• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

TOYOTA PREMIO VS. AUDI A3

Stryker

Question

Hello,

trying to choose between a  2018 Toyota Premio G Superior and a 2018 Audi A3 TFSI Sedan, and needs some clarifications and comparisons between both.  (both are almost the same price)

1. Speed?  because the Audi comes with a tiny 3 cyl - 1.0 liter engine , How is the pick up? Not expecting sports car performance, but should be able to overtake in our roads unlike a Wagon R.

2. How is maintenance? Cost of service, and spare parts availability? Toyota should win this one easily but your thoughts and opinions. Also recommend a good place to service both.

3. Comfort and overall features?

4. Fuel consumption and resale value? Don't care about either of these, but would like to know what the general consensus is, just for the sake of comparing.

Also there is a Hatchback version of the A3 Sedan called a A3 Sportback. The specs are almost identical, but it is almost 1mil cheaper than the sedan. any thoughts?

19 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

No. 

This is what you said:

"I think the Euros have such long intervals mainly due to the premium oil which they use. Intervals are what the book says without taking into consideration things like very high rate of stop and go traffic , harsh climate, dust etc etc"

You implied that 

1.Euros have long service intervals because they need premium oil - untrue. I have been using Castrol 10w 30 for the past 7 years. Initially the agent used Toyota 10w 30 oil. Yes - contrary to what you might believe, Euros are not allergic to Toyota oil

2. Service schedule for Euros do not take our conditions to account - untrue. You can see the above

What you have stated is NOT in line with the handbook. Its the exact opposite. 

Further, 

This is my 8th year with the Focus. 

What I have done so far, are:

1.Usual service twice a year

2. One gear oil change

3. Two sets of brake pads (I change them every 30k km, even if they are worn or not) 

4. Two sets of tyres - one due to bad experience with Nexen 

5. One bonnet lock replacement (lock =6000 on ebay, labour = 2000)

6. One gear link bush replacement (total 2000 at agent) 

7. Two sets wiper blades (each set 800 from aliexpress) 

8.Two sets of spark plugs (I change them every 30k irrespective of the condition) each set 2000 on ebay, delivered

So if anyone tells me Euros are unreliable/cost more to maintain etc., all I can say is the @&£# you. 

Alright my bad, didn’t know you can run for such Long periods with normal oil, just curious how does the oil look after 10k? I also didn’t have any repairs for my Firsta other than the shocks (which was covered by warranty). A ford can be much simpler than the other euros. This also depends on the model , for example people at the agents don’t have good things to say about the Kuga. Do you remember the time when the mondeo which came here ? Quite often hearing cases of it catching fire. You bought the ford for something like 4.5 mil -5.5 mil ? How much is it asking now ? Another person gets a similar year cheaper axio and how much is it asking now ? You have had trouble free ownership , enjoyed driving it and I wish you will have the same for years to come ! Euros have their merits and weaknesses as well , weakness being quite often losing a substantial amount of money , either in maintaining or selling. This might not be your requirement but it is of the vast majority. They are indeed better cars , that is for the people who will make use of their abilities. 

4 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

The Toyota is being bashed for a reason. Not just for kicks.

If you talk to a person who has owned a multitude of cars, you will know why. If you talk to a person who had only owned Toyotas (and may be Nissans) all his life, then its like the blind leading the blind.

In my case, I change my second car often. So I have owned: Chevrolet Cruze (two of them), Mini, Lancer CS1, Toyota 110, Kia Cerato, Peugeot 206 (Auto), Perodua Kelisa, Nissan FB14, B15, Ford Mondeo, Hyundai Santafe 1st Gen (convert), Suzuki Jimny, A32 Cefiro, A33 Cefiro, Honda City (the one that looks like the Fit Aria)

The ones that never gave me any kind of problems were: Kelisa (B/N import), A32 (B/N import), the 206 (Singapore import)

The biggest nightmare I had, was with the Toyota 110 (JDM) and the FB14 (JDM), closely followed by the B15 (JDM) and the City (Singapore import).

The Cerato gave me gearbox problems thanks to monkeys at a*to m*raj pouring CVT oil in to an ordinary auto gear box. Other than that, the Korean was also better than the Toyota I had.

