrs to serve 500 + numbers.  They will take you according to your TIN number though you are smart to cross the queue.  So not necessary to stand or wait in the queue all the time. If you know who is ahead of you in the queue, you can go out for a coffee and come back.   

Once you are called, they will ask your driving license, NID and form given to you earlier.  First they will  enter your details into the system. Will take a photo of you. Also they will ask your telephone number. After registration is completed they give you back the endorsed form.  Take that to the payment counter. For light vehicle it cost Rs.800/=

- Queue 3 :  This for examining your blood.  This was done at a separate place to the registration. Here you will not be taken strictly to the TIN. But more or less you will be there according the previous order.  Produce your NID, Driving License and the form with you. They will test your blood glucose and blood group. Not necessary to take your blood group verification details.

- Queue 4 :  This is for examining your body fitness, blood pressure and vision.  Here you will be called according to the TIN. Usually they will take you in group of 10 at a time.  First they will verify your registration details one by one.

Physical test: You will be given few hand and leg movements to verify any disability or abnormality.  Similar to the school time PT period.  

Vision test : You will be checked for the vision, any play in your eyes. If you are wearing glasses, make sure to take them.

Blood Pressure:  They will verify your blood pressure.

- Queue 5 :  This is the final queue where you will be given the certificate. You will be called by the TIN.

n.b: There are cases where you will not get the certificate without any trouble or they will deny to issue you a certificate. Specially if you have high blood sugar, high blood pressure or any problem with your legs or hands (swollen joints, cellulitis, etc) you will be further examined or will be rejected.  X-ray examination is required for application for heavy vehicle driving license for first time.

1. Obtaining Driving License:

It is not mandatory to obtain the driving licence on the day itself of the medical examination. you can go any date up to 6 months of the medical examination.

You can obtain your driving license in any of the regional office including the head office at Werahera. In Werahera it is pretty much efficient and streamlined. If you go Werahera, you have to go before 3.00 PM for regular service and before 12.00 noon for one day service. But these times are little flexible as I noticed.

- Queue 1: On arrival you will be issued a token upon verifying your NID, Driving License and Medical Fitness Examination Certificate.  Then you will be taken in number on around 10.

- After this, you will directed to counters.

In the first counter, they will verify your details including the previous driving license details. etc. Then they issue you a form printed with those details and will direct you to another counter.

In the second counter you have to produce your finger prints and they will take a photo of you. This is the photo which will be appearing in your driving license.  After that they will print another page including your photograph, where you have to enter your postal address, telephone number, date and signature. This is basically the application form.

In the third counter all the documents will be scanned including your NID, previous driving license, application form ,etc. They will punch the previous driving license before it is returned to you.

Finally, in the payment counter you will be charged according to the type, regular or same day service. Upon payment you will get a receipt and temporary driving license (for regular service).  According to them, in regular service you will be receiving the driving license within 3-4 weeks by registered post. 

For same day service you have to go to driving license collection center located outside the main building. 

n.b: If you are not planning to get the driving license on same day, it is advisable to go around 2.45 pm-3.15 pm, if you don't want to wait long in the queue.  They don't accept debit/ credit cards, take enough cash with you. Else there is an ATM just outside the main gate.

Have a good day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, trish_auto said:

This is based on my experience of renewal of driving license. This is applicable to anyone has a driving license of;

Both these types have no expiry date printed, it means you can use them as long as  driving license is readable and undamaged.

There was a circulation to mandate all these previous versions to be updated into new system, but it has not yet been implemented. AFIK

There are two steps:

1. Medical Examination:

It is compulsory to appear for a medical examination. This is done in several places in the country. In Colombo district you can go for Werahera or Nugegoda.

Procedure is set out under ......

Have a good day.

