• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

madushan cool

Question

11 answers to this question

16 minutes ago, madushan cool said:

What is the major issues of CVT against AT , some people said CVT  has not long last survival, is it correct. 

If your talking about the very early belt driven CVT then yes they had their fair share of problems. But these days CVTs are just as reliable as any conventional Auto while providing better economy. Even the small bikes have CVT boxes. 

19 minutes ago, madushan cool said:

What is the major issues of CVT against AT , some people said CVT  has not long last survival, is it correct. 

These are probably the same people who back in the day said automatic transmission will give trouble and not run as long and will be less reliable than manual. :) 

Obviously when a new technology first enters the market, it can have it's issues. Especially as the tech becomes complicated. It's been quite a while since CVTs have been on the roads and the newer versions are pretty reliable. If the transmission oil is changed on time and proper service is done, I don't see why a CVT shouldn't last as long as a conventional auto.

3 minutes ago, tcfern1 said:

What is the cvt fluid change time pls

it depends on the make as far as i know. for Honda CVT's (Insight,Civic FD3,CRZ,Fit Gp1/2/4)  first change is at 38,000 kms and 40,000 kms afterwards.

Someone with Toyotas can update about Toyota 

But due to harsh driving conditions oil changes at lesser intervals wouldn't be a bad idea. 

1 hour ago, madushan cool said:

well no issues as such - yes there were issues in some models But that boils down to maintenance. The older CVT's were not as bullet proof as older A/T but now things are actually better.  Driving wise you  might notice some differences - one thing i don't like about cvt is that tiny bit of rollback on steep inclines. 

On 9/18/2018 at 1:41 AM, Davy said:

These are probably the same people who back in the day said automatic transmission will give trouble and not run as long and will be less reliable than manual. :) 

Even nowadays I see videos on Youtube where regular automatics in new vehicles having problems.

• Sad 1

Guys this may sound like a stupid question.I am having a hard time figuring out the gear box in my car..I have searched and gathered the following points so far.

1- in a conventional auto gear box we can actually feel the gears are being shifted whereas in cvt you we do not feel the shift change- in my case I can feel the 1st gear shifts and I do not feel any subsequent shifts.instead RPM level goes up along with the acceleration.

2- We can identify cvt by looking at gear lever-In conventional auto gear lever contains P,R,N,D,2,1. However in cvt it’s usually P,R,N,D,S,L.- in my case it’s the latter. Also in my understanding you can not identify CVT by just looking at the gear lever- help me clarify 

Car is Demio- 2009- DBA-DE3FS- 1340cc

thanks in advance.

4 minutes ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

in my case I can feel the 1st gear shifts and I do not feel any subsequent shifts.instead RPM level goes up along with the acceleration.

You do have the tachometer, right?

If the rpm drops as it does in this video after it changes a gear, it's a conventional auto.

If it just keeps climbing like this it's a CVT

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Guys this may sound like a stupid question.I am having a hard time figuring out the gear box in my car..I have searched and gathered the following points so far.

1- in a conventional auto gear box we can actually feel the gears are being shifted whereas in cvt you we do not feel the shift change- in my case I can feel the 1st gear shifts and I do not feel any subsequent shifts.instead RPM level goes up along with the acceleration.

2- We can identify cvt by looking at gear lever-In conventional auto gear lever contains P,R,N,D,2,1. However in cvt it’s usually P,R,N,D,S,L.- in my case it’s the latter. Also in my understanding you can not identify CVT by just looking at the gear lever- help me clarify 

Car is Demio- 2009- DBA-DE3FS- 1340cc

thanks in advance.

In CVT, the RPM climbs and stays in one place while the car accelerates. In conventional auto, you can see the RPM slightly move as the gears shift. 

On the Demio, the CVT doesn't have an S position (has button on side of gear lever for S and S/S indicator appears on dashboard when. The conventional auto does. So yours is a conventional auto. 

Example from The Demio Thread

Conventional Auto:

22mk39.jpg

CVT:

DSC00267_zpsd3i5xgyc.JPG.289297a648ed121

Edited by Davy
Added more details

17 minutes ago, Davy said:

In CVT, the RPM climbs and stays in one place while the car accelerates. In conventional auto, you can see the RPM slightly move as the gears shift. 

On the Demio, the CVT doesn't have an S position (has button on side of gear lever for S and S/S indicator appears on dashboard when. The conventional auto does. So yours is a conventional auto. 

Example from The Demio Thread

Conventional Auto:

22mk39.jpg

CVT:

DSC00267_zpsd3i5xgyc.JPG.289297a648ed121

Thanks for clarification.Much appreciated!!