• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Allion 2009 NZT260 80K service advice

spectre

Hello All,

We were given a Toyota Allion 2009 (NZT260) car as a gift and car seems to be having very decent and well maintained interior and exterior conditions. But this doesn't mean engine and other parts are very well maintained. Therefore, i would like your recommendations on doing the upcoming 78,633 KM service from a local service station or any other stations like w*rth or ster*ing or clean*ark.

1. My biggest worry is i don't see any record that transmission oil replaced for this car. Kindly advice is it good to do the CVT oil change at TL with said service and how much would it cost please. Found on internet it takes up 8.09 Ltr for a full CVT oil change.? Also is it worth to go with Toyota OEM CVT oil and place to buy this and cost.?

IMG_4597.jpg

edec1bf89197e47d6cb33337754b403a0a38c845.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=253490

2. I heard from a friend that TL wouldn't go extreme on fully emptying the CVT oil, cleaning the magnets, cleaning the inner covers whole shebang and filling the oil up. Is that correct or is he wrong in this.?

Image result for 1nz fe cvt oil

I only made couple of trips to colombo and Galle so engine condition of car is still unknown to me. But so far yet no weird noise from engine, no power loss or any other issues noticed. But i do experience a 5-6 seconds of screechy noise from the belt after a cold start up. It does not come up on warm start up. Normally my car did 12.4 on Highway and in colombo with 1 passenger somewhat heavy traffic 8-9 km with AC on with settings 23c. So i guess fuel consumption is at its best.?

I don't have a big financial backing yet so keeping this car at optimal is good for our "punchi family". Aha, one more thing. I also have this stupid feeling deep down where i like to see water coming out of the silencer. LOL. I don't see it now and would it come if I do a tune up.?

IMG_4598.jpg

Hope this is looking good for the car.

Thanks a lot for looking at this long post and appreciate your inputs.

Cheers.

Edited by spectre

CVT oil supposed to be changed at 40K KM or less intervals and you better use genuine Toyota CVT-TC oil for that. I haven't done CVT oil changes at the agent so I'm not sure how they actually do it but even normal service places nowadays do remove oil pan and clean magnets etc but make sure to do this at a reputed place/agents who are familiar with CVTs. Roughly 15-20K will be charged for a CVT oil change (CVT oil can price included). Roughly same would cost for a general service at TL. If you are not sure about car's status get an inspection done from TL.

City fuel figures of 8-9KMPL is just about right but it should do little more than 12.4 on highway or even on a flat road (long journeys) if you travel in constant speed and easy on throttle. In the eco certificate YOM is mentioned as 2007 not 2009. Maybe car got registered at 2009? And also the idle RPM is 1200 where as this should be around 600-650. I assume AC is off and engine is in operating temperature when the test is done and if so you have to get it checked as idle rpm of 1200 is way to higher for Allion.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hrm said:

CVT oil supposed to be changed at 40K KM or less intervals and you better use genuine Toyota CVT-TC oil for that. I haven't done CVT oil changes at the agent so I'm not sure how they actually do it but even normal service places nowadays do remove oil pan and clean magnets etc but make sure to do this at a reputed place/agents who are familiar with CVTs. Roughly 15-20K will be charged for a CVT oil change (CVT oil can price included). Roughly same would cost for a general service at TL. If you are not sure about car's status get an inspection done from TL.

City fuel figures of 8-9KMPL is just about right but it should do little more than 12.4 on highway or even on a flat road (long journeys) if you travel in constant speed and easy on throttle. In the eco certificate YOM is mentioned as 2007 not 2009. Maybe car got registered at 2009? And also the idle RPM is 1200 where as this should be around 600-650. I assume AC is off and engine is in operating temperature when the test is done and if so you have to get it checked as idle rpm of 1200 is way to higher for Allion.

Hi thanks for the reply brother.

The eco certificate was on glove box when i got the car. But idle rpm is right as you said. Without AC on the handle is floating below 1000. Nearly 650-750 range.