Thanks for this :)

Now I need to check if converting a foreign driver's license requires the same :) I suppose I need to check if I am eligible to convert my foreign driver's license as i have an old SL license as well. If not I suppose it will be easier to just use an International Permit :) 

26 minutes ago, iRage said:

Thanks for this :)

Now I need to check if converting a foreign driver's license requires the same :) I suppose I need to check if I am eligible to convert my foreign driver's license as i have an old SL license as well. If not I suppose it will be easier to just use an International Permit :) 

Yes

Just now, trish_auto said:

Why driving test for renewing your license ?? unless you met with an accident which deletes all your memory and habits. ☹️

Some one told me or I read some where that you needed to take the test again when applying for the new type of license (the one with the chip). So you get the old type (with the magnetic strip) when renewing?

2 minutes ago, asrock said:

Some one told me or I read some where that you needed to take the test again when applying for the new type of license (the one with the chip). So you get the old type (with the magnetic strip) when renewing?

That argument is senseless. Because your driving skills are not related to the type of driving license you are holding. Unless you add a new category top on what you have.

Driving licenses with magnetic strips are no longer issued. If you have a one, keep securely, because it has no expiry date.

6 minutes ago, asrock said:

So the new one you got has an expiry date? My magnetic strip one is also fading away, maybe it'll become unreadable during next year.

Yes it has. 8 years. Dude, please keep it safely. If you get caught by traffic police, regardless of the mistake/ violation you did, they will send you to the court.  When it comes to law carrying a illegible driving license is equivalent to not having a valid driving license. You can't argue and win on that.  

• Like 1

On 12/19/2018 at 6:15 AM, trish_auto said:

There are two steps:

1. Medical Examination:

Procedure is set out under this http://www.ntmi.lk/images/pdf/the_process_of_issuing_medical_fitness_cirtificate.pdf

I went to National Transport Medical Institute - Nugegoda branch. 

- It opens around 8.30 AM but you can go there up to 10.00 AM depending on the numbers. Per day they take around 600 applicants.  No parking inside the premises unless you are a V*P.

- take your driving license and National Identity Card.

- Queue 1:  Here you will be measured for body weight and height. Then they issue you a simple form (Registration form for obtaining a medical fitness certificate) with a TIN number ( in order of the issue) mentioning your body weight and height. You have to fill out the rest of the details, your name, Driving license number and purpose of the medical test, date and signature. Make sure details are correctly filled, else your details in the final certificate may be wrong.

- Queue 2 : This is for registration and payment. This takes quite bit of time. As far as I have noticed, they take nearly 3-4 hrs to serve 500 + numbers.  They will take you according to your TIN number though you are smart to cross the queue.  So not necessary to stand or wait in the queue all the time. If you know who is ahead of you in the queue, you can go out for a coffee and come back.   

Once you are called, they will ask your driving license, NID and form given to you earlier.  First they will  enter your details into the system. Will take a photo of you. Also they will ask your telephone number. After registration is completed they give you back the endorsed form.  Take that to the payment counter. For light vehicle it cost Rs.800/=

- Queue 3 :  This for examining your blood.  This was done at a separate place to the registration. Here you will not be taken strictly to the TIN. But more or less you will be there according the previous order.  Produce your NID, Driving License and the form with you. They will test your blood glucose and blood group. Not necessary to take your blood group verification details.

- Queue 4 :  This is for examining your body fitness, blood pressure and vision.  Here you will be called according to the TIN. Usually they will take you in group of 10 at a time.  First they will verify your registration details one by one.

Physical test: You will be given few hand and leg movements to verify any disability or abnormality.  Similar to the school time PT period.  

Vision test : You will be checked for the vision, any play in your eyes. If you are wearing glasses, make sure to take them.

Blood Pressure:  They will verify your blood pressure.

- Queue 5 :  This is the final queue where you will be given the certificate. You will be called by the TIN.

n.b: There are cases where you will not get the certificate without any trouble or they will deny to issue you a certificate. Specially if you have high blood sugar, high blood pressure or any problem with your legs or hands (swollen joints, cellulitis, etc) you will be further examined or will be rejected.  X-ray examination is required for application for heavy vehicle driving license for first time.

1. Obtaining Driving License:

It is not mandatory to obtain the driving licence on the day itself of the medical examination. you can go any date up to 6 months of the medical examination.

You can obtain your driving license in any of the regional office including the head office at Werahera. In Werahera it is pretty much efficient and streamlined. If you go Werahera, you have to go before 3.00 PM for regular service and before 12.00 noon for one day service. But these times are little flexible as I noticed.

