• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suggestions for a good car between 1.7-2.2 million

Eranga Jaysena

On 9/24/2018 at 7:58 PM, TheFlyingFox said:

After owning 3 Peugeot’s , I will never recommend an old Peugeot to anyone.

Just out of curiosity.. if the pugs are such a pain in the a**; why would you go on and buy 3 of them?
i mean you must have been convinced after buying two of them right? why on earth would you buy a third?? :D

On 9/24/2018 at 7:58 PM, TheFlyingFox said:

After owning 3 Peugeot’s , I will never recommend an old Peugeot to anyone. There is a reason why Peugeot’s depreciate so much. They are very nice cars when they work, very very comfortable cars , nightmares when they fail. They are feature packed a lot more than Japs and most of these features are electrical. Cars like the 406 , 307, 206. 206 being the most reliable , less sophisticated from the rest. While their bodies are built like tanks , there are so many electrical issues with these cars after they age. They are thursty , expensive spare parts, to diagnose you need someone with Peugeot planet and the list goes on and on. Marques like Volvo , Mercedes or even Audi / Volkswagen is more reliable than a Pug when they age. I have owned a lot of Euros , Volvo’s, fords , Audi’s , one old merc (190E) , I spent most of my time in garages when I owned a Pug! Famous anti pollution fault, check light most of the time , starter motors, cooling systems etc etc ! 

The 307 had a Hydro electric power steering pump lol. and I had to search the whole island to find a reconditioned spare to replace. Why couldn’t they make the whole things just electric or mechanical like the rest I don’t know. Adding an electric motor instead of a pully and making it use a externally thin oil (8000 or 4000 a small bottle as I recall, that too only available at the agents) it took about 2 or 3 bottles to refill. The unit plus the oil costed more than 40k at that time. If a repair like come on a Jap car of that era how much will it cost ? Reconditioned Pump and oil ? Say 15000 at most ? 

Edit : On top of these , all these cars from this era came with the dreaded AL4 auto gearbox. While it’s smoothness and shifting characteristics were really ahead of the Japs at that time, when they go bad (which is frequent)  , it is really expensive to fix starting from the special oil it uses. 

If the lady gets an old Pug, might as well keep a portable mechanic in her purse 

Everybody knows these machan! Everybody knows an old pug is a nightmare to run. "ප්‍රසිද්ධ රහස්"

But not everyone is honest or self confident to accept these. There were owners who vouched me that an Allion 240 would do 16 kmpl and a FD1 would do 10 kmpl in traffic! lol :D 

These guys think if you own a car (or anything for that matter) everything else is inferior to it! They actually know it is not, but they season their mentality to accept it. What I hate is when they try to push their mentality in to others! :(

44 minutes ago, Jason_Bourne said:

Everybody knows these machan! Everybody knows an old pug is a nightmare to run. "ප්‍රසිද්ධ රහස්"

But not everyone is honest or self confident to accept these. There were owners who vouched me that an Allion 240 would do 16 kmpl and a FD1 would do 10 kmpl in traffic! lol :D 

These guys think if you own a car (or anything for that matter) everything else is inferior to it! They actually know it is not, but they season their mentality to accept it. What I hate is when they try to push their mentality in to others! :(

There is an old quote guys....?

"Never argue with an idiot they’ll drag you down to their level and beat you through experience.....?"

7 hours ago, LashNeo said:

Just out of curiosity.. if the pugs are such a pain in the a**; why would you go on and buy 3 of them?
i mean you must have been convinced after buying two of them right? why on earth would you buy a third?? :D

Here's the thing. For someone like me, at the time i bought these cars, i was single. There is something magical about the way Pugs make you feel when they actually work. You buy a 406 and it hurts you, then you buy another thinking it will be different, but its worse. End of the day, being totally frustrated and you drive out of the garage with everything fixed and the smile i get for the way they drive is priceless ! Short lived of course :D

I wouldn't recommend these old cars to anyone but a die hard fan or someone who has money to throwaway. Even the not so old 3008 models are struggling to fetch even 3.5 million. They have too many features packed into them, More chances of things going wrong. Sophistication of these features compared to Japs, jacks up the prices of repairs by quite a margin!

7 hours ago, Jason_Bourne said:

Very true ! One should always accept pros and cons ! It's true what you say, It doesn't apply only to cars. lots of people think "what they own" is the best lol. Flaws , no way!