• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Second market value for Toyota cars made in Thailand

Liberty

@ iRage

First, it is clear that you have much more experience with cars from the posts that you have shared, Maybe you were not clear as to why i said the ford needed shocks at 45k, It was a direct response to " models are manufactured for developing markets with the presumption than things like road and usage conditions would be harsh so the materials used are harder and things like suspension would be higher and harder...but not the build quality itself. " This is not true, if they did take into consideration things like road conditions i might have not had to replace the shocks. The car is just a strip down version of the European model with lover quality materials (There is no other difference like different suspension systems for Sri Lanka). I was just trying to make a point and not complain, I quite enjoyed the car and the agents didn't charge anything for the replacements.

Now this is in line with Crosswinds Cat theory. You said that the Nissan FB 14 is a "POS" and also agree that our people crave for it. Sri Lanka population is like 21 million, Say 5% of that are using cars. The vast majority think the FB 14 is a good car and still exchange hands, a mare 1000 members in a online forum think otherwise (That its a POS). In other words the vast majority of people are "Idiots" who don't know squat on cars ? There is a good reason why people pay close to 1.8 Million for a good FB14. Guess in your eyes, they are fools.

Again, no offense to anyone, This is a online forum where people exchange ideas :)

29 minutes ago, TheFlyingFox said:

Now this is in line with Crosswinds Cat theory. You said that the Nissan FB 14 is a "POS" and also agree that our people crave for it. Sri Lanka population is like 21 million, Say 5% of that are using cars. The vast majority think the FB 14 is a good car and still exchange hands, a mare 1000 members in a online forum think otherwise (That its a POS). In other words the vast majority of people are "Idiots" who don't know squat on cars ? There is a good reason why people pay close to 1.8 Million for a good FB14. Guess in your eyes, they are fools.

Again, no offense to anyone, This is a online forum where people exchange ideas :)

Actually you are correct. FB14 was actually a disaster and a shame to be called a car. Ask any guy who used an FB14. It has too many problems - overheating and bad fuel economy are just to name a couple. 

The vast majority of people think FB14 is a good car, because they are idiots. That's why I said that the Sri Lankan vehicle market is counter-intuitive.

• Like 2

Guys.....?. Everybody has right to express their ideas in this democratic country.....? (At least some politicians may believe this statement.....). Anyway, I am going to tell my viewpoint even if you don't like....?. FB14 actually came with GA15DE engine and rarely GA16DE engine to Lanka. This was shared among Nissan Wingroad and other few vehicles of that period. GA15DE is a solid and smooth engine - far better than some Toyota engines of that period. Anyway Nissans cars maintenance process is very different from Toyotas. The Nissan car enthusiasts only know how to manage a Nissan....?.

Yeah well This is Sri Lanka. We get paid in LKR not in USD. A used vehicle in the UK which costs 1000 pounds will cost around 2 million here. These days we pay close to Rs.165/= for 1 USD and close to 1.50 for a yen. 90-95% of the people excluding the politicians are from the poor-middle class. Our vehicles are precious to us as the public transport system is so bad. They make a big impact in our lives are like our right hand in day to day life.  So for the poor-middle class people , like me would like to give our hard earned money and buy the best possible vehicle. ,use it well and get the best possible figure when selling it in the future to get another one. This is why most of our people's "resale value"' comes into play and i cannot fault it. We might get increments yearly or other possible incomes but it will still be in LKR which depreciates as i type this and the foreign currency climbs up. Even a little gain when reselling the vehicle means a lot hence the thinking on Thailand built , Indian, fuel consumption (Its now 163 for 95 octane lol)  etc etc. If people had deep pockets, they would love to buy something like an Audi for 20 million and sell it off at 10 million in the future taking a 50% hit. But for normal people we are looking at the most minimal hit when it comes to reselling.

Now this wont matter to the OP (Regardless of society status) as the vehicle is purchased with a permit.

That was my take on it :) Cheers ! Peace everyone !

Edited by TheFlyingFox
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, TheFlyingFox said:

The vast majority think the FB 14 is a good car and still exchange hands, a mare 1000 members in a online forum think otherwise (That its a POS). In other words the vast majority of people are "Idiots" who don't know squat on cars ? There is a good reason why people pay close to 1.8 Million for a good FB14. Guess in your eyes, they are fools.