- Queue 1: On arrival you will be issued a token upon verifying your NID, Driving License and Medical Fitness Examination Certificate.  Then you will be taken in number on around 10.

- After this, you will directed to counters.

In the first counter, they will verify your details including the previous driving license details. etc. Then they issue you a form printed with those details and will direct you to another counter.

In the second counter you have to produce your finger prints and they will take a photo of you. This is the photo which will be appearing in your driving license.  After that they will print another page including your photograph, where you have to enter your postal address, telephone number, date and signature. This is basically the application form.

In the third counter all the documents will be scanned including your NID, previous driving license, application form ,etc. They will punch the previous driving license before it is returned to you.

Finally, in the payment counter you will be charged according to the type, regular or same day service. Upon payment you will get a receipt and temporary driving license (for regular service).  According to them, in regular service you will be receiving the driving license within 3-4 weeks by registered post. 

For same day service you have to go to driving license collection center located outside the main building. 

n.b: If you are not planning to get the driving license on same day, it is advisable to go around 2.45 pm-3.15 pm, if you don't want to wait long in the queue.  They don't accept debit/ credit cards, take enough cash with you. Else there is an ATM just outside the main gate.

Have a good day.

This is extremely useful.Quick question. Based on your experience If I go werahera before 3.00pm will I have time to do both medical and the renewal of the license ( for regular service)? 

1 hour ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

This is extremely useful.Quick question. Based on your experience If I go werahera before 3.00pm will I have time to do both medical and the renewal of the license ( for regular service)? 

No. That is only to submit the application.  As explained above, " Queue 1: On arrival you will be issued a token upon verifying your NID, Driving License and Medical Fitness Examination Certificate.  Then you will be taken in number on around 10." . You need to have the medical fitness certificate by then. Its a prerequisite for submission of driving license application.

Medical examination will take minimum of 3 hrs.  It can be obtained from any of the  National Transport Medical Institute branches. Here is the branch network.

http://www.ntmi.lk/index.php?option=com_gmapfp&view=gmapfplist&Itemid=205&lang=en

If you are based in Colombo you can obtain from one of the following ways:

1. From Nugegoda Branch :  Recommended to go there before 10.00 AM. Per day they take around 600 heads (max) . But it depends on the availability of examiners (doctors) per day. Once you get the test done, you have to reach Werahera  before 12.00 noon for one day service before 3.00 PM for regular service.  Non peak hours it takes around 20 mins by car from Nugegoda to Werahera. There is a dedicated (so called) three wheel service for that as well.  Parking in the Nugegoda is bit of hassle when you go late there.

2. From Werahera Branch:   Here both works can be get it done at one place. Still you have to get the medical test done first, then go to the driving license application.  Usually many applicants for medical examination compared to Nugegoda. So you have to reach very early if you are planning to get the same day service. Usually people are there from 6.00-6.30 AM.  

Comparing both, it is recommended to go Nugegoda for medical examination and then go Werahera for driving license.  Its saves queuing time according to me.  If you don't have a strict deadline you can get the medical one day and go for driving license application another day.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, trish_auto said:

No. That is only to submit the application.  As explained above, " Queue 1: On arrival you will be issued a token upon verifying your NID, Driving License and Medical Fitness Examination Certificate.  Then you will be taken in number on around 10." . You need to have the medical fitness certificate by then. Its a prerequisite for submission of driving license application.

Medical examination will take minimum of 3 hrs.  It can be obtained from any of the  National Transport Medical Institute branches. Here is the branch network.

http://www.ntmi.lk/index.php?option=com_gmapfp&view=gmapfplist&Itemid=205&lang=en

If you are based in Colombo you can obtain from one of the following ways:

1. From Nugegoda Branch :  Recommended to go there before 10.00 AM. Per day they take around 600 heads (max) . But it depends on the availability of examiners (doctors) per day. Once you get the test done, you have to reach Werahera  before 12.00 noon for one day service before 3.00 PM for regular service.  Non peak hours it takes around 20 mins by car from Nugegoda to Werahera. There is a dedicated (so called) three wheel service for that as well.  Parking in the Nugegoda is bit of hassle when you go late there.

