• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

47 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Out of curiosity, what's the mileage shown on the odometer?

17,346.3 to be precise. It has only 5 digits. I wonder how many times it could have hit 99,999.9 (Or how many times it was reversed)┬á­čĄö

• Like 1

6 hours ago, varotone said:

17,346.3 to be precise. It has only 5 digits. I wonder how many times it could have hit 99,999.9 (Or how many times it was reversed)┬á­čĄö

Mine cycled twice during the 13 years of ownership. :D

It's pointless worrying about the mileage of a 40 year old car which you've purchased to restore. You're eventually going to strip out the engine for overhaul anyway. 

8 hours ago, varotone said:

BTW, where can I find connector terminals?

From a salvage yard if you want to find the exact connectors. You can substitute it with aftermarket ones if you're unable to find originals. From experience, most Japanese connectors follow similar design, so you should be able to find matching ones. Auto Electrics shops in Panchikawatte should be having them. 

Edited by Davy
Added more content

Some electronics shops have new terminals. But they don't fit mine. They look flimsy too. If I'm buying them, I'll have to get both male and female ones. Thanks for the info. I'll look at Japanese reconditioned parts shops.

I'm not at all worried about the milage. It would be nice to know how many times the car could have traveled back and forth to the moon!­čśÇ

15 hours ago, Davy said:

Mine cycled twice during the 13 years of ownership. :D

It's pointless worrying about the mileage of a 40 year old car which you've purchased to restore. You're eventually going to strip out the engine for overhaul anyway. 

OFC but wouldn't it be awesome if it had 6 digits and recorded the correct mileage... 

UPDATES

Our garages are notorious for cutting the wiring just because they are too lazy to properly remove them. Mine has also suffered the same damage. Instead of buying a reconditioned harness, I decided to restore it myself. I spliced one connection today. Here's the steps briefly.

1. Clean the area. You'll see the color coded wires, any damages well, and helps the solder and insulation tapes to stick well.

2. Figure out which wires go where. Note it down in a paper or label the wires with masking tape

3. Cut the frayed ends and strip the insulation.

4. Tin the wire ends. (Tinning means to coat the wire with soldering lead)

5. Slip in a piece of heat shrink tubing

6. Solder the ends.

7. Cover the splice with the heat shrink tubing. Heat it up.

8. Wra the wires with insulation tape. Remember this insulation tape is not actually meant to insulate the wires. The heat shrink sleeve should do the insulation. Wrap the insulation tape to keep the wires organized and tidy.

9. Check the resistance across the splice and for short circuits with nearby wires.

Here's how the damage before repair.

Q8yaG4c.jpg

This is the result

0TjCJbm.jpg

• Like 1

A very big thank you to @Davy for buying a Haynes manual for me:appl:. When I mentioned that I want to buy a workshop manual, he was very helpful in dropping me a PM about this manual being up for sale and offered to buy it for me. He even said that I can pay after I had received it! Davy is by far the most helpful person that I have met online. Sir, I don't know how to thank you enough for this favor.

It's an unused Haynes manual. If anyone needs a photo copy, drop me a PM.

rIeqsb6.jpg

• Like 4

The manual describes some features like 'hold speed function' a rudimentary cruise control, seat belt warning chime, high speed warning chime, EGR, shock absorbing buffer attachments, and door open light. Are these features available in this particular one? YOM 1983 JDM version.

Lookslike the Japanese automotive technology had achieved everything in that era:sport-smiley-004: (looks like today's cars just throwed in a bunch of electronics to just complicate an already existing, simple setup)

On 11/9/2018 at 9:43 PM, varotone said:

Sir´╗┐, I don't know how to thank you enough for this favor.´╗┐´╗┐

No worries at all. Glad I could help. :)

2 hours ago, varotone said:

The´╗┐ ´╗┐manual describes some features like 'hold speed function' a rudimentary cruise control, seat belt warning chime, high speed warning chime, EGR, shock absorbing buffer attachments, and door open light. Are these features available in this particular one? YOM 1983 JDM version.´╗┐´╗┐

The door open light is standard I'm pretty sure. Yours should be having it as well. High speed warning chime as well (mine was activated at 110 km/h. Sounded like a Xylophone. Just two notes that sounded sort of like a doorbell :D) 

I think the shock absorbing bumper is a safety feature that was mandatory at the time in some markets like the US and Australia. I have seen this attachment in some A72 Lancers in Sri Lanka as well. It makes the bumpers stick out than normal, so ruins the look of the car a little. 

UPDATES

Took apart the steering wheel and tried to fix the butchered wiring. Managed to get the switches working except for the PASS switch. So, I'm thinking about buying the whole switch stalk assembly.

Shopping list:

1. Hazard light relay

2. Connector for hazard light relay

3. Headlight relay

4. Connector for headlight relay

5. Switch stalk assembly

Appreciate if you could tell me where to find these and the approximate cost.

There's a light named DOOR in the dash. But the slot for the bulb is sealed from outside. There are switches in the door jambs. But the wires are missing.

EDIT:

Looked around for the switch assembly. Came across 2 reconditioned ones. None of them had all the switches functional. So don't buy it. Next would be to look in panchi or delkanda.

Edited by varotone
Added