• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Wagon R Depreciation

dantoddd

1 hour ago, Nishan.dj said:

Good explanation @tiv. It's good to have a car for each family too. :) 

Can anyone share the differences between company imported ones and ones imported through car sales people?

If I buy a brand new one, which one would be ideal. Thanks guys.

47 minutes ago, hrm said:

There's a FB owners  group  which is pretty active. I noticed some common problems mentioned by them.

1. Adjuster (really don't know what it is) making noise after power washing engine bay

2. Premature failure of 12V battery and ISG unit

3. Start stop system malfunctions

I'm no expert on Wagon R . Never have or will own one 

This is what I got to know prior to my research when buying the Hustler.

A*W Wagon R (agent brand new )

Pros 

Company warranty no problems 

Attractive colours 

Insured as brand new 

Cons

Only one bodystyle. Matter of taste 

Pricing may vary. Maybe costlier 

Fewer options 

Resale is subjective

JDM Wagon R

Pros

Lot of options with turbo etc

3 body styles with variety 

Pricing is lesser and can negotiate 

Cons

Never know the mileage 

Likely R grade history

If jump started in the harbour 95% Prone to ISG failure or hybrid battery failure within few runs

Hybrid battery stolen in harbour or along the way 

Bland colour options 

Warranty is subjective depending on the retailer 

Cons Common to both

The car is too common 

The main drive belt adjuster is prone to failure if high pressure washed. This is only safe in the Hustler.

The main drive belt may fail. As the ISG tends assist to rev the engine under acceleration so straining the belt thus needing replacement every 30k kms. If failed car won't run.

The hybrid batteries last approx 150000km

Even if a minimal drop in the 12v battery is sensed the system throws fault codes and easily indicated with flashing @ sign. Thereby needing replacement.

Oil is 0w-20 Or 5w-30 mostly available as synthetic thus pricey. 10000-20000LKR per service ie 10000km. A*W needs 5000km intervals for needless picking about "cleaning brake drums adjustment of what not etc" #ripping off

All are CVT thus below average torque and pull, CVT oil needs changing 30-40k km. 

Vital advice- whatever wagon R u get, do not leave it in any garage or even the agent as the hybrid battery can be nicked in few mins and the internals can be carried in a pocket leaving just the casing. This happened to me.

110,000LKR replacement

Do check the fb groups. Quite informative 

Edited by tiv

On 9/24/2018 at 8:59 PM, Nishan.dj said:

someone has to drive it at least 240kms a day without any day off for 42 months to make it 300000kms 

This is possible if someone starts around 4am and run until 10pm in taxi service assuming you get hires without no time gaps.

if the current market conditions apply,  you might be able to sell it for about 2mil.

If you maintain it off the agent and do all the hacks to make it as 40000kms as milage, you would sell it for about 2.5mil.

better to find someone who has done 300000kms on a wagonr and ask what sort of problems he encountered during maintenance. and also share it among us as well.

Thanks. Basically If you buy a car for taxi u must target daily income at around Rs 10000. And that's actually achieved by a number of people. in order to get 10000 rs per day the vehicle has to cover approx 240 km.

I'm also skeptical whether the vehicle will hold up for 300000 Km without too many issues. I'm also looking at Alto its significantly cheaper and a simpler vehicle. wonder if there are many altos around which have covered this milage.

14 minutes ago, dantoddd said:

Thanks. Basically If you buy a car for taxi u must target daily income at around Rs 10000. And that's actually achieved by a number of people. in order to get 10000 rs per day the vehicle has to cover approx 240 km.

I'm also skeptical whether the vehicle will hold up for 300000 Km without too many issues. I'm also looking at Alto its significantly cheaper and a simpler vehicle. wonder if there are many altos around which have covered this milage.

I have seen few over 200k used as cabs. Even a Tata Nano with over 200k

Speaking of Wagon R.... I saw this on FB now the validity of the claim is subjective BUT since we spoke about long-term usage of Wagon R and Keis in general posting this here. 

image.png.c8644970b8c9136d42110433a35f27b0.png

Edited by matroska
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, matroska said:

Speaking of Wagon R.... I saw this on FB now the validity of the claim is subjective BUT since we spoke about long-term usage of Wagon R and Keis in general posting this here. 

image.png.c8644970b8c9136d42110433a35f27b0.png

This could be due to his personal issue of maintaining. 

WagonR needs both engine and hybrid battery serviced on different intervals. If battery is ignored, it lacks the power given to the engine or whatever the power that it gives to move the vehicle. So the engine gets overloaded and it runs out quickly. Also, with heavy luggage will make this worse.  Tourism means heavy luggage and at least considerable no of people. 

There are known facts (off label) being practiced by some service agents to keep domestic cars in operation to our road conditions and climate. (Unreg,Recon means these units have been used in Japan and who knows what happened there) Even though we service according to the manufacturer, "Where was the service done?" is a question. 

I believe, a well maintained Wagon R can be used more than 150000kms and as it's a hybrid with very little engine, it needs more care than other cars. 

• Thanks 1

We had 2 Susuki alto -2 and Suzuki 800 and charade they all had the came issue after 150000 Km 660 - 1000cc cars.

They stated puffing blue smoke so we sold them quick. 

the new engines have start stop as well and some are turbos so the engine has do a lot more.

Looking at how the red wagon R suffered from the head on with the vezel, I believe there are more things to worry about than mileage vs longevity!

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 1:13 PM, tiv said:

Looking at how the red wagon R suffered from the head on with the vezel, I believe there are more things to worry about than mileage vs longevity!

http://www.nasva.go.jp/mamoru/popup/uUjKAHMjC2U

See JNCAP Rating for Wagon R

On 10/1/2018 at 1:13 PM, tiv said:

No occupant of the said vehicle would've died if all of them were wearing seatbelts imo.

Vezel collided with the WR head-on on the driver's side, Driver side of the wagonR took the worst of the brunt but the driver didn't suffer critical injuries

Edited by Hyaenidae

Yes with improved crumple zones newer cars absorb the brunt better than old heavy cars for passenger, but still with all the bells and whistles of safety features, momentum is still a key factor of safety.

Kei cars < normal cars < Jeeps< Lanka Ashok Layland < trains

2 hours ago, waka said:

Yes with improved crumple zones newer cars absorb the brunt better than old heavy cars for passenger, but still with all the bells and whistles of safety features, momentum is still a key factor of safety.

so Vessel is a "Jeep"? I would not be surprised if Vessel drivers emboldened by this accident start driving recklessly like they have a BMW or Merc now..

Lol Vezel being called a "Jeep", its not even a proper SUV,

the comparison itself is absurd! Let alone the term.

TBH Most vezel fellows do drive like they are invincible, heavy acceleration, sudden stops, until an old box prado rapes them in

a traffic light!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, waka said:

I would like to add the definition of the momentum here as it seems the above order can mislead something.

"Momentum is the product of the mass and velocity of an object"

Edited by kusumsiri
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, waka said:

Add Nissan Patrol specifically somewhere on the same level as Leyland ? ...and I think vezel should fall into "normal cars". arent keis marginally safer than Alto?

Theproblem with SL is :

Alto drivers think they drive an Audi, Kei drivers think they drive an SUV, Vezelites think they are driving a Land Cruiser...oh and bus drivers think they drive the Millennium Falcon.

• Haha 2