2. From Werahera Branch:   Here both works can be get it done at one place. Still you have to get the medical test done first, then go to the driving license application.  Usually many applicants for medical examination compared to Nugegoda. So you have to reach very early if you are planning to get the same day service. Usually people are there from 6.00-6.30 AM.  

Comparing both, it is recommended to go Nugegoda for medical examination and then go Werahera for driving license.  Its saves queuing time according to me.  If you don't have a strict deadline you can get the medical one day and go for driving license application another day.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I think I had better clear my schedule and dedicate one whole day for this purpose only. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I renewed my Very old driving licence today and thought of sharing my experience on top of what Trish_auto has articulated. My intention was to get the Medical certificate + Licence in one day.

• Went to National transport of medical institute Nugegoda (NTMI) around 6.45am. Already people were lining up and my TN number was 41. The process was exactly as Trish_auto has explained.I was able to get the certificate to my hand at 9.30am. (It is advisable to go there between 6.00 and 7.00 AM if you are planning to get the licence and the medical certificate in the same day).
  • Had a quick snack and reached RMV werahera at 10.30am. Here the processes are pretty straightforward. My token Num was 192 and they have already started calling normal and one-day service applicants simultaneously when I reached.
  • After about 30min of arrival they started calling one-day service applicants and I was able to complete the whole process by 11.45am. They asked me to collect the licence in 2 hours at the office just near the main gate. (As far as i understood per day they take around 200 applications for one-day service)
  • I went out and after about 2 hours came back to collect the card. when i inquired at the office they told me that my application has still not being processed and asked me to check back at one of the counters in the office inside. So I went back to the counter they directed me to go to and the officer apologized " Sir samawenna tawa peyakin api licence eka ewannam" ( thought to myself "a typical Govt office blunder" ).
  • I waited for 45min and finally they called my name to collect the licence.

Bottom line- with the exception of the blunder I would say I am happy with the service I received (I used public transport and the process could actually be faster if you use your own transport). But would advise to someone who's opting for one day service to stay in the vicinity for at least an hour after you completed the licence application and the payment process. Check your status with one of the officers at the collection office before heading out and come back. ( Just to be rest assured that your request is in progress while you are away).

Cheerz.

Edited by K.o.N.o.S
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Guys I renewed my Very old driving licence today and thought of sharing my experience on top of what Trish_auto has articulated. My intention was to get the Medical certificate + Licence in one day.

• Went to National transport of medical institute Nugegoda (NTMI) around 6.45am. Already people were lining up and my TN number was 41. The process was exactly as Trish_auto has explained.I was able to get the certificate to my hand at 9.30am. (It is advisable to go there between 6.00 and 7.00 AM if you are planning to get the licence and the medical certificate in the same day).
  • Had a quick snack and reached RMV werahera at 10.30am. Here the processes are pretty straightforward. My token Num was 192 and they have already started calling normal and one-day service applicants simultaneously when I reached.
  • After about 30min of arrival they started calling one-day service applicants and I was able to complete the whole process by 11.45am. They asked me to collect the licence in 2 hours at the office just near the main gate. (As far as i understood per day they take around 200 applications for one-day service)
  • I went out and after about 2 hours came back to collect the card. when i inquired at the office they told me that my application has still not being processed and asked me to check back at one of the counters in the office inside. So I went back to the counter they directed me to go to and the officer apologized " Sir samawenna tawa peyakin api licence eka ewannam" ( thought to myself "a typical Govt office blunder" ).
  • I waited for 45min and finally they called my name to collect the licence.

Bottom line- with the exception of the blunder I would say I am happy with the service I received (I used public transport and the process could actually be faster if you use your own transport). But would advise to someone who's opting for one day service to stay in the vicinity for at least an hour after you completed the licence application and the payment process. Check your status with one of the officers at the collection office before heading out and come back. ( Just to be rest assured that your request is in progress while you are away).

Cheerz.

By the way if you can mention for the reason of renewing your very old driving license ? was it the old school book type ? This information may useful to others. 

