• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

CHR 1200cc colombo city Fuel consumption per liter

kosaladissa

2 hours ago, TheFlyingFox said:

Yes but the CHR achieves this through a “turbocharger” which is not efficient while on boost ! There efficiency curve of a NA engine will be close while the turbo engine will vary a lot ! These small engine turbos boost on low rpm not like those days where you get a sudden burst of power at around 4000RPM. 

It's not simple as that, turbo engines and bigger engines drink more fuel is a false idea that's been around in Sri Lanka for a while.

Let me give you a better example than CHR vs Premio example.

The 200 series Hiace with 3000cc variable nozzle turbo(1KD-FTV) mated to an automatic gearbox does equally good in fuel as a 100 series Hiace with a same size engine(5L) but without a turbo.

It's the same story if you compared KDH vans with 2500cc(which has a standard turbo instead of a variable nozzle turbo) and 3000cc.

The reason why these engines are able to achieve decent fuel economy even with a variable nozzle turbo or having a bigger engine capacity is I believe due to better fuel injection or fuel burning technology( that is less fuel is being wasted).

Mind you a variable nozzle turbo can kick in more and quicker than a regular turbo.

As iRage already mentioned the Premio in question here is powered by the 1NZ-FE engine which still rocks the old VVT-I technology where as Toyota has moved on from this to Dual VVT-I and Valvematic. 

In the past the major problem with turbo engines was reliability, older turbo engines didn't have proper intercooler or had no intercooler which caused the engines to develop problems quicker than a naturally aspirated engines. Furthermore, the turbo units itself didn't have proper cooling as they do now.

However, I partly agree with you, if you load up the CH-R to the max it would most likely sit on the turbo the whole time which would reduce it's fuel economy but at the same time it would be a similar story with the Premio as well, as it would stay mostly in the high revs.

Also, I do agree with you that the influx of these new small capacity engines could be related strict emission standards.

Edited by Magnum

@ Magnum ,  I assume the KDH vans you are talking about are diesel. The efficiency of a turbo diesel engine is much more different to a petrol. A diesel vehicles RPM range is very low , less air intake to the engine. A diesel engines works with pressure and the air inside the chambers has to be pressured. What a turbo does in this case is provide more "air flow" to the engine for it to work harder while maintaining efficiency. Almost all the diesel cars/vans etc you find today are turbocharged where as the petrol engines are still dominated with naturally aspirated units. Why? 

A Petrol is quite different, Their RPM range is much longer than diesel and their power delivery is limited, A diesel will have most of its power from the start to the end where as the petrol its higher as you rev. A petrol turbo will flow "more air pressure" to the chambers. On top of this a petrol will have to rev much faster than a diesel resulting in the turbo spinning a lot faster to give that pressure for it to work hard. There is also the fact that Petrol ignites faster , Put all of this together and fuel efficiency on a turbo petrol while on boost is very bad. You give me a good example of a efficient petrol turbo scenario I would love to hear about it. 

I have personal experience on this without all the technicality. Long time ago I had a 1999 Audi A4 turbo diesel. That car even when trashed would return around 10 in Colombo. Gentle driving it would do around 12. I once did a trip to trinco and back it averaged around 17-18. Although I didn't own one, I had an experience with a Petrol version of the same car, 1.8T. Guess what, when I thrashed it I barely got 4, gentle driving it would return around 6.5, 7 if I was lucky.

A petrol turbo car and a diesel turbo is not a fair comparison.

I hope this answers your question of the CHR and premio in high revs.  (at these high revs, say 5000RPM. The engine in the CHR is forcefully pushing high pressured (extremely hot) air into the cylinder chamber. While the engine in the premio is pulling much cooler natural air without any force. Which do you think will use more fuel ? 

Edited by TheFlyingFox

19 hours ago, iRage said:

If you are in Japan you would realize that the Allion/Premio is not a very popular car (I swear you see more Allions/Premios in Colombo than in Japan),

I've always wondered why the 260 has great ground-clearance compared to other JDM . It's kind of like a car made with SL buyers in mind except it wasnt ? . 

7 hours ago, iRage said:

keep up with the local "trend" then go for an Allion/Premio.

