• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine knocking in civic SR

Civic las

Hi All, did anyone experience engine knocking in civic SR? this happens with my car frequently specially when I pick up or accelerate to overtake vehicles. This happens on and off however, it despairs when turbo start working. Stafford couldn’t rectify the issue but told me bunch of civic turned in with the same symptom. I appreciate your valuable comments/suggestions on this matter please.

1 hour ago, matroska said:

What about fuel? Substandard fuel??

Exactly what I was thinking. I think oct95 is a must for them and I would suggest only to pump them from a known good gas station.

I hope simple things like air filter is checked?

Engine oil dip stick is checked? And oil is at the full level and not more than the full level. Does not smell petrol on dip stick. (What i'm trying to tell is that to check for oil and fuel contamination problem.)

definitely sounds like bad fuel. Take it out for a long drive and do an Italian Tune up. Then top up again.

On another note how do you know what's a reputed fuel station? Even the well known ones in Colombo have been known to serve substandard fuel.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RWD said:

definitely sounds like bad fuel. Take it out for a long drive and do an Italian Tune up. Then top up again.

On another note how do you know what's a reputed fuel station? Even the well known ones in Colombo have been known to serve substandard fuel.

Word of mouth, i pump from only one place unless i have to and to date no one has ever mentioned about bad fuel, mixing or any other jugglery that usually happens in these places.

1 hour ago, RWD said:

how do you know what's a reputed fuel station

yeah this is tough - its based on word of mouth as well as personal experience...some stations have a lot of bad rep. Some are well known for example the one run by the navy in Welisara near the Navy camp is well known to be an honest place - hence the long queues there always. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, matroska said:

yeah this is tough - its based on word of mouth as well as personal experience...some stations have a lot of bad rep. Some are well known for example the one run by the navy in Welisara near the Navy camp is well known to be an honest place - hence the long queues there always. 

hmmm...guess you can't go wrong at Laugfs then

6 hours ago, RWD said:

Yes I do, 95 was the only used. oil level is fine as well. But i didn't check the air filter since the car is new 4000km on clock. I also change the petrol station as well ?

26 minutes ago, Civic las said:

Yes I do, 95 was the only used. oil level is fine as well. But i didn't check the air filter since the car is new 4000km on clock. I also change the petrol station as well ?

is this 95 the so-called"Euro-3"?

These highly efficient 1L turbocharged Direct injection comes at a price. very sensitive to fuel quality.

33 minutes ago, ajm said:

is this 95 the so-called"Euro-3"?

These highly efficient 1L turbocharged Direct injection comes at a price. very sensitive to fuel quality.

Euro 3 is regular petrol, treated with additives to meet the Euro 3 emission standard which is pretty old. 95 is better than Euro 3. 

Also, the issue is not really with the sensitivity of the engines but with the substandard fuel quality in Sri Lanka. Modern cars have knock sensors that detect engine knock and retard timing to deal with low octane fuels (in case of emergencies), but there are tolerances. 

@Civic las, your best bet is to do a diagnostic scan to find out if the engine is really knocking on load. If it stops knocking after the turbo kicks in, it is likely to be retarded ignition timing which can be due to bad fuel among other things. 

2 hours ago, Davy said:

Euro 3 is regular petrol, treated with additives to meet the Euro 3 emission standard which is pretty old. 95 is better than Euro 3. 

Also, the issue is not really with the sensitivity of the engines but with the substandard fuel quality in Sri Lanka. Modern cars have knock sensors that detect engine knock and retard timing to deal with low octane fuels (in case of emergencies), but there are tolerances. 

@Civic las, your best bet is to do a diagnostic scan to find out if the engine is really knocking on load. If it stops knocking after the turbo kicks in, it is likely to be retarded ignition timing which can be due to bad fuel among other things. 

@Davy, yes Stafford did the scanning and no codes found. I think I should change the fuel filter and see. This is annoying me. I did a test run today and got to know that if I accelerate the car slowly(very low RPM's) or in high RPM's (2200-2500) very rarely it appears. However, it mostly appear with moderate pickups(1700-2000). also I notice that the throttle response is very slow when this problem appears.

10 hours ago, iRage said:

Here is a complete ignoramus question...if the octane level is in doubt can't you put one of those octane boosters and see what happens ?

You can. Wouldn't hurt to try. :) 

10 hours ago, Civic las said:

@Davy, yes Stafford did the scanning and no codes found. I think I should change the fuel filter and see. This is annoying me. I did a test run today and got to know that if I accelerate the car slowly(very low RPM's) or in high RPM's (2200-2500) very rarely it appears. However, it mostly appear with moderate pickups(1700-2000). also I notice that the throttle response is very slow when this problem appears.  

Did they check your electronic throttle as well?  From your description, it seems to me like there might be a "dead spot" in the throttle position sensor (which I believe is built  into the electronic throttle). I like to think that the agent knows how to check it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Civic las said:

Please let us know the outcome after changing the fuel filter 

While scanning the car they rave it a bit. Therefore, I guess it was checked. The car was inspected by Mr.Lal Allawattha  today. He concluded it as a power lag and asked me to use an injector cleaner and then an octain booster. Fingers crossed...….

Edited by Civic las

12 hours ago, Davy said:

You can. Wouldn't hurt to try. :) 

Did they check your electronic throttle as well?  From your description, it seems to me like there might be a "dead spot" in the throttle position sensor (which I believe is built  into the electronic throttle). I like to think that the agent knows how to check it.

@Dave, While scanning the car they rave it a bit. Therefore, I guess it was checked. The car was inspected by Mr.Lal Allawattha  today. He concluded it as a power lag and asked me to use an injector cleaner and then an octane booster. Fingers crossed...….

Edited by Civic las

7 hours ago, RWD said:

Please let us know the outcome after changing the fuel filter 

@RWD, Sure will let you know the outcome, The car was inspected by Mr.Lal Allawattha  today. He concluded it as a power lag and asked me to use an injector cleaner and then an octane booster. Based on the outcome, filter, pump etc will be checked. Fingers crossed...….

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Civic las said:

The car was inspected by Mr.Lal Allawattha  today. He concluded it as a power lag and asked me to use an injector cleaner and then an octane booster. 

No Diagnosis? Hope this Typical trial and error treatment does not create more issues in you engine. I doubt if he has adequeate knowledge about 1.0L Gdi Turbo engines.

1 hour ago, ajm said:

No Diagnosis? Hope this Typical trial and error treatment does not create more issues in you engine. I doubt if he has adequeate knowledge about 1.0L Gdi Turbo engines.

@ajm, With experience he concluded that this is related to fuel and the best thing is to go with injector cleaner and octane booster. He is clamming that our fuel is contaminated and most of 1L turbo heavy vehicles suffer with miner power lags. Before inspecting the fuel filter and pump he asked me to try this out. 

17 hours ago, Civic las said:

@RWD, Sure will let you know the outcome, The car was inspected by Mr.Lal Allawattha  today. He concluded it as a power lag and asked me to use an injector cleaner and then an octane booster. Based on the outcome, filter, pump etc will be checked. Fingers crossed...….

oh,boy. Hope a piece of gunk in the fuel tank doesn't come off by the "magic arishte" from Mr.Potato Estate and block your high pressure fuel pump /fine pitch injector nozzles.

• Haha 2

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:47 PM, Civic las said:

@ajm, With experience he concluded that this is related to fuel and the best thing is to go with injector cleaner and octane booster. He is clamming that our fuel is contaminated and most of 1L turbo heavy vehicles suffer with miner power lags. Before inspecting the fuel filter and pump he asked me to try this out. 

@Civic lasany update? Did this solve your issue?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...