• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Charging battery while connected to the car

john cooper

Should be ok, as this is generally recommended method for charging the battery or to trickle charge if parked for a long time

Make sure you get the polarities correct, generally charges have safety mechanisms builtin

Go through the car owners manual just to make sure, generally they will have a section on this

Make sure the battery does not overflow with charging, and keep the battery cover+ bonnet open for the volatile gases to disperse,..

Your car has a jumbo, expensive battery. it's important to keep it in good condition, specially if you are a light user . get your car a trickle/float charger,..

TT.

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, john cooper said:

jump cables not long enough

Haven't heard this before. How long are they? :) Or are you saying that the car is parked in a garage, facing a wall and there is no way to being another car close to it? 

And yes, it should be fine to charge while the battery is still connected to the car. This is essentially what the alternator does. You just need to make sure the charger doesn't output more than 14.7v or so. If you're not sure, just disconnect the negative terminal. It's literally a 30 second job. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, vag2 said:

IMO problems would occur only if theres a short(to body etc) or the clamps come off during charging(unfavorable pulses to Electronics)

Still why not remove the terminals of car while charging or even get the battery out and charge?

I am worried about resetting all the settings (not the clock or radio stations) but the values related to throttle (fitted with a aftermarket throttle controller) and car is chipped so worried about those.

regards

JC

4 hours ago, Davy said:

Haven't heard this before. How long are they? :) Or are you saying that the car is parked in a garage, facing a wall and there is no way to being another car close to it? 

And yes, it should be fine to charge while the battery is still connected to the car. This is essentially what the alternator does. You just need to make sure the charger doesn't output more than 14.7v or so. If you're not sure, just disconnect the negative terminal. It's literally a 30 second job. 

Davy,

I have parked this out side my garage and access to the front of the car bit narrow and the car inside the garage parked to the forward facing.

jump leads about 2-3 meters  i guess but they were not enough length to reach out to the other car at the back ?

i am sure i should be able to locate the output of the charger to see it is with in the safer range.

regards

JC