• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

vitz

For potential Eclipse Cross buyers,

Please be aware about following recalls for some corrective measures before you order an eclipse cross. Looks they relate to some bugs in the ECU program.

I have decided on a Eclipse Cross, Guys, will the Unit#d Mot#rs do these ECU remapping work involved with the recall.

image.thumb.png.206d57ce6ab8ff4ae2780d0d0ed37475.pnghttp://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/support/recall/index.html

Out of all agents in Sri Lanka, I think Unit3d M0tors is one of the best when it comes to handling recalls. So yes, they will do it for free if your vehicle is affected. 

Also, vehicles affected by recalls are because an issue was identified after they've been produced. So if your car hasn't been assembled yet, it wouldn't be affected as the manufacturer would apply the necessary updates from the factory. Nevertheless, once you get the vehicle down, check with the agent. Providing your vehicle's number plate to them is all you have to do and they'll check in their system and let you know. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Davy said:

Out of all agents in Sri Lanka, I think Unit3d M0tors is one of the best when it comes to handling recalls. So yes, they will do it for free if your vehicle is affected. 

Also, vehicles affected by recalls are because an issue was identified after they've been produced. So if your car hasn't been assembled yet, it wouldn't be affected as the manufacturer would apply the necessary updates from the factory. Nevertheless, once you get the vehicle down, check with the agent. Providing your vehicle's number plate to them is all you have to do and they'll check in their system and let you know. 

Thanks. I have already ordered and about to ship to SL. It is in the affected range

7 hours ago, vitz said:

Thanks. I have already ordered and about to ship to SL. It is in the affected range

Right. In that case you should probably get it corrected by them before taking delivery of the vehicle IMO. If it's ECU software related the fix could be applied quite easily by connecting the car to their diagnostic equipment.

Did you ask about this from them to determine if they are aware of the recall? 

2 hours ago, Davy said:

Right. In that case you should probably get it corrected by them before taking delivery of the vehicle IMO. If it's ECU software related the fix could be applied quite easily by connecting the car to their diagnostic equipment.

Did you ask about this from them to determine if they are aware of the recall? 

Yes Davy, I asked them to get it done. However, I am not sure it will be possible with a de-registered vehicle. I have no idea about the process. Importer also said if could not be done, he will arrange it from UM as the first stock of UM eclipse will arrive in SL in November. 

3 minutes ago, vitz said:

Yes Davy, I asked them to get it done. However, I am not sure it will be possible with a de-registered vehicle. I have no idea about the process. Importer also said if could not be done, he will arrange it from UM as the first stock of UM eclipse will arrive in SL in November. 

Oh right. I thought yours is imported through UM. I'm actually not sure of the process of handling recalls for grey imports in Sri Lanka, but I reckon UM should still be able to find out information about your car using the chassis number.

Hi Davy,

I also ordered Eclipse and its on the way to SL. I import this not through the UM but through private agent. How can I sort out these problems? I am also in the recall range. Should I register my vehicle in the UM and get the things done from them? 

I found following three issues in my vehicle. 

Since your car was judged as the target vehicle of the following items, please look at the 
implementation status column .
number Contents Type Notification date 
(start date)
Implementation status
1 About engine control computer in Eclipse cross Service 
campa
2018/09/13
No work yet
2 About collision damage reduction brake system in four models such as Eclipse cross, Outlander PHEV Improvement measure 2018/09/13
No work yet
3 About the side slip prevention system in four models such as Eclipse cloth, Outlander PHEV recall 2018/09/13
No work yet

2 hours ago, Renu said:

Hi Davy,

I also ordered Eclipse and its on the way to SL. I import this not through the UM but through private agent. How can I sort out these problems? I am also in the recall range. Should I register my vehicle in the UM and get the things done from them? 

I found following three issues in my vehicle. 

Since your car was judged as the target vehicle of the following items, please look at the 
implementation status column .
number Contents Type Notification date 
(start date)
Implementation status
1 About engine control computer in Eclipse cross Service 
campa
2018/09/13
No work yet
2 About collision damage reduction brake system in four models such as Eclipse cross, Outlander PHEV Improvement measure 2018/09/13
No work yet
3 About the side slip prevention system in four models such as Eclipse cloth, Outlander PHEV recall 2018/09/13
No work yet

Hi, as I mentioned above, I'm not sure if UM handles recalls for grey imports (i.e vehicles brought down to SL by other parties). You should be able to call and ask them. Since UM also imports the Eclipse Cross, they should be having necessary equipment to work on the model. 

