• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Scammed by a vehicle rental service – do not over trust online sales

vitz

Thought of sharing my experience for the benefit of others (Don’t try to make fun out of the mistake that I will never repeat)

I wanted to hire a vehicle for very short term. As usual to many of us, my first option was to use online search and find a suitable service provider. Went thorough the ikxxx.lk and found out a service provider whose rate is somewhat okay with my budget.

So, I contacted the person and he explained me the rental conditions and options available. I inquired about the further information of the business and he provided me the business registration details, copy of identity card. Since I was pretty busy with my work routine and wanted a vehicle urgently, I agreed his option to home deliver the vehicle. After building the trust to some extent, he insisted me an advance of Rs. 20,000 to initiate the deal. As the information provided did not look fake and I wanted a vehicle in very urgently, I deposited the money. Even after the deposit, the person was in contact with me and assured the vehicle was dispatched from Negombo. 

However, after couple of hours, he stopped responding to my phone call and then I realized I was cheated by the person. Anyways, I lost Rs. 20,000.00 that don’t care much, but the fact that I was cheated by an idiot caused me quite a discomfort. Finally, I lodged a complaint at the Police though not expecting my money back but to bring the culprit to the justice. 
I can share the business details and identity of the person if it is not a violation of website rules.  

The bottom line is : do not pay any advance before meeting a service provider personally and before obtaining the service.

Edited by vitz
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if you can post this on the forum (details etc) but you can try the consumers facebook page where folk usually post this kind of stuff. Nevertheless don't let it go unnoticed. Is the ad still there on i**** ? if so report it to them as well. Yeah it was stupid but what the heck we all do stupid things time to time. Since you learned your lesson do your best to make sure the culprit is at the receiving end. Name and shame him. Make max use of social media.  

Yea Mat.... The guy has removed the add. I informed the I*** too.  He will come up with a another phone number and with a totally different approach.

Good to learn life long lessons sometimes with at least a bearable cost before it becomes an unrecoverable loss.  ?

By the way his phone number is still working......but he does not pick up the phone though tried through different numbers

Edited by vitz

I guess police will try to track him down using the bank account information he provided you. But yeah, transferring money to people with whom you've just had a chat with is never a good idea.

Something similar happened to a friend of mine many years ago where he had the rental vehicle delivered to his home. He had told the guy over the phone that he is renting the van to go on a 3 day trip to Anuradhapura. Upon his return, his home was totally ransacked in broad daylight. The crooks came in, took their time and had gone through the entire house. When police did their investigation, it was traced back the guy who delivered the van.

So either go pick the vehicle yourself (gives you the chance to pay and collect without transferring), and don't reveal too much information about trips you'll be planning on doing in the vehicle.

• Like 3

I doubt whether police will take a quick action. Even today morning the phone of the fraudster was switched on. I called the police, but according to them, person cannot be traced without taking a court order. These people make use of the loopholes of our legal system to survive. 

Have to bear...... This is wonderful Sri Lanka.......