• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Radiator fan not working

Pubsamare

Question

Guys, I have a honda ek3. The radiator fan is coupled to the AC fan (through a relay I think, I'm not exactly sure how it was done), to make the radiator fan to come on when the AC fan kicks in, which was done several years back.

For the last few months I noticed the heat going up when stuck in traffic after a long run. No problems in continuous driving, including the highway. 

Today I realized that the radiator fan works when the AC fan kicks in, but does not work for rising heat when the AC is off. 

Before going to the mechanic, I would like to know where the problem could be. Aprreciate any insights for this matter. 

Thanks guys. 

Edited by Pubsamare

5 answers to this question

Hold everything !

Since you're not living on the  north pole, your car needs help.

Your car needs an auto electrician. the rad fan should interdependently turn on to cool the rad with the A/C is off.

don't over heat your engine , as you'll have mega head aches,..?

Seek help from a Good auto electrician

Good luck.

TT.

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 9:53 PM, Pubsamare said:

The radiator fan is coupled to the AC fan (through a relay I think, I'm not exactly sure how it was done), to make the radiator fan to come on when the AC fan kicks in, which was done several years back.
Today I realized that the radiator fan works when the AC fan kicks in, but does not work for rising heat when the AC is off. 

Someone has f**ked up your cooling system electronics bro! Probably a bakapandithaya who doesn't know the cars' design! :(  
Civics have a dual fan system designed specifically for the AC system and Radiator which needs no such alteration. this system is 100% capable of keeping the AC condenser and the engine at the required temp.
Don't run with these makabass setups which will ruin the car in the long run.

This is how the OEM system works.

If engine needs cooling both fans work at their max speed supplying radiator with a cool air flow and both fans shuts off when thermostat engages. (This operation is not related to AC, both fans should run at max speed to quickly cool down the engine)

If the AC kicks-in the passenger side fan works in variable speeds to cool the AC condenser. But if engine needs cooling at the same time both fans kicks in at max speed irrespective of the AC.

This is critical for cooling system. Never alter fan setup, coolant temp sensors or thermostat design.

Anyway follow these steps to diagnose the problem.

1. First scan the car and check for any errors. A bad temp sensor(there are 2, one in the lower radiator area and one up on the engine)  or relay/fuse will definitely throw a code. 

2. Then check all the wires.

3. Then check if the fan is actually bad by testing it with a ohm meter.

Always keep an eye on the temp gauge as a habit when driving any car.

Even if you replace the whole cooling system it would still be cheaper than a warped head and a blown head gasket! 

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys... Actually the problem turned out to be a very minor and an embarrassing issue. One of the wires coming from the thermostat has got disconnected. Now everything is fine. Thanks for the help guys. Sorry to have troubled you guys for such a minor issue. 

27 minutes ago, Pubsamare said:

Thanks a lot guys... Actually the problem turned out to be a very minor and an embarrassing issue. One of the wires coming from the thermostat has got disconnected. Now everything is fine. Thanks for the help guys. Sorry to have troubled you guys for such a minor issue. 

Cheers 

TT.