• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best car option for 2.7mn

ramdr

Question

Guys,

I'm looking to buy a car with a budget of 2.6,7 mn. Any suggestions?

thought of buying a Honda (civic ES5) or Mitsubishi (lancer). I've been told that better to go for 1500 cc or less capacity vehicle.

Since this is my first hands-on experience in buying a recondition vehicle, seeking your expert advice on this. 

Thanks

3 answers to this question

5 hours ago, ramdr said:

Guys,

thought of buying a Honda (civic ES5) or Mitsubishi (lancer). I've been told that better to go for 1500 cc or less capacity vehicle.

Since this is my first hands-on experience in buying a recondition vehicle, seeking your expert advice on this. 

Thanks

Both are nice cars. You will probably be able to source a newer lancer for that price.  If you are buying a  lancer try to get the 1.5 or 1.6 L one cs2/cs3.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2018 at 8:58 AM, ramdr said:

Guys,

Thanks

Do you have any specific concerns, such as;

• Second hand market price
  • Average travel per day/ week
  • Comfortability
  • Performance and Options

Buying a used car is in a way a gamble. It is really hard to find a carefully used, well looked after car in the second hand market.  Both of these models are more than a decade old, probably passed through several users. In my opinion, don't always fix on the figures.  carefully check for the previous users, if it is the first owner with a lower mileage, you are lucky. As long as it has been serviced on time, don't bother too much on the mileage.  Keep it mind, good things are generally above the average selling price. But worth compared to the hazel you are taking for unexpected breakdowns.

Engine capacity vs fuel economy is not a linear relationship.There are many things which govern the fuel efficiency.  Type of transmission, type of engine, driving habits, hauling weight, etc. There are hardly all rounders in cars and not necessarily. 

Due to the slash in import duties for cars below 1000cc in last budget, most people still go for unregr or b/n cars in that tax bracket.   According to your budget you can go for a 650cc unreg one, get a better fuel economy over the two models that you have mentioned with additional bells and whistles. But these are kei type cars(smaller size, lower acceleration, only four riders) not like standard sedan or wagon models.

Good Luck with your search 

Edited by trish_auto

On 12/13/2018 at 9:58 AM, ramdr said:

Guys,

Thanks

Choose a vehicle depending on your requirement (whether it is for Colombo daily office driving, Normal home use or to commute to longer distances)

I haven't used a Lancer but as for the Civic, I've used the Facelift model Es1 Leather trim (2004 Model / 2008 Registered) , The 1.6 Liter engine is actually not very economical for city driving considering it rarely makes over 8-9 KMPL tbh( 5 years back) so since this is a car over a decade old now, You will need to find one with a good maintenance record with a relatively low mileage if you are planning to beat more than 12 KMPL in Colombo. 

Outstation driving( 60+ KMH driving at a stretch) will give you a decent 14-17 KMPL even though im not sure of my accuracy of this as i have measured it by dividing distance over fuel used, and is not accurate as a fuel efficiency meter in newer cars)

In terms of pickup, I guess the I-Vtec is not that bad as it was plentiful for a daily driver and never faced an under-power situation unless you are traveling with over 5 passengers and a boot full of stuff

In terms of comfort, It sure is top notch as it is very spacious and comfortable for longer rides considering its price point.  

The rear window visibility is not that great considering the taller and boxy design so ur gonna need a reverse camera if you're in for tight parking in a daily basis.

Back when i bought it its market value was 3.2 Million (face-lift leather trim one) so i guess this car does have a depreciation in the market as there is plenty available now for just over 2.6 Mil ( so be mindful if you are planning to  use it for a while) 

Ultimately its a great car if you take good care of it with regular service intervals if you are really in for it.

But my ultimate advise would be for you to select a newer and much more fuel efficient car if you are in for daily office travelling as it can save you a lot in maintenance and fuel costs along with depreciation value when you sell it ( its hard to sell a car with higher milage specially if you use it daily as you eventually pass the 100K point in just over 2 years)

I am no expert on how good Wagon R's or suzuki S-ENE/Hybrid cars are in terms of reliability. But i am currently using a Passo KGC-30 Model and it sure is way better in fuel efficiency and is cheaper in overall maintenance specially with regular services done at a good place ( A*W P*tst*p). It isnt hybrid but has idle stop and was just over 2.9 Mil reconditioned auction Grade 4.5. 

But you can grab a Fit GP1 hybrid for about 3 Mil these days so if you can push for a little more, Its a great car for that price point!