• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Am I being cheated - real Defender 90 or not?

Zinger

Question

Hi Guys,

So I recently saw an ad for a 1980 Land Rover "Defender 90" (31 DASH), or at least the seller claims its a Defender 90. Based on his listing, it's got a TD 27 Engine / Auto transmission.

I've posted some pics below. What do you guys think? 

Thank you so much for your help! Much appreciated.   

40626176_10210263200171057_7485244917292204032_o.jpg

40835819_10210263200451064_8213462081232437248_o.jpg

40591351_10210263199891050_1132665906262966272_o.jpg

20 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Zinger said:

Hi Matroska,

This is what the RMV Website came up with. What do you think?

Screenshot 2018-09-11 12.40.55.png

Looks like they've spent more money on fixing up the book via DMT rather than on the vehicle lol. ?

Even a noob about land rovers would know the defender name was not even introduced in the 80s. Would have looked legit if they fixed it to be land rover 90 or 110 which they were badged as at the time and that was how the bookes were printed. But this series 3 should have been just land rover for make and a "-" for model. Some genius decided to fill the gap and alter the book.

STF vehicles bearing reg nos 32-23xx just had the tag Land rover but they were real 90 soft tops those were the first 90s that came in to the island With YOM 1985. Some are still in service. The First 110 was released in 1984, first 90 in 1985

Even defenders from 1992 don't have books bearing the name DEFENDER, just Land rover 110 or 90.

If the book is your target. You can't use this reg on a defender on a legit basis . A known cop will take you in as its a 31 Sri. Mind you cops know about these vehicles as most were ex police army etc. Unless u change it to a E series number but still there are many holes you can get trapped into the law with this. Given all the spending and the condition the thing is in. You might be able to buy a real defender 90 or a much more reliable pajero. Mitsubishi jeep etc. For that money. Or a properly done up puma or near for around 6mil.

If you think owning a defender and hooting about can kinda give you that macho political big shot aura in town. Sadly that era has passed and now they get copped in and out. No one cares. Believe me I owned a legit one few years ago in army green and had a past time of living with mechanics and paying cop fines.

Edited by tiv

This is not a Defender 90, a lookalike made from bits of various cars. I suggest you do a thorough research on the matter prior to a purchase as this thing looks nowhere near a Defender and even a newbie could have spotted it. The front grille box, door handles all look locally built. Failed poor attempt of a series 3 conversion. There were no 31 sri defenders. If you aren't an enthusiast and just looking for show or utilitarian use, Land Rovers of this era not for you. Please read up and ask about. Save yourself the trouble 

Edited by tiv
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Zinger said:

Hi Guys,

So I recently saw an ad for a 1980 Land Rover "Defender 90" (31 DASH), or at least the seller claims its a Defender 90. Based on his listing, it's got a TD 27 Engine / Auto transmission.

Warning : Bubble burster !!

This is a pre defender , series3 88 inch,..with some defender bits.

Ask the seller from Honest Edd's where the front wipers have gone on holiday to??

The DEF90 had coil springs all round. The  Defender was on the drawing board in1980 !

Edited by Twin Turbo

Though I own a J44 (Mitsubishi) now, DEF90 are much more comfortable with it's coil spring suspension if I am not mistaken. 

All I can say is, it's better to buy a same Jap brand jeep than spending all money on Diffenders selling at cheaper prices. 

These vehicles do need attention to detail if anyone willing to travel across the country and for my experience most of those are being served as second vehicle and kept away from expensive repairs. 

Look for a better maintained and repaired for a reasonable price no matter the number plate is. Body/Interior/Chassis/Engine should be maintained well.

Or else you buy just a chassis and rebuilt one from the bottom which will cost you more but ended up with a better vehicle and you will know about all the nuts and bolts of the vehicle. 

The fever of "Defender" is very dangerous these days. :) 

Hunt more, inspect / drive and see. Believe me, I look 17 vehicles and all gave me different different problems to think of.

Good luck. 

I'm not an expert on european vehicles but even I can tell thats not a Defender 90 or a Defender at all. It looks like on of those Land Rover models which came out prior to the Defender badge being introduced.

Probably a Land Rover series III as Tiv mentioned.

13 hours ago, Zinger said:

Hi Guys,

did you check with the RMV website using the info what this number is actually registered as. I'm no expert on this but this doesn't add up - this screams out frankenstein. 

