• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Scams on autolanka.com??

cecald

Question

Hello everyone!  I'm moving to Sri Lanka (Colombo) in 1 week, and hoping to have a starter vehicle picked out as soon as possible.  I have found many interesting vehicles!  However, I'm truly confused if these are all scams, or if there is some possibility of truth to perhaps some of these ads.  I've also emailed a few car owners on ###### - but I'm not having much luck with email on that website.  

1. 2013 landcruiser - $1,600,000: obviously a scam (this ad makes me think I'm calibrated to detect scams)

2. 1969 Mitsubishi Jeep - $1,060,000: Still seems like a scam?  Or maybe not?  Now I'm getting confused

3 . 1980 Daihatsu F50 - $1,220,000: okay, now I'm really confused.  Seems like this would be listed for more on ######, but maybe I'm just wrong?  Nah, still pretty sure it's a scam.

Anyhow, i guess my point is: Is there a better way to search to eliminate all the false ads without having to see all the fakes?  Or is the ###### website a bit better?  

Appreciate any advice offered

7 answers to this question

Unfortunately not...you will just have to go through and pick the bad apples out yourself. Sometimes although the price is 'wrong' (like a Prado for 1.6mil); the adverts and the car itself are legitimate. In these cases the sellers sometimes put the price the seller expects as the initial payment which excludes the rest of the lease payments the buyer has to take over, sometimes they just put their own lease payment amount as the price, etc...so there really is no easy way to filter these out.

As for the two old jeeps...i don't know...are you suggesting those prices are too low ? Considering a similar vintage Land Cruiser goes for nearly 2mil ?

Since there is 4DR5 Short Wheel & a F50 on that link, 

The Mitsu is 25 Sri which I think comes under Land Vehicles category which is what is best as per my guest because of the very low annual fees for licenses. And being a short wheel and not being a 31 Sri, it might goes to that price. But still worth it if someone wants to modify or restore. (Number doesn't matter) and the engine says 2.6 but I think it should be 2.7

F50 price is higher than expected as those have a lower market value here in SL. It seems the F50 is maintained well and therefore he tries to sell it for an amount he think is reasonable for him.

IMO, many of the ads in online classifieds (in SL) indirectly expect the potential buyers to call and fix for the in-person inspection before coming to a deal.

In a few cases, someone else put the ads online on behalf of the owners. The person who put ads may enter some arbitrary price for the vehicles (maybe with no serious intentions).

As @iRage mentioned, they might have mentioned the money they want in their hand to take over the EMI.

Therefore, those ads need not be scams in most cases.

Edited by gNaveendra