Being an owner of a FB14 almost a decade ago i would always ask any person to stick with the mere 1000 idiots in this forum (including me) and stay away from it instead of following the majority of intellectuals who fantasize about the FB14.  

Fed up of repeating my horror story on and on in this forum. Anybody who wish to know can refer the below link.

http://autolanka.com/forums/topic/15880-best-sedan-car-for-13-lks/#comment-257891

36 minutes ago, LashNeo said:

Being an owner of a FB14 almost a decade ago i would always ask any person to stick with the mere 1000 idiots in this forum (including me) and stay away from it instead of following the majority of intellectuals who fantasize about the FB14.  

Fed up of repeating my horror story on and on in this forum. Anybody who wish to know can refer the below link.

http://autolanka.com/forums/topic/15880-best-sedan-car-for-13-lks/#comment-257891

A decade ago meaning the car was already around 10 years older or more. Might have clocked 70-100k when you bought it ? After that mileage isn't most of that work common wear and tear of a car , except say for the tranny and oil leaks. I don't know maybe you might have got a lemon, just like you some people have positive things to say about that particular car. "A mare 1000 peoples" experience doesn't outweigh  the majority experience which we even don't know. This is also not considering the how well the previous owner/owners maintained the car. 

for example on previous owner maintenance, I once had a Peugeot 307 which is acknowledged around the world as a very unreliable car (The Nissan is no where near compared to that). During my ownership, one day the engine caught fire. Reason being the previous owner had  pasted a cheap foil under the bonnet to prevent heat, apparently bits and pieces had fallen down slowly and to the alternator when it was hot. The bits and prices ignited a fire and the compartment caught fire. Is this a fault of the car, NO. 

1 hour ago, LashNeo said:

stay away from it instead of following the majority of intellectuals who fantasize about the FB14.

I'm surprised at the number of horror stories I heard on this forum on the (F)B14 frankly :D . This is a bit OT but still it's about cars  - We had this B14 (yeah the 1.3 L one) with us for a decade (2004-2015) it was an auto-tranny coupled with a feeble 1.3 L engine.  it was the first car I drove after getting my licence and  after 10 years it becomes part of your family - like an old retarded dog that you love cos it has been with you for so long despite being a really dumb dog that cant fetch a stick. 

But it was a horrible thing to drive due to it being such an unresponsive,slow lump. Plus it guzzled fuel like a V6. However my dad maintained it immaculately (like he did all his previous cars) for the whole 10 years it gave us only one horror - and a big one at that by stalling mid road due to a faulty alternator. Apart from that it was a decade of boring but trouble free motoring. What I found interesting was at one point we had both a 2005 kelisa (pure joy to drive) and this - while the kelisa's interior bits started to become rattly (an AC vent came off) the Sluggard old sunnys interior was immaculate even after almost 2 decades.  i guess due to the sunnys and corollas being so abusable - the el-cheapos abuse it to the max and as a result the next guy who buys it has to bear the brunt . Neither the B14, B15 or AE110 are cars to fantasize about. But hey in a country where you have Facebook pages dedicated to tin-can indian shit lorries disguised as buses and some semi-literate peasants naming them 'Dam Rajini', 'Nil Rajini' ,'Boga Rajini' etc and posting videos of some inbred weed-smoker doing donuts in it, no wonder FB14's become 'Supiri wahana....patta mchn, ganin, pol thel dalath duwanawa' 

P.S : The vast majority are Idiots actually - take a look at a congested road on a given day. Look at FB and see the absolute idiotic stuff they post. Sri Lanka is a land of semi-literate gullible gorillas. 

Edited by matroska
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, tilvin said:

Anyway Nissans cars maintenance process is very different from Toyotas. The Nissan car enthusiasts only know how to manage a Nissan....?.

Actually..no...the Sunny was a whole different horror compared to other Nissans which were much nicer to own and maintain. In our case, every single damn thing broke except the engine block....and yes..it was maintained well...perhaps that was the issue...we should have turned a blind eye to everything. the B14 series Sunny was just a black mark for Nissan even when compared against other Nissans from the era.

2 hours ago, matroska said:

an old retarded dog that you love cos it has been with you for so long despite being a really dumb dog that cant fetch a stick. 