12 hours ago, Davy said:

Oh right. I thought yours is imported through UM. I'm actually not sure of the process of handling recalls for grey imports in Sri Lanka, but I reckon UM should still be able to find out information about your car using the chassis number.

Hmmm...the RAV4 needed the steering column cable replaced under a recall (only when and if it gave issues); Toyota Lanka gave the part and charged a small amount as an administrative fee. Granted our car was referred to them via Toyota Japan as we first try to directly get the part from there and fix it ourselves.

Also, I am pretty sure I saw adverts on the news papers from Stafford for some mandatory software updates for some of their cars...

So..hmm...yeah...I don't think anyone knows for certain what the process is. So best to ask ? 

Is the recall a global recall ? (i.e. effect Eclipse X for all markets ?) then the chances should be pretty good...

10 hours ago, iRage said:

Hmmm...the RAV4 needed the steering column cable replaced under a recall (only when and if it gave issues); Toyota Lanka gave the part and charged a small amount as an administrative fee. Granted our car was referred to them via Toyota Japan as we first try to directly get the part from there and fix it ourselves.

Also, I am pretty sure I saw adverts on the news papers from Stafford for some mandatory software updates for some of their cars...

So..hmm...yeah...I don't think anyone knows for certain what the process is. So best to ask ? 

Is the recall a global recall ? (i.e. effect Eclipse X for all markets ?) then the chances should be pretty good...

Thanks.  Good to see examples from different companies. 

Eclipse is coming out from one factory in Japan and has been in the outside market from last year. For the Japanese market, they released  in March 2018. It looks like Eclopse is a global model and even the language in the meter cluster can be changed from Japanese to English.

It seems the recall is not for vehicles sent to europe, Aus, and USA (upto now). Perhaps, we are too early to comment on that because the recall was released just couple of days ago.

Given, the options of the global model is quite similar to those released to the Japanese market, I am wondering why the recall is not valid for vehicles sent to the outside market. 

Not like good old days, the vehicles were little computerized machines, better to stick to an agent when importing a vehicle in these days. For me,  the long waiting period is the only reason not to import the vehicle though the agent!!!! 

Edited by vitz

On 9/16/2018 at 8:53 PM, iRage said:

Hi iRage,

Are you still in Japan. If so, thankful if you could check your message box.

On 9/17/2018 at 6:36 AM, vitz said:

Given, the options of the global model is quite similar to those released to the Japanese market, I am wondering why the recall is not valid for vehicles sent to the outside market. 

On 9/15/2018 at 9:44 PM, vitz said:

Just asking out of curiosity. How do you guys know your vehicles are subjected to these specific recalls? 
Did you search via Chassis/VIN number or just assuming by comparing manufacturing plants and dates? ? 

30 minutes ago, Jason_Bourne said:

Just asking out of curiosity. How do you guys know your vehicles are subjected to these specific recalls? 
Did you search via Chassis/VIN number or just assuming by comparing manufacturing plants and dates? ? 

Yes, Chassis Number: GK1W - XXXXX, http://recall.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/Recall/resultrecallstatus.do

• 1 month later...

My eclipse cross arrived few days ago.I am glad that the importer attended to recall modification before shipping.  It drives excellent and handles really well. 

I have a question regarding the fuel type I should use. The USA/Canada user manual recommends " image.png.4c0589b2d4b6ced283739e0125ebe58e.png 

Accordingly I can use Octane 92 petrol. However, I am not sure about the recommendation for Japanese model (I could not find Oct recommendations in the Japanese manual). I can remember Irage has mentioned that the Gasoline available in Japan meets Oct 95-98. Does it mean the vehicle has been designed for premium gasoline. Thus, requiring Oct 95!!!!

Edited by vitz

21 hours ago, vitz said:

My eclipse cross arrived few days ago.I am glad that the importer attended to recall modification before shipping.  It drives excellent and handles really well. 

I have a question regarding the fuel type I should use. The USA/Canada user manual recommends " image.png.4c0589b2d4b6ced283739e0125ebe58e.png 

Accordingly I can use Octane 92 petrol. However, I am not sure about the recommendation for Japanese model (I could not find Oct recommendations in the Japanese manual). I can remember Irage has mentioned that the Gasoline available in Japan meets Oct 95-98. Does it mean the vehicle has been designed for premium gasoline. Thus, requiring Oct 95!!!!

No..I said Hich-oku or Premium fuel in Japan ranges between 95-98. Regular can be anything from 92-95. What does it say on the fuel lid ? Premium or Regular ?