I know that this doesn't mean Toyota build quality is mediocre. What it simply means is Toyota quality is not any different from other car manufacturers - whether its Ford or Peugeot or Kia or Nissan or Honda (although MBA textbooks will say otherwise). But most Toyotas in Sri Lanka are owned by stupid morons, so you give a car with average build quality to a moron, the end result is a nightmare to the next owner.

Toyotas are not god's gift to Sri Lankans. They are just god's gift to monkeys who believe that a valampuri can bring them eternal wealth or applying some gunk on their face every morning can make them look like Europeans or donating half-a-kilo of gold to a man with a weird hairdo can bring their loved one back or a 1000-year old puskola book has their name, their wife's name, parents name and the driving license number.

Crosswind that is your experience. I too like you change cars quite often. Namely, Mini , Peugeot 206(Auto), Peugeot 307 , Peugeot 406, Peugeot 206( Manual) , Suzuki Liana, Audi A4 1.9Tdi, Volvo S60 2.0T, Ford Fiesta, Honda GP5, Honda GP4, Suzuki Wagon R ,Mercedes 190E, Daihatsu Copen. 

As as you see majority of my experience comes from Euros. Peugeot’s by far has been the least realible. The Volvo and Audi follows , the ford since it’s new didn’t give me any trouble. The Japanese on the other hand none of the cars gave na any sort of trouble. I too adore euros too for their engineering and abilities but for someone who doesn’t have experience or someone who has been using Japanese cars I will never recommend a euro. They are just too costly to maintain and you lose quite a lot when selling , if you are in a cash urgency then your might as well put a bank loan cause it is faster than waiting for your euro to sell. 

5 minutes ago, TheFlyingFox said:

Alright my bad, didn’t know you can run for such Long periods with normal oil, just curious how does the oil look after 10k? I also didn’t have any repairs for my Firsta other than the shocks (which was covered by warranty). A ford can be much simpler than the other euros. This also depends on the model , for example people at the agents don’t have good things to say about the Kuga. Do you remember the time when the mondeo which came here ? Quite often hearing cases of it catching fire. You bought the ford for something like 4.5 mil -5.5 mil ? How much is it asking now ? Another person gets a similar year cheaper axio and how much is it asking now ? You have had trouble free ownership , enjoyed driving it and I wish you will have the same for years to come ! Euros have their merits and weaknesses as well , weakness being quite often losing a substantial amount of money , either in maintaining or selling. This might not be your requirement but it is of the vast majority. They are indeed better cars , that is for the people who will make use of their abilities. 

1. Again you should read the service manual. It clearly says "don't worry about the colour of the oil. Oil gets discoloured with use and loses some of its properties, but they are safe to use during the service schedule" (not in these exact words but that's the gist of it. In any case, I service all my cars in 6-month intervals, whether its a Toyota or a Ford.

2. You yourself claim that you never had any repairs with the Fiesta. Yet, you worship Toyotas

3. The Focus I own is the fully loaded version. It had all the electronic features of a contemporary BMW (except for retractable mirrors - those never came with Fords). The Focus shared its platform, engine, gearbox, most electronics with Volvo S40 and Mazda 3. So how can you say that its a simple car? The Mondeo and Jaguar X-type shared the same platform and electronics during Ford's ownership of Jaguar. So don't talk what you don't know.

4. I OWNED a Mondeo. It never caught fire. It was a comfy old barge. That's all.

5. I buy the car for myself. Not for the next owner. I won't be selling it for the foreseeable future and if I do, I know how to sell it for a good price.

5 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

1. Again you should read the service manual. It clearly says "don't worry about the colour of the oil. Oil gets discoloured with use and loses some of its properties, but they are safe to use during the service schedule" (not in these exact words but that's the gist of it. In any case, I service all my cars in 6-month intervals, whether its a Toyota or a Ford.

2. You yourself claim that you never had any repairs with the Fiesta. Yet, you worship Toyotas

3. The Focus I own is the fully loaded version. It had all the electronic features of a contemporary BMW (except for retractable mirrors - those never came with Fords). The Focus shared its platform, engine, gearbox, most electronics with Volvo S40 and Mazda 3. So how can you say that its a simple car? The Mondeo and Jaguar X-type shared the same platform and electronics during Ford's ownership of Jaguar. So don't talk what you don't know.

