• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Where to buy a bicycle (not motorcycle) in Colombo?

HelaS

Hi guys. Not sure this is the correct section but can someone advice me on where to go bicycle shopping and what brands are good?

I just want a decent bike for recreation and exercise and price should be below 20,000 Rupees. I don't want to go out of Colombo to buy it. Any suggestions? Thank you.

13 minutes ago, HelaS said:

Hi guys. Not sure this is the correct section but can someone advice me on where to go bicycle shopping and what brands are good?

I just want a decent bike for recreation and exercise and price should be below 20,000 Rupees. I don't want to go out of Colombo to buy it. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Cycle Bazzar in Borella was my go to place since I was a Kid. Me and my cycle buddy has very good experience with Kenstar and Lumala and both still in perfect condition for decades. We just service it from a local cycle repair shop and thats all. Only thing replaced was tubes and couple of times with brake shoes, cables (due to lot of abuse on brakes by myself) and once with gear change cable.

I understand that there are new brands available now but sadly the old bikes are still working perfect and never was a requirement to buy new. :)

5 hours ago, ajm said:

recently it's getting more difficult to find a bicycle repair place than a service station isn't it?

depends on where you live ,there are still  "cycle works" in the suburbs- close to my home there's a really good place the guy is expensive but his work is good 

You can goto either DSI Bikes, Lumala or Tomahawk in Bambalapitiya which are actually located next to another around the same place. It's easy to compare the models and purchase the one which suites you. Lumala has the widest selection though.

Edited by LashNeo

13 hours ago, HelaS said:

Hunters. they used to sell branded. Also raleigh is there.  Also you can get a decent Japanese one

40 minutes ago, LashNeo said:

You can goto either DSI Bikes, Lumala or Tomahawk in Bambalapitiya which are actually located next to another around the same place. It's easy to compare the models and purchase the one which suites you. Lumala has the widest selection though.

Thanks. Are Lumala and DSI any good? 

12 minutes ago, HelaS said:

Thanks. Are Lumala and DSI any good? 

I don't think there's much of an issue with those models. they are assembled in sri lanka and parts are also readily available. They do exports to Europe countries as well and therefore i don't think there will be any issues with quality. 

6 minutes ago, ajm said:

sorry for off Topic,how are "eBikes" picking up in SL? They are getting quite popular in other countries now.

I was also in the hunt for one of these but it's difficult to find them here.
Actually there's one manufacturer who assembles these E'Bikes in Sri lanka but unfortunately they only do exports and do not sell them in local market

12 hours ago, peugeot407 said:

Try buying a used Japanese one. Far better than the cheap Chinese crap sold in the market. 

Don't encourage turning Sri Lanka in to a junkyard. Sri Lanka actually makes good bikes. Even chinese bikes (as long as you get a good brand) are not bad. I had a Phoenix (Chinese) back in the 80s. It was fine. Also had a Kenstar (Taiwanese).

7 hours ago, LashNeo said:

Lumala is pretty good. I'm not sure about DSI. You can also buy Raleigh (I think they are made in SL for export to UK). Raleigh showroom is in Punchiborella - old passport office road.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Just order one online. It will save you a lot of time. I had the same issue as you when I was looking for a bike for my 5yo son. I wanted to find a good bike, spent a lot of time for nothing. I was confused since I wanted something good for him. In the end, after numerous searches in the shops, I decided to go online. I found this site cutelittledarling.com, read some reviews, and ordered the bike model that I needed. The main lesson of this story is that online shopping is the best. Just make sure that the refund policy is working well.

Edited by Issada

• 2 years later...

Hi. Within your budget, you have a few options. One popular choice is visiting local bike shops like Rathnasiri Cycle Stores or Dilshan Cycle Stores. You can also try checking out online marketplaces like daraz for more options and competitive prices. As a fellow biker, I suggest you get insurance at sundaysinsurance.co.uk to ensure safety for you and your bike. I hope my advice helps.

Edited by Joanglover