Just to add to this 'trend'  - this is a bit of a new development i've noticed there are bucket-loads of 260s (allion/premio) for sale stagnating for weeks so maybe people are slowly breaking away from the trend. TBH there are dozens of people who advised me to buy a a 260 series  ( I know they meant well ) and I actually tested out a few out of curiosity- yes it was sort of comfortable in a very furniture-like way I don't know how to put this but I can't help but think of the  "Burutha Almariya" folks get for the dowry or a well cushioned couch. 

Let me put it this way - If the premio were a woman she'd be a bit overweight, wear no make up, do all the household chores . She'd be a moderate cook and be able to cook rice and curry and nothing else. Your parent's will be happy and your great-aunt will call her a siriyawantha kella. A Kapuwa probably sourced her for you. In bed she'd just lie down and let you have your own way. Your conversations will be just gossip and what happened next door. Convenient marriage but no spark to it. 

7 hours ago, hrm said:

let me know  how  Primeo    giya durak 

3 hours ago, Quiet said:

really hope OP is still here ?

i doubt it ...chances are he probably forgot his username and password ...maybe in a few months time he'll create a new account to ask ' My primeyo do 10 KMPL friend say he premio do 27. What is wrong with car?' 

Edited by matroska
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, matroska said:

Let me put it this way - If the premio were a woman she'd be a bit overweight, wear no make up, do all the household chores . She'd be a moderate cook and be able to cook rice and curry and nothing else. Your parent's will be happy and your great-aunt will call her a siriyawantha kella. A Kapuwa probably sourced her for you. In bed she'd just lie down and let you have your own way. Your conversations will be just gossip and what happened next door. Convenient marriage but no spark to it.

Very well put together :D

Apparently except for a selected few, " kmpl bragging and english plates, gold badges, interior color, etc...all focused on feeling good about impressing the neighbors " another way one might say "Morons" or "Stupid People" buy this type of car

4 hours ago, matroska said:

?

Just to add to this 'trend'  - this is a bit of a new development i've noticed there are bucket-loads of 260s (allion/premio) for sale stagnating for weeks so maybe people are slowly breaking away from the trend. TBH there are dozens of people who advised me to buy a a 260 series  ( I know they meant well ) and I actually tested out a few out of curiosity- yes it was sort of comfortable in a very furniture-like way I don't know how to put this but I can't help but think of the  "Burutha Almariya" folks get for the dowry or a well cushioned couch.

:D  It was. It all depends on what you really expect from the car. For a guy like me upgrading from a Vitz it's good in every aspect as still my fuel bills are same as Vitz with added space and some comfort for a small family . For some reason I do feel it's faster than Vitz 1.3 :P . It does have pretty good low end torque . It doesn't have a feel what so ever but Vitz was no different to that. So if you come from Lancers/Fits/Civics it's a whole different story. People who need at least a tiny bit of driving fun should look at 1.8 valvematic version or just run away from 260.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, hrm said:

:D  It was. It all depends on what you really expect from the car. For a guy like me upgrading from a Vitz it's good in every aspect as still my fuel bills are same as Vitz with added space and some comfort for a small family . For some reason I do feel it's faster than Vitz 1.3 :P . It does have pretty good low end torque . It doesn't have a feel what so ever but Vitz was no different to that. So if you come from Lancers/Fits/Civics it's a whole different story. People who need at least a tiny bit of driving fun should look at 1.8 valvematic version or just run away from 260.

exactly machan - it's not a bad car it depends on requirements and priorities and what stage of life you're in - i mean if you have kids and a car that gets your family from A-B in relative comfort then yes it' s a decent  choice. For instance I was building a house for the last couple  years and during that period i had a Honda Fit hybrid that was relatively budget-friendly and thanks to it's seat configuration it was very useful when I was moving house allowed me to carry even small tables and couches, washing machines, TV's ovens etc.  Now since that episode is over it's time to move on to something else. Likewise horses for courses. And as you said in a previous post it's the generic stereotypical  drivers of the cars , bragging about fake fuel figures etc that are the problem and not the cars themselves :D 

Edited by matroska
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...