• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Second market value for Toyota cars made in Thailand

Liberty

I'm deciding on whether to buy a Toyota Yaris Ativ from Toyota Lanka, Where the made is stated as Thailand. The car in question is superb and is barely within my budget. But after talking to a few, some feel like the second market value for Thailand made vehicles are low. Also in addition to that, I'm hoping to use this vehicle for almost 10 years. Do people really decide the second market value by the vehicle brand or the country which was made in? Would love to get some opinions regarding this.

biggest concern would be to find reconditioned engine and body parts f cheap,like you get with Japanese market models. No issue if you plan to do maintenance and accident repairs with brand new parts. But I heard there are some places that import unpainted body parts from middle east,Singapore now.

This whole thing about Thailand, Vietnam, etc... built Japanese vehicles being bad quality is a thing of the past and almost nothing but an urban myth.

Depending on the model in question, it might lack a certain bit of refinement when it comes to things like seat materials, switch plastics used etc...other than that build quality wise they are pretty good. In fact these days even some of the Japanese market vehicles are manufactured in Thailand and some components in Japan assembled vehicles come from Thailand.Two reasons why this "notion" about Thai cars exist:

1. Fairy tales woven by car salesmen. They yarn all kinds of stories to sell the junk stock they bring down form Japan. However, when it comes to selling models they bring from Thailand (like the Hilux); the Thai model is THE best. Even if it is the same Thai/India manufactured car sold in Japan and Thailand the Japan one magically becomes better than the Thai/India market one (even claims that the Japan one was manufactured in Japan...when it says the car was manufactured in Thailand...so..go figure)

2. Thanks to the above tales, owners of Japanese market models believe and insist on selling their car for more than what they bought it for....

If the car suits you, if you like it, if it comes with a decent service package (not that you would get one from any other car salesman); then buy it. Enjoy it...and when the time comes..sell it at a reasonable price remembering that cars are depreciating assets. I have yet to come across a car that has not been able to be sold. take care of it and ask for a reasonable price you will get it sold off. At the end of the day...cars like the Vios, Soluna, Corolla 141, etc...do get sold at reasonable prices provided that they have been taken care of.

The only issue is...the Ativ is a new model to the SL market. Like ajm mentioned the issue would be things like access to cheap body parts as there would not be many used body parts for sale. But there are plenty of rare cars on SL roads and people always find ways to keep them running and fixing them. Also,

Most of the cars sold in Japan are manufactured out side Japan

Even the cars assembled in Japan parts are from out side mostly Thailand, China, Taiwan, India etc..

Some are misled by the vehicle importers that the vehicles are manufactured in Japan but they are in fact vehicles manufactured out side for Japanese market.

Toyota Thailand makes quality vehicles i have not noticed any difference in the quality of Japanese assembled and Thailand manufactured taking with my personal experience on the Corolla 141 which initially came from Japan and subsequently Thailand.

Features of the car will differ as they are customized for a particular market to meet regulation and customer preferences.

From my personal experience, Japanese or any other brand such as Ford who outsources the manufacturing process to another country say Thailand, India etc, The vehicles are a tad lower in quality, outside and inside. One can clearly see the fit and finish of one of these vehicles and a vehicle manufactured in Japan. For example the Toyota Wigo, There is a clear difference between this and a similar pixis when it comes to fit and finish.  Don't take my word, go to the Toyota showroom and see the Wigo, then go to a mudalali car sale and see a Pixis, Vitz or any similar sized vehicle. We have a Ford Eco Sport which is made in India and prior to that a Fiesta which was made in Thailand. There are some un-even interior finish on the Eco Sport, Rattles starts at 50k mileage, while the Thailand Made Fiesta was of better quality it sill didn't have the fit and finish of the European made Focus. EcoSport , Fiesta models manufactured in Europe will have a clear difference in quality. 

Why they outsource may be due to cheap labor and it kinda shows inside and outside, Engines and trannies cannot be faulted though.  

• Like 1

First of all, you guys need to understand very clearly that build quality has no relevance to resale value. Altos made in India have far better resale value compared to Camrys made in Japan.

Only thing that matters is market perception or the collective IQ level of the vehicle buying public in Sri Lanka. As more and more people join in to buy cars, the collective IQ level actually goes down, defying logic and laws of mathematics. Its like 1+1 = 2 but 1+1+1 = 1.5 and 1+1+1+1 = 1.25

Just like any other prole who buys cars, OP is concerned about the resale value, not build quality or spares availability or more importantly, safety.

