• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Minimum speed for expressway?

Saturn

1 hour ago, Saturn said:

Is 60km/h too slow for the expressway? I was ? wondering if the cops would consider me too slow at that speed?

if you're going to crawl at 60 why don't you take the Galle Road?

Ok - maybe that was rude but there's nothing more annoying than those slow moving vehicles struggling on the expressway. Worse still is many of them stick in the right lane and don't give way - so atleast hope you stick to the correct lane.

• Like 1

I guess the more important question is "What is the safe minimum speed?" Driving significantly under the speed limit can be as dangerous as driving over the speed limit.

On local expressways, where the speed limit is 100 km/h, driving below 80km/h would be both obstructing other vehicles as well as dangerous. The general rule I have seen in other countries is 20km/h less than the posted speed. 

The other thing is merging onto the expressway and taking the off ramp. I have seen many close calls (pretty normal in Sri Lanka, but could be catastrophic at high speeds) where a vehicle entering the expressway merges with traffic on the expressway at a very low speed. If the posted speed is 100 km/h, you need to make sure you are entering at a safe speed so that vehicles on the expressway don't have to suddenly brake. Similarly, when leaving the expressway, you should not slow down until you are on the off ramp. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Davy said:

I guess the more important question is "What is the safe minimum speed?" Driving significantly under the speed limit can be as dangerous as driving over the speed limit.

On local expressways, where the speed limit is 100 km/h, driving below 80km/h would be both obstructing other vehicles as well as dangerous. The general rule I have seen in other countries is 20km/h less than the posted speed. 

The other thing is merging onto the expressway and taking the off ramp. I have seen many close calls (pretty normal in Sri Lanka, but could be catastrophic at high speeds) where a vehicle entering the expressway merges with traffic on the expressway at a very low speed. If the posted speed is 100 km/h, you need to make sure you are entering at a safe speed so that vehicles on the expressway don't have to suddenly brake. Similarly, when leaving the expressway, you should not slow down until you are on the off ramp. 

Thanks. I'm ok with freeway driving as I drove in US. I guess I'll stick to the slow lane and go for 80km/h

1 hour ago, matroska said:

several months ago bought a Datsun B110 from the deep south - it was late and there was no other option than to use the expressway chugged along at 50 km/h consistently. As far as I know it's not an issue. 

Don't they check the condition of the vehicle (whether it's fit to be driven on a highway) before entering?

5 minutes ago, sathyajithj99 said:

Don't they check the condition of the vehicle (whether it's fit to be driven on a highway) before entering?

No they don't and anyway the particular car was in decent  condition - specially externally. the issues were with the carb and gearbox.

Edited by matroska

On 10/30/2018 at 12:38 PM, matroska said:

several months ago bought a Datsun B110 from the deep south - it was late and there was no other option than to use the expressway chugged along at 50 km/h consistently. As far as I know it's not an issue. 

You shouldn't be having an issue going happily at 50. Its us ppl who go past you will be having issues

1 hour ago, Quiet said:

You shouldn't be having an issue going happily at 50. Its us ppl who go past you will be having issues

Ok let me re-iterate :

the issue OP had asked was "wondering if the cops would consider me too slow"   and from my experience It was not.  comprende?

As I said there was no other option or I wouldn't be chugging along. And last time i used the southern expressway it had multiple lanes so no one really had to tail gate me and were free to overtake on the right hand side