• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Emac

Question

Hi Experts

Need your opinion to choose a family vehicle. I travel around 60 KM daily to work and back mostly on the hi-way and make long distance trips ones a month with family. Preferably a car that's manufactured after 2011. Should be able to stretch the budget a bit more if it's worth it. I'm trying to keep away from the Hybrids at time.

The Toyotas seems over priced so I kind of selected the following models:

• KIA Sportage
  • Ford Ecosport
  • Korando
  • Honda FD4
  • Hyundai Elantra 

What I'm looking for

• Comfortable/ Reliability
  • Maintains and spare parts 
  • After sales value after 3 years
  • Fuel above 10 Km/L

However, I'm not fixed with any particular model If there are other options which you think I should explore please let me know. Will be great if you'll shed some light.

24 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Emac said:

Hi Experts

Need your opinion to choose a family vehicle. I travel around 60 KM daily to work and back mostly on the hi-way and make long distance trips ones a month with family. Preferably a car that's manufactured after 2011. Should be able to stretch the budget a bit more if it's worth it. I'm trying to keep away from the Hybrids at time.

• KIA Sportage
  • Ford Ecosport
  • Korando
  • Honda FD4
  • Hyundai Elantra 

What I'm looking for

• Fuel above 10 Km/L

However, I'm not fixed with any particular model If there are other options which you think I should explore please let me know. Will be great if you'll shed some light.

In other words you're looking for a bit of a non-boring car - you're on the right track going for the non-regular ones cos chances of finding unmolested mainstream cars are difficult.  I know ziff about the ecosport so I wont say anything about it. 

Fuel wise these cars will manage your fuel figures in outstation highways but in cities expect them to be thirstier.  

Resale wise i'd say the Kia and the Honda will be RELATIVELY easier to sell [Kia due to the SUV factor and the Honda for being a Honda] but priced right you can sell almost anything - same applies to spares: forum members who used fords have said it is not difficult to source spares specially online. 

The Korando and Ssangyongs in general are depreciating in the market quite rapidly (at least in the last few months) - the fact their agent is so crappy could be a reason. 

I'm a little biased so i'd go for the FD4  and it does tick most of your boxes.  I also suggest the Lancer EX and Mazda 3/Axela - two really nice cars. Always keep your options open if you come across a really well kept specimen and it appeals to you  go for it. 

• Like 2

Same boat as you. I sprung for a diesel 4x4 Sportage and I get a little over 7kmpl in the city, which is fine. Your budget tells me you’re probably thinking of a petrol model, I think the resale prospects of the petrol are less healthy than the diesel I’m afraid.

But truly a piece of cake to run and maintain. So far anyway.

I also run a 141 corolla. It’s very basic, even compared to the sportage, but I use this much more than the Kia - the 141 really is a Hardy, trouble-free mile muncher and it’s within your budget. I have the facelift model and it returns an even 9kmpl. Back seats don’t have all that much leg room, the Kia is better in that way, but only slightly. Maybe it’s worth a thought?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Emac said:

Gentlemen superb inputs, i'm thinking of cutting off the Korando and replacing with Lancer EX and Ford focus 2015. Any Hundai Elantra users out there? Please share your thoughts.

I don't know about 2015 Ford Focus how ever 2012 Ford Focus had transmission problems.

I really love the Lancer EX. Though I don't own one my friend who own hasn't complain a single problem. Plus you can't beat that look.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GK_007 said:

Nissan Bluebird Sylphy G11 ? Ample space, comfortable ride, will give decent typical 1.5 ICE economy. Bit boring to drive though. There is a 1.8 version as well.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I thought it was only available as 1.5L and 2.0L

Edited by Magnum
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Emac said:

Gentlemen superb inputs, i'm thinking of cutting off the Korando and replacing with Lancer EX and Ford focus 2015. Any Hundai Elantra users out there? Please share your thoughts.

Ford focus comes with two transmissions, 6 speed automatic (conventional auto tranny) and a dual clutch transmission with dry clutches. If you select Ford Focus, check whether it has r 6 speed automatic transmission (conventional auto tranny). This conventional auto tranny is really good and no issues. However, the Poweshift dual clutch transmission may give some troubles in our hot condition since it has dry clutch transmission. If the ford focus 2015, has 1l ecoboost engine, it should have normal torque converter 6 speed automatic transmission but double check it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Emac said:

You definitely, should consider the Lancer Ex, I used one for 5 years and sold mine in Feb 2018. It is absolutely a wonderful vehicle. Trinity bought a 2012 car recently. Can find more info under his thread. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Emac said:

Hi Experts

• KIA Sportage
  • Ford Ecosport
  • Korando
  • Honda FD4
  • Hyundai Elantra 

What I'm looking for

• Fuel above 10 Km/L

NONE of these cars will give you 10kmpl in the city. In fact, not even the Allions and Premios give that. Don't believe those exaggerated fuel figures.

Comfort - FD4>Elantra>the rest (SUVs of those size aren't very comfortable)

Reliability - FD4>Ecosport>Sportage/Elantra>Korando 

After sales value depends on government taxation policy after 3 years. You cant predict that.