All Yarises that ever came to Sri Lanka were made in Thailand. Historically they have sold like hotcakes in the second hand market so I don't see problem there. 

• Like 1

@ Crosswind, IMHO things like "build quality" "Spare parts availability" "Prices of spare parts" "Fuel consumption" "Maka bas garage friendly" are the key factors contributing to resale value in Sri Lanka. You should compare an Indian Alto and a Japanese Alto. Not something like a Camry which is in another league. Very old Jap altos fetch better prices then the very new indian altos why ? Mainly cause they don't fall apart like the Indians for a long time which proves that they are well built. The OP is trying to use the car for 10 years, in this case a  Toyota, a car made in Japan will be better built, will age better (at least the interior) thus will fetch a better price after 10 years. 

18 hours ago, Liberty said:

I'm hoping to use this vehicle for almost 10 years

If you're ready to use it for 10 years resale should be the least of your concerns.

Are you really concerned about re-sale value ? 10 years is a looong time actually. 

Roll the clock back 10 years

1. There was a civil war in this country.

2.  A certain terrorist leader was alive. 

3. The Gen2 Priuses just started reaching and people ran away when they saw one.

4. Nissan Sunnies - FB14,FB15,s N16's were considered great cars.

5. Nokia phones were the best selling mobile devices. 

6. I was still a student and weighed 8 kg less.

7. 512 KBPS SLT ADSL was "da bomb" 

the point is in 10 years time maybe sri lanka will have stopped importing cars altogether. maybe due to inflation your Yaris will fetch 625 Million instead of 62.5 million (that IS the price right?)  there will be many crazy tax rules , maybe Mahendran will be back as the CBSL governor.  

and god forbid but we all might even be dead so dont think about reasale but think about daily running as the others mentioned. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, TheFlyingFox said:

@ Crosswind, IMHO things like "build quality" "Spare parts availability" "Prices of spare parts" "Fuel consumption" "Maka bas garage friendly" are the key factors contributing to resale value in Sri Lanka. You should compare an Indian Alto and a Japanese Alto. Not something like a Camry which is in another league. Very old Jap altos fetch better prices then the very new indian altos why ? Mainly cause they don't fall apart like the Indians for a long time which proves that they are well built. The OP is trying to use the car for 10 years, in this case a  Toyota, a car made in Japan will be better built, will age better (at least the interior) thus will fetch a better price after 10 years. 

What you don't understand is resale value is what is the amount of money that you gain or lose compared to what you spend now.

Not the 'good price' that a car fetches when selling it.

5-years ago, a brand new Indian Bulto was 14-something. The same car is advertised for around 17 now 

At the same time, a second hand Japan Bulto (this was the model that looked like a molested bread lorry) was sold for close to 2 million. Those are being sold around the same price even now.

If at all any vehicle that has gained value in the past 5-years, its the Indian Bulto. 

Now lets check Yarises and Axios around about 2012 vintage or so

A Yaris in 2012 or thereabouts cost about 32 if you got one without a permit (with permit, it was 20-odd). Those are being advertised for around 37-38.

At the same time, an unreg Axio went for something like 42-43 or so. Now they are being advertised for around the same price. 

Again the benefit is on the Yaris.

All you can infer is Sri Lankan market is counter intuitive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Liberty said:

I'm deciding on whether to buy a Toyota Yaris Ativ from Toyota Lanka, Where the made is stated as Thailand. The car in question is superb and is barely within my budget. But after talking to a few, some feel like the second market value for Thailand made vehicles are low. Also in addition to that, I'm hoping to use this vehicle for almost 10 years. Do people really decide the second market value by the vehicle brand or the country which was made in? Would love to get some opinions regarding this.

After 10 years time, are you sure that you will be alive?.....?

• Haha 1

Well to me, Resale value is all about the price which the car will sell at some point in the future. The condition of the vehicle, Tax increase, decrease , spare parts availability and price etc etc  will affect the final amount. The statistics which you have shown is correct, however there is no going around the matter that a better built car (Made in Japan) in this case over a (Made in Thailand) car might tend to fetch a better price in the future. 

The axio fetches a good price because it is highly popular among the vast majority of people in Sri Lanka. Reliable, fuel efficient, a lot of spare parts, relatively comfortable, refined, economical cost of parts etc etc. Its obvious that it will always fetch a good price just like any other popular car. I believe there is nothing wrong with it. 

