• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

buying a toyota prius 2008 or aqua 2012

Rohitha1988

Hi All, 

I am planning to buy a toyota prius 2008 or Aqua 2012. before that I would like to know some basic details about maintenance cost of toyota hybrid cars since they need additional attention than conventional gasoline cars.

Right now I am driving a vitz(im driving at 14km/l in city) and my main reason behind purchasing a hybrid is to save more on fuel. 

I am driving around 1000km per month

Guys help me calculate overall cost per km of a hybrid car 

• Sad 1

Aqua will be better than prius with regard to fuel consumption, given that you stay on "Economic Range", as per one of my "Friend" based on his Aqua. I drive a 2012 Prius and I get average 15kmpl from and to colombo daily (100km up and down) even though I'm always on Power mode and drive it like a normal gasoline car. So if you want to be more economical, you will have to turn "Eco" mode on, which has less acceleration. Not sure how much it will save you as I never drive on Eco mode. 

3 hours ago, Rohitha1988 said:

Hi All, 

I am planning to buy a toyota prius 2008 or Aqua 2012. before that I would like to know some basic details about maintenance cost of toyota hybrid cars since they need additional attention than conventional gasoline cars.

Right now I am driving a vitz(im driving at 14km/l in city) and my main reason behind purchasing a hybrid is to save more on fuel. 

I am driving around 1000km per month

Guys help me calculate overall cost per km of a hybrid car 

Is it ok if you save 50,000 a year on fuel and spend 100,000 a year on maintenance? 

If so, go for the hybrid. 

If not, stay with the vitz

• Like 3

@1000 km per month you have to factor in the additional capital spent plus expenses for maintenance and failures unique to hybrids of the vintage you mention - ABS pump, hybrid battery, inverter pump etc. The 2008 2nd generation Prius is a solid vehicle and a pleasure to drive compared to the aqua with the notable exception of oil consumption after 150000km and the repairs mentioned.  If the purpose of buying is just to save money from fuel expenses - 1000 km a month does not justify the cause. The Vitz drives better than the Aqua. One could say that the Aqua feels like a Bajaj at times but it's frugal on fuel. I own a 2008 2nd Gen Prius on which I used to put 3000 Km monthly and a 2014 Aqua for my wife's town use amongst others and I'm sharing 1st hand experience here. Im still on my original hybrid battery on both vehicles 224000 on the Prius and 34000 on the AquaIMG-2c11a120ef838eada6d716ff06c045bd-V.thumb.jpg.9ddd6567cf030972325139e825718ddc.jpg

Edited by mcs627

16 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Is it ok if you save 50,000 a year on fuel and spend 100,000 a year on maintenance? 

If so, go for the hybrid. 

If not, stay with the vitz

This is very true.

You will be save more money from your Vitz than Prius or Aqua. The reason is both cars are very old for Hybrids and you have to spend lots of money for maintenance and repairs. I was owns a 2008 prius. 

If you want upgrade from Vitz go for higher grade Petrol Car. If you badly need hybrid for save money from fuel go for Brand new Hybrid.