4. I OWNED a Mondeo. It never caught fire. It was a comfy old barge. That's all.

5. I buy the car for myself. Not for the next owner. I won't be selling it for the foreseeable future and if I do, I know how to sell it for a good price.

1. Alright if you say so not to worry about the color of normal oil. 

2. I don’t worship anything. I talk on behalf of the people who wants Toyota’s because there nothing wrong with it. It is indeed their requiement. Nothing to frown upon them or laugh at them. 

3. I said it it simpler than Other euros , namely BMW or Mercedes for example. Also the x type borrowed the platform from the mondeo. It didn’t use everything the mondeo did. ford engine , yes some ford buttons on the dash but it was a lot reliable then the mondeo. At the time of its launch I knew 2 people who bought them. Non of them were favorable. 

5. Exactly that is you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. But for someone with a different requirement of selling at a good price, it’s good if you can respect that. 

12 hours ago, TheFlyingFox said:

You have a tendency to shoot like a machine gun without a target. Try to be more of a sniper ?I was answering his question when he said that euros don’t need to change oil necessarily when the Japanese do and much more expensive.  Euro auto tranny oil is cheap is it ? Especially for those advance ZF units ? 

and you have tendency to not read what you are reading. I was replying to your blatant statement that Euros have life time service transmissions. Even Japanese cars theoretically (which is what you were being) have lifetime service transmissions. So as usual you were pigeon holing yourself without knowing all the facts.

13 hours ago, iRage said:

Uhh..okay...so for one year the services for the CR-V was 24K ? (excluding air filter and ATF change) presuming two were done at 500km/6 month intervals. Now your Euro is 15K per year ?

Nope it is actually three services in my case as i do around 15000 km / year

3 services @ Rs. 12k and Air filter approximately Rs. 42k,

Euro service once a year costs Rs. 60K which included the air filter as well

Edited by kush

1 hour ago, TheFlyingFox said:

Crosswind that is your experience. I too like you change cars quite often. Namely, Mini , Peugeot 206(Auto), Peugeot 307 , Peugeot 406, Peugeot 206( Manual) , Suzuki Liana, Audi A4 1.9Tdi, Volvo S60 2.0T, Ford Fiesta, Honda GP5, Honda GP4, Suzuki Wagon R ,Mercedes 190E, Daihatsu Copen. 

As as you see majority of my experience comes from Euros. Peugeot’s by far has been the least realible. The Volvo and Audi follows , the ford since it’s new didn’t give me any trouble. The Japanese on the other hand none of the cars gave na any sort of trouble. I too adore euros too for their engineering and abilities but for someone who doesn’t have experience or someone who has been using Japanese cars I will never recommend a euro. They are just too costly to maintain and you lose quite a lot when selling , if you are in a cash urgency then your might as well put a bank loan cause it is faster than waiting for your euro to sell. 

Euros are good used choice if you find a vehicle couple of years old with good recorded history. Most of them are well cared for by the 1st owner considering the price of the vehicle and most of them are brought by either companies or people who can afford to service at the agent.

1 hour ago, Crosswind said:

1.Euros have long service intervals because they need premium oil - untrue. I have been using Castrol 10w 30 for the past 7 years. Initially the agent used Toyota 10w 30 oil. Yes - contrary to what you might believe, Euros are not allergic to Toyota oil

any idea who manufactures the Toyota branded oil in this region ?

Also not quite. What I have observed is that when someone asks of a comparison between a Toyota and a Euro , usually the Toyota is being bashed and laughed upon and for the people who use them and the list goes on. It’s like a cult in certain ways , people should also look at needs and wants. People also can comment with pros and cons equally. 

For a reason, most of the time they are not doing a fair comparison. You do not compare an A3 with a Premio; or a Q3 with an Allion just because the price is the same thanks to our ridiculous tax system. Different categories of cars intended for different market segments and for different purposes. This is as ridiculous as buying a dog thinking it is a cat because it is the same size and weight and price.

