• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic EK3 2000 - Bad Fuel Consumption.

Vihanga Liyanage

Hi all,

I recently bought an EK3 and noticed that it does really bad on petrol. Even when I try to keep it always under 2000 RPM, does only 4-5 Kms per liter. The engine runs good, sounds good and have good pick up as well. There are no oil leaks and it doesn't burn oil either. The check engine light doesn't come up and I think it's either removed or burn out though. 

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome to AL,..congrats on your new ride. is the car a manual?

Firstly, does the eck eng light come on when you turn on the ignition?

looking for maintenance history will get you nom where as there won't be any,..change your petrol pumpingstation and fill up. then check,.. there are disparaties in pumps .Since petrol is a highly evaporative fuel, find a shady spot to parl to park during the day,..

You may need a full systems check on the car, as your consumption is like that of a car in stationary traffic with the a/c on full.

TT.

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Like 1

In my experience on my ES8, a Honda should not be driven like a thel hingannas Toyota. If you actually drive briskly rather than keeping revs low all the time, it will do better on fuel. Of course being a 18 year old car, it may have certain worn componenents which are not helping the fuel consumption, but adjusting driving patterns help.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Thanks for the replies Twin Turbo and rukmaldk!

Yes, it's a manual, and I've checked the fuel consumption in outstation rides as well, refueling from several stations.

No, unfortunately, the check engine light doesn't come up ? I think it's either burned out or someone removed it.

Took it to a tune-up yesterday and found out that the scanner port is also not there. Guy looked everywhere under the dash but couldn't find it. Did a manual tune-up anyway, cleaned injectors and intake system and replaced injector filters and plugs. Tune-up guy said there could be a fault with the O2 sensor.

Now I'm thinking the first thing to do is fix the scanner port somehow. It should tell whatever is not working right?

On 16 December 2018 at 11:12 AM, Vihanga Liyanage said:

Thanks for the replies Twin Turbo and rukmaldk!

Yes, it's a manual, and I've checked the fuel consumption in outstation rides as well, refueling from several stations.

No, unfortunately, the check engine light doesn't come up ? I think it's either burned out or someone removed it.

Took it to a tune-up yesterday and found out that the scanner port is also not there. Guy looked everywhere under the dash but couldn't find it. Did a manual tune-up anyway, cleaned injectors and intake system and replaced injector filters and plugs. Tune-up guy said there could be a fault with the O2 sensor.

Now I'm thinking the first thing to do is fix the scanner port somehow. It should tell whatever is not working right?

On the ES series it is near where the left leg rests while driving, just behind the ash tray area, EK might also share similar wiring

On 12/14/2018 at 6:24 PM, rukmaldk said:

In my experience on my ES8, a Honda should not be driven like a thel hingannas Toyota. If you actually drive briskly rather than keeping revs low all the time, it will do better on fuel. Of course being a 18 year old car, it may have certain worn componenents which are not helping the fuel consumption, but adjusting driving patterns help.

Mate, it would really be helpful if you just give the facts rather than complaining about "thel hingannas toyota".. Would be helpful to say to drive legally fast as possible while keeping low revs and do smooth acceleration. Don't keep your anger on someone or group bcos it will make your whole day unhappy.  Just ignore and move on..??

Cheers..

I have been using a EK-3 (manual-EXI) same age as yours for last five years. According to my experience it should be doing 10- 11 KMPL in short distance runs. If you are in  around Kandy area bring it to Dananjaya @ polgolla Auto service and do a full checkup. Maintaining 2000 rpm does not help much for honda AFAIK.

Hi all,

False alarm on the scanner port! It was on the left side of the car and the tune up guy didn't know it. Guess he's not a Honda guy per se. Anyway, after the tune-up kinda forget about the 2000 rpm limit and drove free. If I'm burning too much petrol might just have some fun at least. ;) Fuel meter didn't show a drastic decrease though. But it's too soon to tell, I only drove about 80 kms yet.

Let's see what happens. Some say this could be an issue with the TPS sensor too.

By design, Honda engines produce normal power at a comparatively higher rpm than their counterparts.

So whatmay seem  excessive for others may be normal to your car.

Enjoy the drive,..?

P.s. start by replacing sparks and air filter.

TT.

Edited by Twin Turbo

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Sorry about replying so late. Stucked in work for a long time.

I'm happy to say after the tune-up fuel consumption increased to about 8-9 kmpl. Given what we started, this is much better.

I know there's few more km to gain on the consumption rate. I think some bad sensors are the cause for that. I couldn't get it to a checkup or check on the check engine light yet. Need to take part the dashboard and see what has happened to the indicator.

Thanks all for the comments!

Regards.

Vihanga.

I'm no Honda expert but I feel you should stick to taking the guy to a Honda Expert (Honda Related) -  Not all tune up guys can fix issues - A one fits all policy does not work.  The simple fact that he could not locate the scan port means he has very little experience with Honda's . Hence sometime you may replace the O2 sensor for no reason where as the problem may lay somewhere else.

Glad to hear that most of the issues are sorted.

Edited by mazdaspeed