I found this Genuine OEM oil can around 10,000/= for 4L and car would require 8L as it seems. I told father in law to sell the car and we would settle for a Aqua or Fit car. Is it a wise decision given my financial status.? Coz this one will cost me LKR 1150/= for a colombo trip (55km) and that is waste of money atm.

2 minutes ago, spectre said:

Hi thanks for the reply brother.

The eco certificate was on glove box when i got the car. But idle rpm is right as you said. Without AC on the handle is floating below 1000. Nearly 650-750 range.

I found this Genuine OEM oil can around 10,000/= for 4L and car would require 8L as it seems. I told father in law to sell the car and we would settle for a Aqua or Fit car. Is it a wise decision given my financial status.? Coz this one will cost me LKR 1150/= for a colombo trip (55km) and that is waste of money atm.

CVT oil doesn't fully come out when doing replacement and always some would remain in the gear box. When I did my last CVT oil change they used only 1 can (4L). If you travel a lot having a hybrid makes sense but you should know they have additional maintenance items such as the hybrid system and battery and are smaller in size compared to a sedan.  Do a search in the forum as both Aquas and Fits has been discussed many times here.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hrm said:

CVT oil doesn't fully come out when doing replacement and always some would remain in the gear box. When I did my last CVT oil change they used only 1 can (4L). If you travel a lot having a hybrid makes sense but you should know they have additional maintenance items such as the hybrid system and battery and are smaller in size compared to a sedan.  Do a search in the forum as both Aquas and Fits has been discussed many times here.

Okay. Noted. I saw few users claim they were able to get 16-18 km for a colombo trip and that is bearable atm. On a Hybrid; Maintaianance cost is the next thing i worry about. ?

If you dont know the situation of the cvt oil, better do it now and start a record.

I changed my cvt oil from TL. And yes they do full service including magnets and oil pan. You should instruct them specifically to do that and also they add some extra cost.

Costs are higher now. I did this on September 2017

1543285600458100886336.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BlueRaiden said:

If you dont know the situation of the cvt oil, better do it now and start a record.

I changed my cvt oil from TL. And yes they do full service including magnets and oil pan. You should instruct them specifically to do that and also they add some extra cost.

Costs are higher now. I did this on September 2017

1543285600458100886336.jpg

Thank you so much for your lovely effort on the reply brother. +1 (if i can give) ;) I have told my father-in-law to sell this and give us a hybrid car. Lets see how it goes now. 

4 hours ago, spectre said:

Thank you so much for your lovely effort on the reply brother. +1 (if i can give) ;) I have told my father-in-law to sell this and give us a hybrid car. Lets see how it goes now. 

Wait- Before blindly disposing the 260 and going for a so called hybrid i think you need to consider a few things 

a) Driving pleasure - Hybrids behave rather differently to the traditionals, esp on driving experience. They can be pretty silent but you know - i honeslty felt driving hybrids pretty lifeless 

b) Hybrid battery depreciation can be an issue. If you are buying a second hand you have to be very careful on the battery condition because if you get a car with a dying battery it can give you more expenses rather than benefits.

c) Do a depreciation price differentials between same age hybrids and non hybrids - Non hybrids such as the 260 tend to hold better value 

d) Hybrids are technically much more complicated to their non hybrid counterparts , and you need to maintain them at Hybrid dedicated workshops, Non hybrids in contrast could be repaired at many places 

e) Comfort wise the 260 will give you more space , looks and actually more ease of mind i would say. and much more fun to drive than an aqua or a prius 

44 minutes ago, Sadik said:

Wait- Before blindly disposing the 260 and going for a so called hybrid i think you need to consider a few things 

a) Driving pleasure - Hybrids behave rather differently to the traditionals, esp on driving experience. They can be pretty silent but you know - i honeslty felt driving hybrids pretty lifeless 

b) Hybrid battery depreciation can be an issue. If you are buying a second hand you have to be very careful on the battery condition because if you get a car with a dying battery it can give you more expenses rather than benefits.

