• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Work in progress. Cleaning the valves and polishing rocker arm shafts.

udz8JSF.jpgCvMn68Y.jpgeRgELjb.jpglOL9LtR.jpgi0HOu7p.jpg

Edited by varotone
added pics
  • Like 2

My engine bores need honing. I'm waiting till I get a free day to take it to the machine shop. Had a close look at the carburetor and kind of disappointed.

There are cracks near the carburetor mounting bolts, EGR lines are clogged up, a coolant line to the carb is broken and sealed. The carb needs a lot of work. Also, the carb is "Aisan". I gather that the original was "Solex" manufactured by "Mikuni". I have 4 options to fix this mess.

1. Search for a carburetor expert who can refurbish this one. (Neeyourou help to find one)

2. Buy a reconditioned carb from a scrap yard. (Didn't go hunting for one. But my mechanic says it will be available)

3. Buy a brand new Japanese carb (the most expensive option. Mikuni goes for about $250 on eBay. Didn't find any here)

4. Buy a brand new Thaiwan / Chinese carb (readily available here. 4 places had them. Goes for 15-20k)

I would like to know your thoughts on this.

ig8Teo3.jpg

6OaWYjC.jpgmAu4rhM.jpg

Added

Following some older threads on AL, I called Dhammika at Kotta rd. To discuss my options. He says he doesn't do carb overhaul. Does only tuning. He told me to contact Shantha. (He clearly said he can't recommend the guy. But he does carb overhauls.) Found that Shantha runs the Carburetor Banda's place in Grandpass and doesn't have good reviews on AL. So, I'm back at square one. Looking at how rare carb mechanics are I'm seriously considering learning carburetor repairs myself.

Edited by varotone
Added content

HELP NEEDED

I have some basic questions and at this point I'm too afraid to ask.

1. What engines came with this car? YOM 1983. (According to my manual, it was manufactured with 4G3 series and 4G5 series engines.)

2. My engine number starts with G12B-CB-XXXX. What engine do I have? I believe it's 4G12B. 1400cc Orion with jet valves.

3. How can I find out what engine it had when it was manufactured? And know if it was swapped later on? (I just want to know if the current engine is the same model as it was designed to fit. I'm alright if a previous owner had replaced it with one of same model)

4. Does anyone have a engine repair manual for my engine? (I remember seeing a large collection of Lancer manuals somewhere on AL. But a search didn't show the ones I need)

13 hours ago, varotone said:

1. What engines came with this car? YOM 1983. (According to my manual, it was manufactured with 4G3 series and 4G5 series engines.)

In Sri Lanka the 1400cc 4G12 (Orion engine. Referred to by some mechanics as "Orient engine") and the 4G33 (Saturn engine) were the most popular. I believe I have seen a couple of early model A72 Lancers with 1200cc 4G36 engines, but are rare. Then we've got the very rare GSR that came with a 1600cc 4G32 engine. The GSR is the first gen Lancer responsible for many world  rally victories, putting the "Mitsubishi" name in the map of world rallying. There are a couple of 2 door Lancer GSRs in the country.

2. My engine number starts with G12B-CB-XXXX. What engine do I have? I believe it's 4G12B. 1400cc Orion with jet valves.

That is correct. Your engine is the most common one that came on these cars.

3. How can I find out what engine it had when it was manufactured? And know if it was swapped later on?

If the book has been updated, I don't think you can. There might be a digit in the chassis number that corresponds to the engine model that was installed on the car. You'll have to find a chassis number decoder and see if that'll work, but I doubt these old chassis numbers work with them.

4. Does anyone have a engine repair manual for my engine?

This is the manual for 4G3 carb series. The 4G1 series carb manual is abit hard to find. So maybe you can use this for now as they are very similar. 

http://mitsubishi-motors.kiev.ua/Manuals/Engine/pwee9049/11A.pdf

• Thanks 1