4 minutes ago, matroska said:

did you check with the RMV website using the info what this number is actually registered as. I'm no expert on this but this doesn't add up - this screams out frankenstein. 

Hi Matroska,

8 minutes ago, Zinger said:

Hi Matroska,

Well for one it's running an 80's Nissan Caravan Engine.

RMV can be a bit liberal in naming their 'Models' Though it says Defender If i'm not  mistaken the Defender 90 Series started in 1982 or 1983. This could probably be a 1980 Series 3 fitted with a Nissan Engine (which is a common replacement for Series 3 in SL) and underwent many changes over the years including the front grille and other bits and pieces. In reality even if this car could talk it would not be able to tell what it exactly is unfortunately. 

On 9/11/2018 at 5:56 PM, tiv said:

Looks like they've spent more money on fixing up the book via DMT rather than on the vehicle lol. ?

Even a noob about land rovers would know the defender name was not even introduced in the 80s. Would have looked legit if they fixed it to be land rover 90 or 110 which they were badged as at the time and that was how the bookes were printed. But this series 3 should have been just land rover for make and a "-" for model. Some genius decided to fill the gap and alter the book.

STF vehicles bearing reg nos 32-23xx just had the tag Land rover but they were real 90 soft tops those were the first 90s that came in to the island With YOM 1985. Some are still in service. The First 110 was released in 1984, first 90 in 1985

Even defenders from 1992 don't have books bearing the name DEFENDER, just Land rover 110 or 90.

If the book is your target. You can't use this reg on a defender on a legit basis . A known cop will take you in as its a 31 Sri. Mind you cops know about these vehicles as most were ex police army etc. Unless u change it to a E series number but still there are many holes you can get trapped into the law with this. Given all the spending and the condition the thing is in. You might be able to buy a real defender 90 or a much more reliable pajero. Mitsubishi jeep etc. For that money. Or a properly done up puma or near for around 6mil.

If you think owning a defender and hooting about can kinda give you that macho political big shot aura in town. Sadly that era has passed and now they get copped in and out. No one cares. Believe me I owned a legit one few years ago in army green and had a past time of living with mechanics and paying cop fines.

I had a defender 90 32-4548 , sadly my dad sold it without my permission I am trying to look for it , hope there’s a way of getting

28 minutes ago, Saad said:

I had a defender 90 32-4548 , sadly my dad sold it without my permission I am trying to look for it , hope there’s a way of getting

Get an extract from DMT, i think this 90 is in kandy now, faintly remember the number

5 hours ago, tiv said:

Get an extract from DMT, i think this 90 is in kandy now, faintly remember the number

Thanks tv , I don’t have any documents only the number offcourse all 90s start with 45 , my dad bought it from indika but can’t remember day the vehicle never gave problems frequent for its oil problems and clutch issues event caught fire , but as host from wheeler dealer said defender is by far the most bosoeat vehicle and the hardest to drive but it sure as hell gives you a different world of motoring !

13 hours ago, Saad said:

Thanks tv , I don’t have any documents only the number offcourse all 90s start with 45 , my dad bought it from indika but can’t remember day the vehicle never gave problems frequent for its oil problems and clutch issues event caught fire , but as host from wheeler dealer said defender is by far the most bosoeat vehicle and the hardest to drive but it sure as hell gives you a different world of motoring !

They are extremely unreliable if not restored well, if not taken care of well or if you are unlucky,

The govt. and the privileged get them brand new so they can take a few years beating at that level. 

Also a bit behind in tech, safety and capabilities in the 2020s, even in comparison with the crap we are forced to use in Sri Lanka. 

Hence why I sold mine as well on the long run. 

Unless you get a brand new one, or restore one to brand new and decide to live in the jungle, they just don't make sense.

1 hour ago, tiv said:

They are extremely unreliable if not restored well, if not taken care of well or if you are unlucky,

The govt. and the privileged get them brand new so they can take a few years beating at that level. 

Also a bit behind in tech, safety and capabilities in the 2020s, even in comparison with the crap we are forced to use in Sri Lanka. 

Hence why I sold mine as well on the long run. 

Unless you get a brand new one, or restore one to brand new and decide to live in the jungle, they just don't make sense.

2B5CE061-952C-4F93-BB47-F30BFF2BD763.jpeg