Since we're onto the whole resale value thing I want to add a small observation. 

For over a decade sri lanka have had this curious obsession with the Allion/Premio range. The 260 was described by some as and here I quote some  exact words  " like having a fixed deposit" . "wikunanna dammahama polimata enne ganna" " idamak gattha wage" etc. 

BUT, take a look at the quick site at the number of them waiting to be sold for days and days ...there's one in Moratuwa that's been for sale for about 3 weeks now.  People have maybe changed their preferences or they're considering the numerous turbo-charged options they get for the same price as a 6-7 year old car.  

So really you can't predict the market - a reasonable price. clear records, zero bullshit, and good maintenance will USUALLY fetch you the best possible value for your ride be it today in 2 years or 10 years. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, matroska said:

If you're ready to use it for 10 years resale should be the least of your concerns.

Are you really concerned about re-sale value ? 10 years is a looong time actually. 

Roll the clock back 10 years

1. There was a civil war in this country.

2.  A certain terrorist leader was alive. 

3. The Gen2 Priuses just started reaching and people ran away when they saw one.

4. Nissan Sunnies - FB14,FB15,s N16's were considered great cars.

5. Nokia phones were the best selling mobile devices. 

6. I was still a student and weighed 8 kg less.

7. 512 KBPS SLT ADSL was "da bomb" 

the point is in 10 years time maybe sri lanka will have stopped importing cars altogether. maybe due to inflation your Yaris will fetch 625 Million instead of 62.5 million (that IS the price right?)  there will be many crazy tax rules , maybe Mahendran will be back as the CBSL governor.  

and god forbid but we all might even be dead so dont think about reasale but think about daily running as the others mentioned. 

You have a point. Thing is i'm in my early 20's and so far I've used an Indian alto which was purchased brand new from A*W in 2008. By all means I want to go with this vehicle because it was practically love at first sight lol. Thing is we are able to give the current alto at a higher price, compared to the price we bought it for. And because of this only my family is concerned about the second market value. To make sure the country of origin would not be an issue when selling it someday.

5 minutes ago, Liberty said:

You have a point. Thing is i'm in my early 20's and so far I've used an Indian alto which was purchased brand new from A*W in 2008. By all means I want to go with this vehicle because it was practically love at first sight lol. Thing is we are able to give the current alto at a higher price, compared to the price we bought it for. And because of this only my family is concerned about the second market value. To make sure the country of origin would not be an issue when selling it someday.

Yes but 10 years is a really long time. I really don't think the country would be an issue. and see you sold an INDIAN car for higher price than you got it. But then again take into mind inflation as well. If you really love the car I'd say just go ahead. And this is for 10 years why would you spend 10 years with a car you don't like in the first place? ? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, matroska said:

Yes but 10 years is a really long time. I really don't think the country would be an issue. and see you sold an INDIAN car for higher price than you got it. But then again take into mind inflation as well. If you really love the car I'd say just go ahead. And this is for 10 years why would you spend 10 years with a car you don't like in the first place? ? 

True! I didn't disclose this earlier but I'm only able to afford this vehicle with a PERMIT, Where I will have to invest to obtain a permit. So i'm basically looking into every possible aspect regarding the vehicle and the permit and making sure that I would not F*** UP because of my naiveness. 

Its always good to plan ahead but seriously; planning ahead 10 years for purchasing a car is bit of a craze nowadays. We all know that the automotive technologies have begun to drastically change. Lots of technologies are hitting the market at a quick phase (Hybrids, EV’s, Fuel Cells etc). It’s really hard to anticipate the fate of a good old gasoline powered car in a decade in this vastly changing industry. By then, the gasoline powered cars could be mere antics.  Some of the developed countries have already started to phase out gasoline cars from the streets. So, if the gasoline engine would slowly go out of production as a whole; it would not really matter the origin of your car as the demand for all gasoline powered cars would be very low by then.

And based on the current rate of depreciation; the 60+ lacks you spend to purchase it would worth something like 25-30 lacks in 2028. Even though you may sell it for the purchased price,  it has already depreciated.

So, there are so many other aspects you should worry about and the country of origin would be the least. Who knows.. by 2028 Thailand may become one of the world’s automotive Giants. So, you might regret if you do not go ahead with this purchase after all :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheFlyingFox said:

Nope....not a proven fact. If you look at the Corolla 141s, the Vios's the Hiluxes and the Solunas; all made in Thailand, have actually aged quite well. In fact a lot better than the Japanese counterparts in some regards. For example where the Axio 141 started getting cracked dashboards, AC compressor issues, etc....no such things were present with the equivalent Thai variant. So you really can't do a direct comparison like that....and as Crosswinds said, all these models are being sold at decent prices.

