Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

  • 0
Madhawa007

Toyota Vitz KSP130 unusual whistle sound when accelerating

Question

Hi All,

My Toyota Vitz KSP130 2015 (YOM) gives an unusual whistle sound when I accelerate. This does not happen always. This happens when I drive for sometime long (2 - 3 hours) continuously or when I drive in the hill country or when on S (Sports) mode. I suspect it's happening when I'm on a low gear or when I accelerate fast. When it starts to come, as I accelerate the whistle sound goes up and when I take off my foot from the pedals it stops.   

When I'm on S (Sports) mode a burning smell also comes. I don't know these two are related. This is really annoying and need your expert opinion to resolve this.

TIA.

 

Cheers

Madhawa007

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Uhh...i am pretty sure the S in the standard Vitz's CVT unit is "Slope"..not "Sport". It holds the "gear" little bit longer and allows the engine to rev higher...which in return affects the torque and the power delivery. It is in tended for driving on a "slope" so that you either utilize engine braking or use the upper end of the torque/power bands to pull up a hill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I also have a vitz ksp 130 model.when you accerlerate on slow drive its give some sudden jerks.this mostly happen at 20kmph to 40 kmph range.

I like to have madhava007 comments on this issue please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, iRage said:

Uhh...i am pretty sure the S in the standard Vitz's CVT unit is "Slope"..not "Sport". It holds the "gear" little bit longer and allows the engine to rev higher...which in return affects the torque and the power delivery. It is in tended for driving on a "slope" so that you either utilize engine braking or use the upper end of the torque/power bands to pull up a hill.

Bro,

As per my understanding the S mode is for sports and B is more like 'slope'. at least in below example in CVT of Corolla in 'S' mode it revs higher even when not needed like on a flat surface and in 'B' mode it try to give more engine breaking on a slope. However I did not feel like holding gear like a regular automatic transmission. I too felt the burning smell on 'S' mode if you drive like mad which you get on any other car.

As for holding the gear if you have an old school transmission like shown in pic 2 it can limit the gear. If you put it to 'S' and use '-' to select 3 it will shift only up to 3. If you select 1 it would not shift to 2, will keep on 1.

 

as for 'Madhawa007' problem I would say show it to a family/your regular mechanic to see if its normal burning smell you get driving fast on mountain drives or if there is anything wrong or low on oil or any other issue.

 

For that whistle noise may be ask someone to rev and check the pipe going from air filter box, couple be a leak.

 

 

Corolla.jpg

ToyTrans1.jpg

Edited by kmeeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

According to the manual

S = Slope (can be used to climb slopes with some RPM boost or a quick overtake)

B = Brake (can be used to descend steep slopes)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
30 minutes ago, hrm said:

According to the manual

S = Slope (can be used to climb slopes with some RPM boost or a quick overtake)

B = Brake (can be used to descend steep slopes)

Here's what manual said. Just glanced through the manual but could not find any driving instructions of using S or B. Will share if I find that in user manual.

 

CVT.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
41 minutes ago, kmeeg said:

Here's what manual said. Just glanced through the manual but could not find any driving instructions of using S or B. Will share if I find that in user manual.

 

CVT.JPG

Which manual is this? I'm talking about the JDM manual with Toyota super CVT i transmission. 

Edited by hrm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 minutes ago, hrm said:

Which manual is this? I'm talking about the JDM manual with Toyota super CVT i transmission. 

No bro, this is not JDM. This is from 2018 Toyota Corolla CVT.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
45 minutes ago, kmeeg said:

No bro, this is not JDM. This is from 2018 Toyota Corolla CVT.

 

Got it. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, kmeeg said:

Here's what manual said. Just glanced through the manual but could not find any driving instructions of using S or B. Will share if I find that in user manual.

As the manual says, you're meant to use it when you need engine braking. So I guess that's self-explanatory. 

Engine braking is helpful when you are driving downhill or when you're descending on a slope. The compression forces in the engine act as braking when you let go of the throttle, so the braking force the driver needs to apply is significantly less - thus not heating up the brakes and causing them to bind. 

S is not meant to be used to accelerate because it's not "Sport" mode. Certainly not on a Vitz. Using it this way will cause the CVT to wear out much faster. The "burning smell in mode" is probably the transmission fluid suddenly overheating.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Davy said:

As the manual says, you're meant to use it when you need engine braking. So I guess that's self-explanatory. 

Engine braking is helpful when you are driving downhill or when you're descending on a slope. The compression forces in the engine act as braking when you let go of the throttle, so the braking force the driver needs to apply is significantly less - thus not heating up the brakes and causing them to bind. 

S is not meant to be used to accelerate because it's not "Sport" mode. Certainly not on a Vitz. Using it this way will cause the CVT to wear out much faster. The "burning smell in mode" is probably the transmission fluid suddenly overheating.  

Sure we are going out of the topic now. But on this CVT topic, what manual says vs this video from toyota seems confusing.(found another video from  a toyota dealership also say that S is sport.)

However higher trips of Corolla seems to have a 'Sport' button and instead of 'S' on the shifter it has 'M' + & -.  (haven't driven that version though).

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 hours ago, kmeeg said:

As per my understanding the S mode is for sports and B is more like 'slope'. at least in below example in CVT of Corolla in 'S' mode it revs higher even when not needed like on a flat surface and in 'B' mode it try to give more engine breaking on a slope. However I did not feel like holding gear like a regular automatic transmission. I too felt the burning smell on 'S' mode if you drive like mad which you get on any other car.

 

No....they are both slope modes for engine braking/holding gears a bit longer...the only thing with S mode is that he parameters are slightly different so you can use it moderately when you need that bit of extra oomph on a slight uphill. Again..NOT for sports driving though !!!

Stick with the manual that comes with the region of the vehicle you are from (different regions can have different specifications). Also, sometimes those videos are done by franchise dealerships (like in the US) and we really have no idea of who or what those dealerships are.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hi All,

Thank you all for the valuable inputs. Let me go through the user manual and get back to you all.

 

However any idea about the whistling sound?

 

TIA

Madhawa007

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hi All,

Checked the user manual. S is slope. And B is for downhill. I made the mistake it seems. Thank you all for your insight.

 

If any one has an idea about the whistle sound do let me know.

 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hi, just upload a vid of what you're experiencing,..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Madhawa007 said:

The sound is similar to this. Actually it's like a siren noice. Not a whistling sound.

Check the silencer and silencer mufflers for leaks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register for a new account in our community. It's easy and FREE!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×