18 minutes ago, iRage said:

No..I said Hich-oku or Premium fuel in Japan ranges between 95-98. Regular can be anything from 92-95. What does it say on the fuel lid ? Premium or Regular ?

oh, I've misunderstood. Nothing mentioned on the fuel lid. Only clue I got from the Japanese user manual is :

image.png.03a0e3ed5c535179a2c3cb2e34a0b03b.png

It looks that Mitsubishi's having AS&G (Auto stop and Go) function (eg. eclipse cross) requires a special type of battery!!!!! I am wondering why!!!!

Anyways, Accidentally I got to know. 

image.png.5fbc00494237bec103ff5d8c0dba0966.png

• 1 month later...

Guys, I've done 2500 km with Eclipse Cross. Ready to comment on the vehicle in General. 

I know the first concern is the fuel consumption. Though I did not try the fuel tank topping up method, according to the vehicle information system it does 12-13 km/l long distance drive,  but of course difficult to comment on the urban drive as it depend much on the road traffic conditions. 

One annoying thing I experienced is the Front Collisions Breaking System. The pedestrian detection mechanism is quite precise and this system is not suited to our narrow roads as few instances of auto breaking caused almost knocked by tail-gating rider/3 wheel fellow. Though FCM can be switched off, it turns on again when the vehicle starts.

IMG_0076.png

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2018 at 9:50 PM, vitz said:

It looks that Mitsubishi's having AS&G (Auto stop and Go) function (eg. eclipse cross) requires a special type of battery!!!!!

Every vehicle with idle stop/start feature does... :)

Many modern cars are now fitted with Idle-Stop-Start (ISS), a technology which saves fuel & CO2 by stopping the engine when the vehicle is halted in traffic.

This technology needs a special car battery as the frequent restarts quickly damage a normal car battery.

CONVENTIONAL OR "BASIC" STOP START SYSTEMS (EFB BATTERIES)

ISS systems (sometimes called "Stop and Go", i-Stop or Micro Hybrid) come in a range of different complexities.

The basic systems tend to simply use the battery to re-start the engine once the traffic starts moving. They sense the engine temperature, cabin temperature and the electrical load on the system and if any of these are outside certain limits (e.g. the aircon is running on a hot day, or the engine is cold) then the system won't stop the engine even at standstill.

Basic ISS systems often use the EFB (wet/Flooded) type battery, which is similar to conventional start batteries in construction except upgraded to deal with the demand for multiple starts in a journey, and hence designed to cope with a "deeper cycle" than a normal battery.

A deep cycle is where the battery loses power to starting multiple times, and hence cycles deeply into its reserve capacity as it is not constantly being replenished by the alternator as it would be on a car without ISS.

This requirement to deal with starting the car when only having "partial charge" is a major design challenge. The EFB design has porous fibre materials and thicker plates. Special low pressure contact materials on the battery plates allows better retention of the active material and guards against plate growth. The plate design is also enhanced, giving up to twice the normal cycling endurance versus a conventional car battery and up to 15% more cranking power.

ADVANCED STOP START SYSTEMS (AGM BATTERIES).

More advanced ISS Systems often incorporate Regenerative Braking (capturing power by turning the kinetic braking energy into electrical power stored in the battery or a capacitor). They can often demand more power from the battery to run electrical loads or to provide an active power boost for the vehicle.

These advanced systems need to quickly re-charge the battery in bursts, needing very high rates of charge acceptance (ie. very low internal resistance). AGM batteries use a fibreglass mat to absorb the electrolyte (acid) and hold it in high compression against the plates, providing very low resistance and the ability to cycle at least three times better than conventional batteries.

As AGM batteries are "dry sealed", they can be placed inside the boot or the cabin and will not gas-off under normal conditions. They incorporate a low pressure valve which vents to protect the battery from rupture in the case of fault or over-charging. For this reason they are sometimes also called VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid).

Source

Edited by Hyaenidae

2 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Thanks for the review!!! 

So did you get the recall issue fixed?

Yes, it was fixed before shipping. Mitsubishi Website Provides an update about the status of the Vehicle....image.png.e770a3df2a857cd9cd0c8591f0e7e6e5.png

Edited by vitz

2 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Every vehicle with idle stop/start feature does... :)

Thanks. Are these batteries available in the local market? However, for our Fit GP1, the Exide served the purpose. Perhaps, hybrid battery back up the start not needing the high capacity battery!!!!

Edited by vitz