• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota aqua 2013 registered one. ( price will be 3.6M )

Zoro danish

There is no reason for not going for hybrids older than 5 years provided you get a capacity test done (I cannot say it is 100% reliable though) and a provision included in the price depreciation for a replacement battery.

Don't just believe in the hybrid battery capacity report. Some garages fix a gadget that shows good battery capacity despite battery being dead. Also some places make cut and bud with other model batteries(Insight,FIT). So a thorough visual check of the battery is also needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I would also agree on not buying hybrid too much old. Once you spent 3.6million after year might have to spend money on battery. Also hybrids are complicated machines ( which means too much to break ). If it is relative new one then ok. You will have several years without issues. I would suggest consider other options like new Vitz. 

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just go for it.put it to toyota lanka and get a full report.dont go to unreliable places.most of the well maintained aquas from 2012 ,now has a battery capacity of nearly 80%.

Battery could fail at no time but howmany incidents have you heard or came across so far?.its vey rear.

Most of the people in SL expects brand new conditions in second hand cars?

Edited by mash1981

On 10/25/2018 at 5:36 AM, Rumesh88 said:

There is no reason for not going for hybrids older than 5 years provided you get a capacity test done (I cannot say it is 100% reliable though) and a provision included in the price depreciation for a replacement battery.

@Rumesh88,

Correct me if I’m wrong. After watching this video made me think of changing hybrid battery is little more than changing regular 12v battery preferably by a shop/ mechanic. Might be a norm in near future. Is there any other thing that you think to worry about? Electric motor going bad? Worst it could be running full time on gasoline motor?

https://youtu.be/Q3RCdrh666w

12 hours ago, kmeeg said:

@Rumesh88,

Correct me if I’m wrong. After watching this video made me think of changing hybrid battery is little more than changing regular 12v battery preferably by a shop/ mechanic. Might be a norm in near future. Is there any other thing that you think to worry about? Electric motor going bad? Worst it could be running full time on gasoline motor?

https://youtu.be/Q3RCdrh666w

Your are right. It could be the norm.  As for the other problems that may pop up with hybrids, well it is still too early to comment.

However, hybrids being a transitional solution focus now is on more EVs and that too on shared driverless EVs that you can order online to your doorstep whenever your want . You no longer need to worry about battery SOC or owning a private car :D

Consider the following points before you buying a second hand hybrid vehicle

1.  Hybrids are having a below second hand market value that of the non-hybrid.  Better go for a car from a reliable person or party , has been maintained properly. As recommended by the others, always get it checked from local agents before giving your money away.

2. Similar to other , hybrid batteries too depreciate over time regardless of the mileage. Though it may show you the remaining capacity, don't expect it to be give you a similar performance that of the previous user.  Capacity may go down drastically.  Only option is to replace the entire battery or entire set of cells. Again the cost of replacement is substantial and it may not be realized over the saving you are going to make using a hybrid (or not using non hybrid car). 

3. Not only the hybrid battery, other mechanical and electrical parts too get depreciate over the time.  Specially the inverters and mortors. I am not sure whether there is any way to check the condition of those things buy an ordinary workshop or mechanic.  They are costly to replace.

4. Be vigilant with the recent developments and trends in the automobile industry.  All the developed countries (not Sri Lanka) are moving towards vehicles with least environmental impact.  As a result of that lot of developments have emerged with less number of cylinders ( three cylinders comapred to four cylinders), extracting maximum power from a unit volume of a fuel ( turbo charging, intelligent valve timing, etc.) and minimizing the transmission losses (DCT, CVT, etc.) while keeping the expected performance of the vehicle.   According to my understanding most manufacturers have given less priority in developing their hybrid system over the above mentioned during last few years.  As Rumesh said, EVs have proven to be more reliable and efficient over the gasoline engines in all aspects.  

5. One of the good example is non-hybrid axio of 1.3 L, which is introduced very recently.  If the re was a complete success on hybrid axio of 1.5L,why toyota wants to step back into a non-hybrid version ? There could be couple of reasons for this. 1. Cost of maintenance in long run 2. Inability of incorporating smaller capacity engines with hybrid systems. you don't get full hybrid vehicles with engines less than 1.3 L 3. Level of compromisation in performance over the fuel savings in hybrid systems.