Edited by trish_auto
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, trish_auto said:

By the way if you can mention for the reason of renewing your very old driving license ? was it the old school book type ? This information may useful to others. 

Yes. Sorry forgot to mention. My old school licence was faded and unreadable. So thought of renewing before I get apprehended for having an illegible licence. 

59 minutes ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Yes. Sorry forgot to mention. My old school licence was faded and unreadable. So thought of renewing before I get apprehended for having an illegible licence. 

Thanks.  According to police, old school books are no longer valid despite they are damaged or not. But I am not sure whether this rule is strictly followed up. Suppose they returned your the previous license (after cancelling) back to you ?

9 minutes ago, trish_auto said:

Thanks.  According to police, old school books are no longer valid despite they are damaged or not. But I am not sure whether this rule is strictly followed up. Suppose they returned your the previous license (after cancelling) back to you ?

Yes they returned me the previous licence after punching. I am also not sure about this rule. Been driving with my old school licence for more than a year. Luckily never got caught or stopped by traffic police.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Yes they returned me the previous licence after punching. I am also not sure about this rule. Been driving with my old school licence for more than a year. Luckily never got caught or stopped by traffic police.

Not only the DMT, banks too returning the old cards after punching. A bank officer said punch is a physical indication of cancelled card. Unfortunately we can not test punched bank cards because the same time they update the system too. But we may test punched licenses until crops update. :D

5 hours ago, kusumsiri said:

Not only the DMT, banks too returning the old cards after punching. A bank officer said punch is a physical indication of cancelled card. Unfortunately we can not test punched bank cards because the same time they update the system too. But we may test punched licenses until crops update. :D

banks too returning the old cards after punching .." ?  ?? I never come across such a thin in my life because bank never request your expired card to issue the new one.

Driving licenses can not be spot checked for its authenticity since traffic police don't have access to a centralized data base for the full details of the driving license. Still the entire system is paper based here.  Even you take a fake duplicate of your old type driving license, there is no way to verify it by the police (unless it is sent to DMT).  Though the new drivers license are better off with finger print details and embedded chip, there is no full use of what it is meant for.  But there was a plan to implement with drivers point system to issue spot traffic fines but it never realized.  If that system had been implemented by now more than 50% of those three wheel drivers, bus drivers and fake license holders would have found other means of living...But we are lucky to survive with these stone aged system, where enough room to play around with rules and regulations happily. 

In SL, drivers don't scared of breaking the rules as long as cops are not there..If cops are there ..some drivers tend to be over smart, extra disciplined and wasting effective time given to pass through traffic lights. ? 

Edited by trish_auto

5 hours ago, trish_auto said:

banks too returning the old cards after punching .." ?  ?? I never come across such a thin in my life because bank never request your expired card to issue the new one.

Driving licenses can not be spot checked for its authenticity since traffic police don't have access to a centralized data base for the full details of the driving license. Still the entire system is paper based here.  Even you take a fake duplicate of your old type driving license, there is no way to verify it by the police (unless it is sent to DMT).  Though the new drivers license are better off with finger print details and embedded chip, there is no full use of what it is meant for.  But there was a plan to implement with drivers point system to issue spot traffic fines but it never realized.  If that system had been implemented by now more than 50% of those three wheel drivers, bus drivers and fake license holders would have found other means of living...But we are lucky to survive with these stone aged system, where enough room to play around with rules and regulations happily. 

In SL, drivers don't scared of breaking the rules as long as cops are not there..If cops are there ..some drivers tend to be over smart, extra disciplined and wasting effective time given to pass through traffic lights. ? 

Agree with you almost all things. In my case it was a valid credit card which I ask them to cancel before it expire. So bank returned me the punched card. img_164153.thumb.jpg.2179ce1ccc32b62cbbb6239a68ffaa1a.jpg

Most of our idiots want to stay inside the water well. That's why we are having stone age systems yet. How many times so called bus, three wheel unions against to change motor traffic related laws. :( Pushing the country forward is difficult with those idiots. But still keeping hope. So just wasted around 30min to reply to a post in SLTV group.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...