• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Steering Wheel Clock Spring

Kumudu

When Installing multi-function keys for my Toyota Vitz 2017 Bara Stereos Guys removed Steering Wheel Clock Spring. I was told it doesn't do any help at the time, but now I'm concerned as I heard it's a part of air bag system. What do you guys know about this? Should I fix it back?

Edited by Kumudu

35 minutes ago, Jason_Bourne said:

AFIK it's the mechanism which allows airbag to be connected to the cars electronic system.

Does this mean your airbag is not working(airbag light on) or it might break if you take a tight turn?

Air Bag light doesn't light on (Shows no warning)

1 hour ago, Kumudu said:

Air Bag light doesn't light on (Shows no warning)

So it means the wire to airbag is still connected and system is active. You might break the wire if you pull a tight turn. 
Have it fixed asap.
Car designers don't put any component if they are not absolutely necessary. If designers can take away the "Steering Wheel Clock Spring" from a cars original design, it will save a huge cost when mass produced! 

• Like 2

If they removed Clockspring, all of the electrical functions that are terminated at the steering wheel may not work and can also lose function of the horn and multi-function keys. So I guess they have changed it to new one to support your multi-function keys. 

1 hour ago, Jason_Bourne said:

So it means the wire to airbag is still connected and system is active. You might break the wire if you pull a tight turn. 
Have it fixed asap.
Car designers don't put any component if they are not absolutely necessary. If designers can take away the "Steering Wheel Clock Spring" from a cars original design, it will save a huge cost when mass produced! 

In SL we have talented people than vehicle designers. Thats why they remove some unwanted parts. :speechless-smiley-004:

Feeling sad as a country where we move.

Edited by kusumsiri

4 hours ago, Prangi said:

If they removed Clockspring, all of the electrical functions that are terminated at the steering wheel may not work and can also lose function of the horn and multi-function keys. So I guess they have changed it to new one to support your multi-function keys. 

That was my guess too...

• 5 years later...