c) Do a depreciation price differentials between same age hybrids and non hybrids - Non hybrids such as the 260 tend to hold better value 

d) Hybrids are technically much more complicated to their non hybrid counterparts , and you need to maintain them at Hybrid dedicated workshops, Non hybrids in contrast could be repaired at many places 

e) Comfort wise the 260 will give you more space , looks and actually more ease of mind i would say. and much more fun to drive than an aqua or a prius 

b,c and d as well as the comfort factor..I would somewhat agree....however driving feel..it depends on the Hybrd itself. The Aqua actually has a much more livelier frame than the Allion. It feels nimble and very chuckable...the steering is typically lifeless like in any Toyota but feels a lot more livelier than the Allion. If you get a G'sport or a GR Sport then the feeling is much better. The Fit too is rather fun to drive...also....at certain instances the electric motor is quicker than the gasoline engine up to a certain point.

Bottom line is...the 260 is NOT a fun car to drive...so yeah..there really s not much of a point putting fun driving experience in to the equation.

I think having driving fun or pleasure is not the OP's problem and Allion/Premio is not that type anyways. So does many everyday Toyotas.  But it is not a time bomb that's waiting to explode (if maintained) so I would suggest you to drive it for sometime then go for a hybrid or whatever if it doesn't match your needs. By that time you might have save some cash for a much newer car as well.

PS: I received an Alto similar to you. Didn't like it but kept it for a while until I could go for a proper upgrade.

Edited by hrm
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, iRage said:

Bottom line is...the 260 is NOT a fun car to drive...so yeah..there really s not much of a point putting fun driving experience in to the equation.

..meh, I know of people who have fun driving their WagonRs... 

D' you know how they do it? They play a game with themselves to see how much they can push the fuel economy of the thing. So everyday they try something new, mostly what they do is driving slower than usual... and when that FE indicator shows .1 km/l more, there! FUN! Hoo-frickin-ray!

And when they get tired of doing that, they drive uphill, reset the FE indicator, drive down the hill, take a photograph of the FE indicator, and post it on one of the many "WagonR owners group"s on facebook and challenge other WagonR owners to beat his/her fuel economy! 

So you see, any car can be fun, you just have to have the right mindset.

• Haha 3

My concern is properly maintaining the 260 and keeping it standards. If I can’t do it why keep it rather than letting it go to somebody who does it better (or worse). Atm my cashflow is very bad and the car would be sitting in my garage for at least 3-4 months. 

I do get the point 260 is simple and easy to maintain rather than a hybrid like Fit, Aqua etc but city fuel consumption figure is the main culprit here to have this exchange to another car thought. I do feel very bad to give away this. ?

on another note: its very good to see two EK members here as well. ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have decided not to sell the car and just keep it with me and go for an occasional ride to keep the engine oil unclogged.

Thank you everybody for sharing your thoughts on this.

I would love if somebody can post an image on a recent service done by TL to get some insight of a normal service costing. How much does it cost to get an inspection report including ECU errors from TL.? 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 7:53 PM, spectre said:

I have decided not to sell the car and just keep it with me and go for an occasional ride to keep the engine oil unclogged.

I would love if somebody can post an image on a recent service done by TL to get some insight of a normal service costing. How much does it cost to get an inspection report including ECU errors from TL.? 

probably the best choice for now....

A few points to note:

- by occasional I hope you mean at least every weekend or so and not some really long period (like 4 or 6 weeks) of inactivity.

- you should use the car on an occasional (yet regular) basis not just for oil unclogging but other factors as well. Tires, need to rotate and come up to tempareture, hoses, hydraulic/oil lines transmission components, etc...need to come up to temperature (warm fluids running through, etc..), if they are to last; AC/cabin air needs to be circulated, etc...if te interior is to not get mouldy and absorb moisture and then start deteriorating. 

