• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Registration of a Car in Sri Lanka

DamithS

I personally imported a reconditioned kei car from japan recently. Please anyone can tell me the exact process of registering a car in Sri Lanka?

Need to know,

• How to submit application along with relevant documents?
  • How to take the vehicle for inspection?
  • Is it legal to drive vehicle for inspection since I have no garage plates?
  • What are the fees?
  • Can I get it done within one day?

Thanks!

Edited by DamithS

• 11 months later...

Sorry for bumping an old thread. I think the DMT site does not clarify some of the above questions. Curios to know how it happens now.

• How to take the vehicle for inspection? (Should the vehicle be taken for an inspection at the time of submitting the application?)
  • Is it legal to drive vehicle for inspection since I have no garage plates? (Having the Chassis/Engine number displayed will work?)
  • How long does it take to get the number plates?

Cheers!

3 hours ago, monty said:

Should the vehicle be taken for an inspection at the time of submitting the application

No. You need to submit two photographs of your vehicle.

3 hours ago, monty said:

Can I get it done within one day?

Yes.

3 hours ago, monty said:

How long does it take to get the number plates?

1-2 days.

Following documents need to be submitted in order to proceed with the registrations at the RMV.  

* MTA 2 - Application for Registration of Motor Vehicle.

* CUSDEC form exchange copy

* Assessment Notice

* Export Certificate and its English translation.

* Certificate of Inspection (JEVIC, JAAI, BV, etc)

* Original Permit ( If vehicle imported under a permit)

* NIC or Driving licence copy

* If the Address in the NIC and the Address to be registered is different, Address confirmation letter from "Grama Sewaka" certified by the AGA's office.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, monty said:

Sorry for bumping an old thread. I think the DMT site does not clarify some of the above questions. Curios to know how it happens now.

• How to take the vehicle for inspection? (Should the vehicle be taken for an inspection at the time of submitting the application?)
  • Is it legal to drive vehicle for inspection since I have no garage plates? (Having the Chassis/Engine number displayed will work?)
  • How long does it take to get the number plates?

Cheers!

1. Rarely, but yes, newer and controversial models are sometimes called for inspection 

Usually the importer handles this for you 

Not required unless called, sometimes they request a video, all handled by the importer 

2. Not legal, can be badly copped 

Can save a bit if you have a proper insurance 

Only permitted to drive the vehicle from the dealer to your house with a fresh receipt

3. Registration can

4.2 days, 3rd day for a courier 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, monty said:

Thank you both Prangi and tiv.

I've heard that the vehicle first needs to be taken to Werahera to get the weight measurements certified prior to submitting the documents to DMT Narahenpita. Is this the case?

From which country did you import it? Japan or some other country? 

Edited by Prangi

2 hours ago, monty said:

From Australia.

If LC and Customs Declaration says "Brand New" and the vehicle mileage is less than 200 km, now there is a possibility to register it as "New".  To get it done you need to obtain weight measurements certificate from Werahera. Otherwise they will register it as "Reconditioned". However if the vehicle is an uncommon model (Probably the first vehicle to the country), then you must obtain weight measurements certificate from werahara before proceed with the registration. 

• Like 1