The main difference is refinement, most of the Thai, Phillipines, Indo, Indian, etc...models are manufactured for developing markets with the presumption than things like road and usage conditions would be harsh so the materials used are harder and things like suspension would be higher and harder...but not the build quality itself. 

As for the Alto, the first gen Alto was a stripped down version of the Japanese model. To minimize costs components with a low duty/service cycle were used as opposed to the Japanese variants. Mind you this was also when India first started making it so they were still learning things...In fact Suzuki was criticized quite a lot for stripping down the line-up for India that it was outright unsafe (Swift for Japan European and Japanese markets were one of the safest cars in its category whilst the same thing for the Indian market was a death trap). But now the build quality and design has caught up that Indian manufactured models are being sold in Japan.

@iRage: are you really going to tell everyone here that a soluna has aged better than a similar Tercel or Corsa ? Please inspect the vehicles personally and see. They make vehicles in countries like Thailand and india to cut costs, basically strip down a certain model , remove unnecessary features of a model that is being shippied to Europe or Asia opposed to south east Asia or emerging markets. The quality control of these vehicles are also different , labor is cheap , parts are cheap. I don’t think you have first hand personal experience in these cases. The Thailand made Fiesta we had , had to change both front shocks at around 45k. If they did any additional R&D for these countries road conditions I don’t think that would have happened. 

I agree with you that the quality of Indian made cars have improved , they ship the Baleno now from India to the Japanese market. Even that There are noticeable differences between the Japanese made swift and the Indian made Baleno interns of fit and finish. Anyway the majority of members here say there is no difference so OP you can make a good decision.  Since your on a permit it really doesn’t matter where it’s made , enjoy the vehicle :)   You might want to consider the Civic too , very nice car ! 

Edited by TheFlyingFox

3 hours ago, TheFlyingFox said:

@iRage: are you really going to tell everyone here that a soluna has aged better than a similar Tercel or Corsa ? Please inspect the vehicles personally and see. They make vehicles in countries like Thailand and india to cut costs, basically strip down a certain model , remove unnecessary features of a model that is being shippied to Europe or Asia opposed to south east Asia or emerging markets. The quality control of these vehicles are also different , labor is cheap , parts are cheap. I don’t think you have first hand personal experience in these cases. The Thailand made Fiesta we had , had to change both front shocks at around 45k. If they did any additional R&D for these countries road conditions I don’t think that would have happened.  

Actually, we (family company) used to have a few Solunas and Corolla E100s and B14 and B15 Sunnies....and yes..the Solunas stood up quite well as the E100 Corollas.In the the B14 Sunnies (made in Japan), all the components started giving trouble except for the engine block. I had a Soluna in East Timor with bad roads and fuel like maple syrup...guess what ? The Soluna lasted a lot better than the Japan market Corollas and Carinas. My Mark X in SL needed shocks at 62,000km and this was after the previous owner had replaced them at 42K-ish (the guy had used cheap Chinese counterfeit shocks). Our Corollas also needed shocks around 40K. The only time we got away without changing shocks for more than 50K-60K was with our CRVs,RAV4s, Hilux Surf and Pajero (i.e. 4WD/SUV/Crossover). Even our P90 Vitz in Tanzania needed  new shocks at about 47,000km (we sold it with 30K something to a friend who replaced them...I shipped the shocks to her from Japan). So....when you start complaining about changing shocks at 45K and dissing a car....have you actually had experience in using cars in general ? or actually had a car which you actually had o maintain ?

Granted the E100 Corolla and the Sunnies had more luxurious features and more refinement (more sound proofing, padded panels, etc..). . So yes...even the Solunas have lasted quite well and not that much off from a Starlet, Tercel or Corsa that was used and maintained in a similar manner. You have to put it in the right context as well. Quite a few of the Solunas in SL were used cars from Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. All models of cars (cefiros, corollas, vios, solunas, etc..) imported from these countries were heavily used and irrespective of where they were made, have had issues prop up after short periods of time of being used in SL.