- A lot of people start the car for a few minutes (to get the battery charged up) until the temp gauge comes to middle and then shuts it off. Although the temperature gauge shows engine is warm, it does not necessarily mean oil temperature has reached the proper temp ;which actually is a strain on the engine and just doing this over a period of time can actually constitute as severe usage for the car. Also, vital components do not get fluids flowing through and reach proper operating temp them selves.

So....use the car on a regular basis....go for a drive with the family...enjoy having a nice car. Being overly careful and conservative might actually cost you more than actually using it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, iRage said:

probably the best choice for now....

A few points to note:

- by occasional I hope you mean at least every weekend or so and not some really long period (like 4 or 6 weeks) of inactivity.

- you should use the car on an occasional (yet regular) basis not just for oil unclogging but other factors as well. Tires, need to rotate and come up to tempareture, hoses, hydraulic/oil lines transmission components, etc...need to come up to temperature (warm fluids running through, etc..), if they are to last; AC/cabin air needs to be circulated, etc...if te interior is to not get mouldy and absorb moisture and then start deteriorating. 

- A lot of people start the car for a few minutes (to get the battery charged up) until the temp gauge comes to middle and then shuts it off. Although the temperature gauge shows engine is warm, it does not necessarily mean oil temperature has reached the proper temp ;which actually is a strain on the engine and just doing this over a period of time can actually constitute as severe usage for the car. Also, vital components do not get fluids flowing through and reach proper operating temp them selves.

So....use the car on a regular basis....go for a drive with the family...enjoy having a nice car. Being overly careful and conservative might actually cost you more than actually using it.

Sure machan. I will follow these instructions. Actually I found the original import documents like port authority slips, original car owners manual, dvd setup book etc and giving away this would be a foolish thing to do at this condition.

On 11/27/2018 at 2:00 PM, Sadik said:

Comfort wise the 260 will give you more space , looks and actually more ease of mind i would say. and much more fun to drive than an aqua or a prius 

LMAO ... fun to drive  if driving a sofa is fun. 

On 11/28/2018 at 6:23 PM, spectre said:

OP this is the best decision you have made. Now I disagree with the above post on a 260 being fun to drive.  Horses for courses - the premio/allion were not made to be fun cars ...  but a reliable appliance that will get you from A-B.  Also even though people think the 260's are bullet proof bear in mind their A/C compressors are prone to pack up ...this is all true BUT 

1. Buying a used car is not a very pleasant experience at times. 

2. If you're buying a hybrid you have to get battery reports etc. 

3. Pleasure and the novelty factor aside the 260 is an old school car from the early 2000's conveyor belt of basic a-b cars...very little that could go wrong here. [CVT box, A/C compressor aside ]  

I've used a hybrid previously and there's no need to get overly alarmed there's no magic/rocket science there BUT a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush so it's much better to keep the car that you have. Although the second hand market for the 260 is not as it was some time back you will still be able to peddle it off relatively easily - specially in the outstations. Don't worry overly about the car - just use it...don't think too much about fuel figures and what could go wrong. Carpe Diem!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matroska said:

LMAO ... fun to drive  if driving a sofa is fun. 

OP this is the best decision you have made. Now I disagree with the above post on a 260 being fun to drive.  Horses for courses - the premio/allion were not made to be fun cars ...  but a reliable appliance that will get you from A-B.  Also even though people think the 260's are bullet proof bear in mind their A/C compressors are prone to pack up ...this is all true BUT 

1. Buying a used car is not a very pleasant experience at times. 

2. If you're buying a hybrid you have to get battery reports etc. 

3. Pleasure and the novelty factor aside the 260 is an old school car from the early 2000's conveyor belt of basic a-b cars...very little that could go wrong here. [CVT box, A/C compressor aside ]  

I've used a hybrid previously and there's no need to get overly alarmed there's no magic/rocket science there BUT a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush so it's much better to keep the car that you have. Although the second hand market for the 260 is not as it was some time back you will still be able to peddle it off relatively easily - specially in the outstations. Don't worry overly about the car - just use it...don't think too much about fuel figures and what could go wrong. Carpe Diem!

Cheers for the advice mate. ^_^