• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

HELP NEEDED

1. Did this car come with a voltage regulator? If yes, where was it mounted?

2. This is a photo of what I think the oil pressure sensor. Am I correct? If not where do I find the oil pressure sensor?5HJjGG5.jpg

3. I'm seeing 3 faily thick (3mm) wires without any connections. It was just dangling from the wire loom. Can anybody identify what these are for? I couldn't find where these lead to.

iHg4B7q.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help.

2 hours ago, varotone said:

HELP NEEDED

1. Did this car come with a voltage regulator? If yes, where was it mounted?

Yes. It should have come with a electro-mechanical regulator (rectangular  one in a metal cover) mounted near the driver side shock mount. However, it is possible that the original alternator has been replaced and the external regulator has become obsolete.

2. This is a photo of what I think the oil pressure sensor. Am I correct? If not where do I find the oil pressure sensor?

Yes. That is the oil pressure switch. However, as I remember it should have a single wire connection to it.  Anyway that's not important.

3. I'm seeing 3 faily thick (3mm) wires without any connections. It was just dangling from the wire loom. Can anybody identify what these are for? I couldn't find where these lead to.

That's a difficult one for me I'm afraid.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Thanks 1

Any amount of repairs/mods/temp-fixes could have been done during the many decades the car has been maintained .It is clear that the battery is being charged some how,. 

starting with your battery, you have to get the services of a qualified autoelectritian.

+ you run a serious fire risk with having exposed open wires..

Good luck,..

p.s. upload a pic of the alternator if u can.

TT.

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much for the help. Here's a picture of the alternator.Hkrbyoe.jpg

It has 3 wires. One thick wire (2mm, disconnect in the photo) for Battery+. Other two are thin (0.5mm) wires via a connector. Difficult to disconnect the connector in a hurry. I'll try it tomorrow and check where the wires go to.

I'm fairly certain that the alternator has been replaced with one with a built-in voltage regulator. The free wires must be for the voltage regulator which is obsolete now. These wires are right next to the alternator long enough to reach the right side shock absorber mounts. The two thin wires connected must be for battery sensor currently for stator coils and another for battery indicator on the dashboard.

I certainly need a qualified auto electrician. But looking at the quality of the electrical repairs done on this, I'm having second thoughts about them. I'm taking my time and fixing the wiring properly by soldering the splices and using insulation tubing and replacing damaged wires. I'm not sure if the mechanics would do it up to my expectations. Besides, the experts here at AL are very helpful and I may be able to do it without a mechanic😀.

Edited by varotone
Insert missing photo

I want to fix the rusted out area in front of the dashboard before re-fixing the dashboard. Got down a tinkerer and he said the fenders and windshield may need to be removed to get access to the area. So this is not simple as it sounds and I think about expediting the project and doing all the tinkering and painting at this point.

Please comment on how much would it cost for tinkering and painting of the whole car. I understand that the cost depends on the condition of my car, but I'm clueless about the cost of painting and tinkering. So please give me an estimate for how much I should expect to pay. My plan is to do hire a tinkerer and repair the rust and do the tinkering at home. I'm not going to get it done at some fancy garage. But I prefer to use a fancy painting booth for painting.

UPDATE

I was quoted Rs. 180,000 for the tinkering only including materials.

Edited by varotone
Edit