P.S : The vast majority are Idiots actually - take a look at a congested road on a given day. Look at FB and see the absolute idiotic stuff they post. Sri Lanka is a land of semi-literate gullible gorillas. 

Best description of a B14 Sunny I have ever come across :D

I think the bottom line is...yes..there was a time when Thailand built cars were not that good. But things have changed considerably, yet there are still hits and misses depending on the manufacturer and model (irrespective of where it was manufactured in as well).

The Yaris Ativ is new to Sri Lanka and no one knows how it will fair. The Yaris (the Asian hatchback version) is quite popular here in Vietnam and that is a decently well put together car. Since the Ativ is also a variant of the Vios and the Vios has been pretty decent, the Ativ should also be pretty decent. Again, this is pure speculation and inferences as the car is not that common in SL.

Finally, resale value...well...the second hand car market in SL is counter-intuitive and is based on complete and utter non-sensible rubbish. 

This B**l S**t applies only to Toyota i suppose, does anybody cares where the Euro brands are manufactured

BMWs from USA, South Africa, India

Audis from Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Mexico

Mercs from USA, South Africa, India for all i know only fraction of the vehicles are made in Germany

New CRV and Civic is manufactured in Thailand and it has not stopped people queuing and buying them like mad, now the same model is introduced in Japan and our morons are trying to buy the same car at a premium thinking it is made in Japan. As far as i know it will be the hybrid that will be assembled in Japan not the 1.5 L

1 hour ago, kush said:

This B**l S**t applies only to Toyota i suppose, does anybody cares where the Euro brands are manufactured

BMWs from USA, South Africa, India

Audis from Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Mexico

Mercs from USA, South Africa, India for all i know only fraction of the vehicles are made in Germany

New CRV and Civic is manufactured in Thailand and it has not stopped people queuing and buying them like mad, now the same model is introduced in Japan and our morons are trying to buy the same car at a premium thinking it is made in Japan. As far as i know it will be the hybrid that will be assembled in Japan not the 1.5 L

Yes...the whole Made in <outside of Japan> = crap is just myths created by our car mudalalis. There was a time when it was bad but those days have gone by since a long long time ago

As for the CR-V...the Asian/Close-by-Export market one is manufactured in Thailand and Indonesia, but last time I checked Honda was going to manufacture the new one in Japan as well (specifically for the Japanese market)

Edited by iRage

12 hours ago, iRage said:

As for the CR-V...the Asian/Close-by-Export market one is manufactured in Thailand and Indonesia, but last time I checked Honda was going to manufacture the new one in Japan as well (specifically for the Japanese market)

I thought only the hybrid and not the 1.5L

The term "Made in Japan" only means "Assembled in Japan", and I think most people think "Made in Japan" means that absolutely everything on the car is manufactured in Japan from scratch. Most if not all Japanese car makers actually use parts manufactured outside of Japan (Thailand, Taiwan, South Korea, airbag impact sensor from Sri Lanka apparently :) etc.) due to lower costs.

If you take apart a Japanese car that was assembled in Japan within the past 10 years, you'd notice how many parts have a "Made in <some other country>" printed on them. So this has been happening for quite some time now and is increasing by the day. Gone are the days where "Made in Japan" was an actual thing. 

So cars that are "Made in Thailand" are just assembled there. Sure, the sheet metal is stamped there, bodywork is completed there, but components like electrics, rubber bits and stuff come from the same set of companies that provide them for cars "made" in Japan. 

• Like 2

On 9/11/2018 at 5:23 PM, TheFlyingFox said:

@ iRage

First, it is clear that you have much more experience with cars from the posts that you have shared, Maybe you were not clear as to why i said the ford needed shocks at 45k, It was a direct response to " models are manufactured for developing markets with the presumption than things like road and usage conditions would be harsh so the materials used are harder and things like suspension would be higher and harder...but not the build quality itself. " This is not true, if they did take into consideration things like road conditions i might have not had to replace the shocks. The car is just a strip down version of the European model with lover quality materials (There is no other difference like different suspension systems for Sri Lanka). I was just trying to make a point and not complain, I quite enjoyed the car and the agents didn't charge anything for the replacements.

No I don't think people pay exuberant prices on cars just because the cars are "Poss". It is the system that make people squeeze bucks out in millions in order to purchase even a 20 year old trap.