• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Verifying the Mileage of a used car

alpha17

So guys, finally I have to find a car from advertisements.I know most of the Allions and Premios from 2007-2010 are mileage tampered ones.Since I’m paying more than 4mil I’m trying to find a vehicle which has done at least less than 100k kmsWhen I checked ads from sale sites,most cars looked fine with mileage under 100k kms.But some cars had many heavily used signs having lower mileages which can easily be guessed that the mileage is tampered.When buying from registered owners,I can check eco tests and service records.

So how can I make sure the mileage is true if the car is in good condition and the seller has no records to prove(eg-car sale,buying and selling guys)?What are the ways I can find the true mileage?

2 hours ago, alpha17 said:

So guys, finally I have to find a car from advertisements.I know most of the Allions and Premios from 2007-2010 are mileage tampered ones.Since I’m paying more than 4mil I’m trying to find a vehicle which has done at least less than 100k kmsWhen I checked ads from sale sites,most cars looked fine with mileage under 100k kms.But some cars had many heavily used signs having lower mileages which can easily be guessed that the mileage is tampered.When buying from registered owners,I can check eco tests and service records.

So how can I make sure the mileage is true if the car is in good condition and the seller has no records to prove(eg-car sale,buying and selling guys)?What are the ways I can find the true mileage?

There is absolutely no way to 100% ensure that odometer is not tampered. The taxi drivers these days rotate the odometer of their Wagon Rs every month and then create maintenance records using false mileage. So forget trying to verify mileage.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

There is absolutely no way to 100% ensure that odometer is not tampered. The taxi drivers these days rotate the odometer of their Wagon Rs every month and then create maintenance records using false mileage. So forget trying to verify mileage.

oh sh*t!!! Can the emission test records be inspected from EcoS*i or D*iveG**en? I mean giving the registration number of the vehicle. I can contact a manager of one branch where I can get some information through my relation.

Edited by alpha17

2 hours ago, alpha17 said:

oh sh*t!!! Can the emission test records be inspected from EcoS*i or D*iveG**en? I mean giving the registration number of the vehicle. I can contact a manager of one branch where I can get some information through my relation.

Replying because I also wanna know if this is possible....

14 hours ago, Crosswind said:

That means even agent service records cannot be trusted? Damn...

6 hours ago, BlueRaiden said:

That means even agent service records cannot be trusted? Damn...

Yes

And worrying about the mileage is like marrying a hooker and trying to figure out how many men she slept with. 

If you decide to marry a hooker, accept the fact that she's well used and move on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

Yes

And worrying about the mileage is like marrying a hooker and trying to figure out how many men she slept with. 

If you decide to marry a hooker, accept the fact that she's well used and move on. 

Adding few points to what crossi said... think of it in this way.. Have you watched the movie "pretty woman"? if not, do it asap and then you will not feel bad about the mileage anymore :D you should take the main actress (who is a whore- played by julia roberts) as an example and then you wouldn't mind about how many owners it had and the mileage anymore :D This was taught to me by @matroskaand ever since then i dont care about mileage and number of owners anymore :D so will you :D 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 9:34 AM, alpha17 said:

Well - to be honest you can't. As Crosswind and Presea said don't worry too much if the car is in decent condition. My dad bought a ridiculously tampered car in 2004. it was a 1996 Sunny and after 8 years it had around 45,000 kms... we knew it was fake but still bought it cos it was in decent condition - gave very little trouble over 11 years of ownership. 

Of course there are subtle things that give it away -  interior wear and tear (specially observe the break pedal - I once came across a car quoting ridiculously low mileage but a horridly worn break pedal and some rattly interior bits that gave it away) . another example was a car that had done ONLY 23,000 km but it was not having the original tires the owner came up with a lame story that the original tires were 'ugly' so he got wider tires :D or some thing like that . usually - non mainstream cars odo's don't get tampered a lot there are couple of reasons : buy and sell folk are not interested in them. The average mechanic knows to tamper an Axio odo but maybe he's a bit hesitant to tamper the Odo on say a ford. 

To refer  Crosswind's analogy : if she aint got STD just don't worry about the number of men she slept with :D 

Good luck with your hunt! 

• Thanks 1