Secondly, people who bought cars like the Soluna, bought it for its low price (I know our company did). As a result, most of these went to people who were not very generous in terms of maintaining them either. So they are just like the Starlets, Tercels and Corsas that were not maintained.  Living in Vietnam, 90% of the cars here are assembled here and there are plenty of 10-15 year old cars with a million miles on them that actually are pretty good.

Are you actually going to say that cars like the Mitsubishi Challenger, L300, Toyota Hilux, Corolla (export), Vios, Honda Fit Aria, Honda City, Honda Grace, Mazda 2, etc...have not lasted or aged well ? The first few models I have mentioned have been around for a decade or more. Still changing hands; and at a decent price. 

..and no...manufacturers for the last few years have not moved production to other places JUST because of cheap labor. It is also not having a duplication of effort. Japanese built cars have components (including gearboxes and engines) that come from Thailand (has been happening for a long long time). I suppose you are going to say these engines break easily and will break soon because they were made in Thailand with bad quality control and cheap labor ?

True...there are cheap models that are based on stripped down platforms of  "Japanese" models or models based on older platforms and tech; these were targeted towards the price conscious consumers. However, the Ativ is pretty much the Yaris sedan (kind of like how the Corolla sedan was called the Corolla Altis for certain variants). Since the Vios has been pretty much been a decent car for the last decade or so, and not one of those "cheap" models..it is hard to imagine that the Ativ would be a POS.

So maybe one's head needs to be pulled out of a sand hole it is buried in based on limited experiences such as..I dunno..Fords perhaps ? It is these limited and narrow perceptions that have skewed the local car market. Making statements like Japanese cars will last longer is irresponsible when Japan themselves have had made some really bad POS cars (including our much craved the B14 Sunny). 

@iRage. Firstly with all your experience you have failed to miss my point. I have never stated that any car is “POS” . I only said that a Japanese made car will age better than the same car produced in another country Thailand , India.

You say the soluna lasted better than a corolla hence I have no comments having seen a soluna and a Corsa age for around 10 years. Maybe I look at attention to detail and your not. The interior and exterior specially on the soluna is not “as” durable as a Corsa. Again I should emphasize on the fact that I’m not saying Thailand cars do not age. Simply they don’t age as well as the Japanese.  

Also as I mentioned in one of my previous posts , “engines and trannies cannot be faulted though “ so please read before commenting. 

I have had cars ranging from euros , japs and Indians over the years. Most cars I bought  new the shocks lasted for 80k or 100k except the Ford. 

And no in my eye cars like the vios doesn’t look as handsome as say a Japanese corolla exterior and interior after say 5 years from new. Not that they are “Crap” or “POS” just that the Japanese have a edge when it comes to fit and finish. 

Sometimes different people have different experiences based on a variety of circumstances. Pulling my head out of something can apply to you as well. 

Apart from all of this I recently went to see a w203 merc for a friend, guess what there is a Indian variant of this and the quality over the Germans after 15 years is , well I’ll try to be nice. there is a big difference!! 

Cheers ! Peace !! Hope I didn’t offend anyone here 

Edited by TheFlyingFox

50 minutes ago, TheFlyingFox said:

Of course not ! That’s why I said different people have different experiences :) I just stated mine. 

uhh..but you said Thai made cars do not age well because your Ford needed shocks in 45K....

Edited by iRage

1 hour ago, TheFlyingFox said:

@iRage. Firstly with all your experience you have failed to miss my point. I have never stated that any car is “POS” . I only said that a Japanese made car will age better than the same car produced in another country Thailand , India.

which means you are also saying all those cars I mentioned which are manufactured in Thailand do not age well. When in fact most of those models have done better than some of the JDM variants (like the dashboards and compressors).

In fact with the Corolla and Pajero Sport/Challenger..no one ever knew the difference between the Japan manufactured ones as opposed to the Thai/Pakistan/India assembled ones.

I said the Soluna lasted as well as the Corolla. and those two cars lasted a lot better than the crappy B14 Made in Japan Sunny.I am rather critical about details. I have made quite a few car enthusiasts cry by saying their cars were crap because the wheel arches were off by a few mm or that the bonnet was not straight :)

There was a time when Thai and Indo cars were miles apart from the Japanese cars, like the Kijang....but those days really are in the past and have changed quite a lot since the turn of the century. Like I said..the biggest problem with the SL car market is that we are stuck in the past and tall tales created by car sales people.

Yes....there were a few Indian variants of the E. Yes..they were not very good...especially since it was the time when the Americans were mucking around with it.