At least this OP had the sense (at least later on) to actually ask to see if it was sensible to go for one category of car over another rather than do a direct comparison.

1 hour ago, Crosswind said:

If you talk to a person who has owned a multitude of cars, you will know why. If you talk to a person who had only owned Toyotas (and may be Nissans) all his life, then its like the blind leading the blind.

All the cars I have owned have been (select) Toyotas. . My secondary cars, long time work/office cars have been pretty much anything and everything. Anyone and everyone who knows me knows I am a die hard Toyota fan. Even if so...I still would not recommend certain cars just because they are Toyotas as there might be plenty of better alternatives in the segment that meets the whoever is asking's requirements. Just because one is a fan of a brand it doesn't mean that one should turn a blind eye towards its miss-steps. No brand is perfect.

7 minutes ago, kush said:

Nope it is actually three services in my case as i do around 15000 km / year

3 services @ Rs. 12k and Air filter approximately Rs. 42k,

Euro Rs. 60K which included the air filter as well

aha...

39 minutes ago, iRage said:

and you have tendency to not read what you are reading. I was replying to your blatant statement that Euros have life time service transmissions. Even Japanese cars theoretically (which is what you were being) have lifetime service transmissions. So as usual you were pigeon holing yourself without knowing all the facts.

I don’t see why what I said was wrong , I mentioned a Jaguar and a Peugeot. Bother the x type gearbox and the AL4 gearbox has lifetime gearbox oil from the factory. If you don’t change it , atlesst in this sort of climate it becomes a lot dirty and start giving problems. Where in the world did I say that the Japanese don’t ? I simply was answering a question where the member was stating that a Japanese cars gear oil changers are “more” expensive and the euro cars don’t need this sort of change. I guess you also agree with this so no problem. 

44 minutes ago, TheFlyingFox said:

I don’t see why what I said was wrong , I mentioned a Jaguar and a Peugeot. Bother the x type gearbox and the AL4 gearbox has lifetime gearbox oil from the factory. If you don’t change it , atlesst in this sort of climate it becomes a lot dirty and start giving problems. Where in the world did I say that the Japanese don’t ? I simply was answering a question where the member was stating that a Japanese cars gear oil changers are “more” expensive and the euro cars don’t need this sort of change. I guess you also agree with this so no problem. 

what you are missing is you singled out the Euros saying that they have lifetime service cycles (and now that it is expensive). However, the Japanese boxes also have a lifetime service cycle. That is what you need to comprehend.

So can we come to a close on this ? This thread is going to go on in circles as the last one did.

So to answer the OP's question. The logical, comfortable and easy choice would be the Premio considering the SL market. However, the whole cheap to run, rock solid market value, etc..are myths. The Audi would be the funner car and the more premium feeling ride.

The two are not in the same category but equally priced because of the tax structure.

Of course ?. Btw I took the liberty and checked the Jaguar service prices at the agents. ~60k for a diesel XF and ~45k for a old X Type. 

Right.

So servicing a Jag XF at the agents cost 60k. Servicing a Toyota Axio at the agents cost 16k. So Toyota wins. Congratulations!

• Haha 3

Ok.. so.. thanks everyone for your feedback.

I have done some research on my own by speaking with dealers, spare importers, service centers, and repair shops as well as maka baas's... my findings are as follows for anyone who is interested;

1. running maintenance - service costs are almost the same for both (assuming i service the premio at the dealer) but the A3 is actually cheaper because of the longer service interval.

2. spares - spares for the A3 are mostly at the mercy of the dealer, and apparently there can be a 2 week waiting time. But this may change in the future because many people are apparently buying the new A1's, A3's and Q2's. (alot of parts are apparently interchangeable between these 3 models).  I also got a quotation for a CV joint for both the premio and the a3 for the heck of it, and the Audi only costs 5k more. which is not bad at all.

3. reliability - A3 has many sensors and the car is not designed for our tropical humid climate so failing sensors is the only problem i have heard reliability wise. Toyota is a Toyota.