Other options: Corolla 141 (not Axio), Lancer, Ford Focus 2011 model, Suzuki Baleno (brand new), Bluebird, Camry

I have owned a 2011 Ford Focus since brand new. It has no issues whatsoever. I have also owned a Kia Cerato in the past (2011 B/N). It is mechanically same as the Elantra. Both have 1600cc engines but the Cerato (Elantra) is about 200kg lighter than the Focus so its much faster.

Edited by Crosswind

On 11/15/2018 at 7:33 PM, Emac said:

Hi Experts

• KIA Sportage
  • Ford Ecosport
  • Korando
  • Honda FD4
  • Hyundai Elantra 

What I'm looking for

• Fuel above 10 Km/L

If you are considering the eco sport I think your looking at a registered model which came in around 2014-2015 or so 

The Good, it's comfortable, very stable in the highway, a lot less wobbly than something japanese like a CRV. Much less body roll, excellent ground clearance for its size, suspension is a bit on the firm side but in a good way, feels heavy specially when closing a door, if you can find a titanium model things like cruise, climate Control, keyless start are included. Really nice factory fitted sound system. Fuel economy is around 7-8. Overall compared to other vehicles in its price range this is really good value. The agents are really good too! 

The bad, it has one of the most frustrating 5 speed automatic gearboxes that I have come across. Not sure if it's a DCT or AMT but either way shifts are painfully slow when you want it to change, for example when you overtake, it makes all kinds of grinding noises when it shifts. But if your traveling in the city or just cruising on the highway it's quite alright. Secondly it's made in India. There are some minor quality issues which you won't find in something like a Focus. 

If you can live with a annoying gearbox it's a very nice car. Resale value might be alright since it's a SUV regardless of brand. 

Lancer EX is one of the best bets you have in your budget. When I was looking to buy a one a 2014 EX went for 4 million. 

I’ve just started to use this car and I must say, it’s wonderful. Car is very spacious, has good ground clearance and has good power too. Mine having a 1500cc motor and it’s a pleasure to drive. I’m saying this after switching from a manual Lancer. 

Since you are in the market for a new car, just go and take a one of those cars that are for sale for a test drive. Then you can understand for yourself.

As for petrol consumption, it does about 10 in Colombo and about 12 in areas like kalutara panadura. 

Heard that 1600cc one does about 6-7 in Colombo. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trinity said:

As for petrol consumption, it does about 10 in Colombo and about 12 in areas like kalutara panadura. 

My 1600CC does 9-10 in Colombo, but having to pump 95 octane due to its high compression ratio (11:1) is a disadvantage. 1500CC engine (10:1) doesn't require 95 octane. (EDIT : IT DOES. See the reply below)

GagnPzE.gif

Edited by Hyaenidae

9 hours ago, TheFlyingFox said:

If you are considering the eco sport I think your looking at a registered model which came in around 2014-2015 or so 

The Good, it's comfortable, very stable in the highway, a lot less wobbly than something japanese like a CRV. Much less body roll, excellent ground clearance for its size, suspension is a bit on the firm side but in a good way, feels heavy specially when closing a door, if you can find a titanium model things like cruise, climate Control, keyless start are included. Really nice factory fitted sound system. Fuel economy is around 7-8. Overall compared to other vehicles in its price range this is really good value. The agents are really good too! 

The bad, it has one of the most frustrating 5 speed automatic gearboxes that I have come across. Not sure if it's a DCT or AMT but either way shifts are painfully slow when you want it to change, for example when you overtake, it makes all kinds of grinding noises when it shifts. But if your traveling in the city or just cruising on the highway it's quite alright. Secondly it's made in India. There are some minor quality issues which you won't find in something like a Focus. 

If you can live with a annoying gearbox it's a very nice car. Resale value might be alright since it's a SUV regardless of brand. 

Thanks for info. The not so smooth transmission will be an issue. I also came across Ford Fiesta Eco boost 2016. Any thoughts on this specialy the gear box compatibility on our local roads.

If you can find the VIN number of the  Ford Fiesta, go to Ford ETIS site and create an account. Then enter the VIN and you can find lot of technical details including the type of the transmission. If the transmission is 6F15, it is the conventional auto transmission. If the name starts with DP something, it is the DCT.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Emac said:

Thanks for info. The not so smooth transmission will be an issue. I also came across Ford Fiesta Eco boost 2016. Any thoughts on this specialy the gear box compatibility on our local roads.

It's also a nice car, fun to drive and has a decent ride, only thing it's a little bit on the small side compared to other cars in your list. As other members stated make sure you get one with a torque converter autobox. Go for a test drive, if the gear changers happen within milliseconds its a DCT and if it takes a little bit longer it can be one with a torque converter. Most accurate will be to check the VIN and explore.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 6:44 AM, trinity said:

Lancer EX is one of the best bets you have in your budget. When I was looking to buy a one a 2014 EX went for 4 million. 

I’ve just started to use this car and I must say, it’s wonderful. Car is very spacious, has good ground clearance and has good power too. Mine having a 1500cc motor and it’s a pleasure to drive. I’m saying this after switching from a manual Lancer. 

Since you are in the market for a new car, just go and take a one of those cars that are for sale for a test drive. Then you can understand for yourself.

Couldn't agree more I have personally used the Lancer EX excellent on fuel, pulling power, handling and very comfortable. You will not have an issue on resale as well !

• Like 1