4. Was lucky enough to find both the vehicles in question at the same dealer, and i got to inspect/ test drive both. The A3 is a league apart in every way.. (comfort, sound, build quality)

finally decided to go with the A3 - because it wont be the first car in my garage, and also i'd rather pay 8.4mil for a 33k USD vehicle than 8.4mil for a 22k USD vehicle ?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations @Stryker!! Good choice ! Btw apologies for making your thread this long. Seems like you like sonical quality. Yes the sound system of most of these cars are worlds apart from the Japanese. Very balanced lows,mids and highs, You can hear all the instruments in a good song with one is these cars, soundstage is brilliant. 

Enjoy the nice lady ?

7 hours ago, Stryker said:

finally decided to go with the A3 - because it wont be the first car in my garage, and also i'd rather pay 8.4mil for a 33k USD vehicle than 8.4mil for a 22k USD vehicle ?

Congrats !

Now like they say...pics or it never happened ;););) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheFlyingFox said:

Yes the sound system of most of these cars are worlds apart from the Japanese

LOL, OP said in 4)COMFORT,SOUND,BUILD QUALITY. And you saw ONLY sound and pre-ejaculated another expert opinion? As Crosswind advised,Learn to Read mate!? I think your recommendation based on SOUND would be something like this?

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_CHATLANKA_COM_forum_3594.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ajm said:

LOL, OP said in 4)COMFORT,SOUND,BUILD QUALITY. And you saw ONLY sound and pre-ejaculated another expert opinion? As Crosswind advised,Learn to Read mate!? I think your recommendation based on SOUND would be something like this?

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_CHATLANKA_COM_forum_3594.jpg

I have already mentioned on things like comfort in my first post mate. Sound is something least discussed hence why I had a comment about it. It is not only about the audio equipment they use in euros , most of them have a woofer, midrange speaker and a tweeter separately , quite often the midrange is forcussed on another direction off the woofer to highlight it’s capable frequencies. Only a few people will appreciate proper sound. 

So so is this what you guys do ?  

Edit: A typical Japanese car on the other hand has a cheap tweeter and a equally cheep 2 way speaker, quite often weighing around a average Kandos chocolate bar. While 2 way or 3 way speakers design are economical and efficient , it also sacrifices SQ. Also there is something about the door design as well. The bass of the Japanese cars have this muddy and hallowness where most of these euro cars have precise "just right" tight bass. Even if you spend a lot on audio gear and replace everything , it will still be short in certain areas , sometimes the highs may sound harsh, sometimes the mids etc etc. also the time and effort to get it tuned applying all the settings under the sun. it won’t be as balanced or as pleasing to the ear as a euro design. Even the cheap Fiesta I had had far superior sonical experience to any of the japs i have been in including the ones which had a factory Rockford Fosgate audio system.

Edited by TheFlyingFox

11 hours ago, Stryker said:

Ok.. so.. thanks everyone for your feedback.

I have done some research on my own by speaking with dealers, spare importers, service centers, and repair shops as well as maka baas's... my findings are as follows for anyone who is interested;

1. running maintenance - service costs are almost the same for both (assuming i service the premio at the dealer) but the A3 is actually cheaper because of the longer service interval.

2. spares - spares for the A3 are mostly at the mercy of the dealer, and apparently there can be a 2 week waiting time. But this may change in the future because many people are apparently buying the new A1's, A3's and Q2's. (alot of parts are apparently interchangeable between these 3 models).  I also got a quotation for a CV joint for both the premio and the a3 for the heck of it, and the Audi only costs 5k more. which is not bad at all.

3. reliability - A3 has many sensors and the car is not designed for our tropical humid climate so failing sensors is the only problem i have heard reliability wise. Toyota is a Toyota.

4. Was lucky enough to find both the vehicles in question at the same dealer, and i got to inspect/ test drive both. The A3 is a league apart in every way.. (comfort, sound, build quality)

You will love it, trust me! The few thousands you might save if you bought the premio will not matter,when half the chicks love Audi and u getting to honk at jungi wet chicks at holy family convent ?! ( also your nandamma will be proud. “Ape duwage mahatayya kotipatiyak”) your hates will be like machan aru dan olympic car ekak padinne(real life scenario)

Edited by fiat fan