• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

PETROL TO DIESEL AND BACK TO PETROL CONVERSION

troyboy

Hi AL,

Dad owns a beat up Cefiro A31, It was converted to Diesel by the previous owner
he wants to restore the car to the original state the car is 27Y old, the Diesel engine doesn't run anymore.
Revenue licence and insurance are up to date along with the ECO test.
Advice me the process to convert the car, thank you.

Regards

1 hour ago, troyboy said:

Hi AL,

Dad owns a beat up Cefiro A31, It was converted to Diesel by the previous owner
he wants to restore the car to the original state the car is 27Y old, the Diesel engine doesn't run anymore.
Revenue licence and insurance are up to date along with the ECO test.
Advice me the process to convert the car, thank you.

Regards

Was the diesel engine conversion legally registered by the previous owner?

I know a few individuals who got this done. Not sure of the proper channel, maybe a shady one. All of them are wealthy chaps. Directly check this at DMT if there is a legal path.

I don't see the point of skepticism in this thread. If someone wants to demolest a car, by all means we should encourage it. And A31 is a pretty rare and sought-after car among enthusiasts.

Also if I'm not mistaken, A31 is an RWD.

There is nothing illegal about converting a diesel car to petrol. The documentation requirement is pretty much the same for a diesel conversion. You will need the bill for the engine, the original CR, revenue license and a request letter along with the relevant forms that you can get from RMV. If your car was subjected to diesel/luxury tax at any point of time, you will need to have proof that you paid for it.

The biggest caveat is the car should be less than 25 years old from the date of registration in Sri Lanka. Your car is 27 years old. You haven't mentioned whether it is from the date of manufacture or registration. Also you will need to get the vehicle weighed at Werahera (if you are in Colombo) and hopefully you can get it in to running condition soon. 

Also pls note that the 325- number will not change. You will not get your old number back, even if you convert it back to petrol.

The charges for diesel to petrol conversion is much less than the opposite if I recall. You might be able to fund a large portion of your total expenses by getting rid of the RD28, if its in good condition.

Edited by Crosswind

Hi Crosswind,

Thank you for the extensive input, yes as you have mentioned my dad wants to resurrect the car to its original status
, unfortunately, the car was registered in 1991 for a diplomat
I can understand the scepticism here I can post pictures of the car in case anyone wants to verify my legitimacy, also I'm a new member here and I talked about a rare bird.
I'm really worried about the 25-year limitation but I have seen old Austin's, VW's and other classics get conversions and swaps these cars are 40+ years from registration.
I can get the bill for the engine, CR, RL and the request letter as you specified.

RD28 is sought after by Luxury car diesel conversions I guess, my mechanic said this can be easily sold off for 100k if I can get it up and running.

Thank you for your intelligent analysis. If you can guide me on how I can proceed with the total process of converting it inbox me.

WhatsApp Image 2018-09-07 at 10.43.05 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-09-07 at 10.43.06 AM.jpeg

Edited by troyboy
PICTURE UPLOAD

Holy shit the interior looks spotless!

What u need to do first is go to RMV (with all documents) and get the forms. Go to RMV first floor car section and talk to the Assistant Commissioner on duty at the time and tell him/her your need. Although the clerks and other minor staff act like typical government employees, the Commissioners are young and educated so they are much better behaved. Be very polite. Unfortunately I can't tell you how the 25-year limit will affect you but an assistant commissioner's signature can override a few things.

Remember to dress well. May be wear a tie. You have no idea what ties can achieve in government departments.

If its not for the 25-year problem, all you need to do is to fill the forms, get the approval, buy the engine, plug it in, get it weighed and get it reregistered.

Oh one more thing. You will need to take a bill of an engine with you so pay a small advance for a spare parts shop to reserve an engine and get a bill before you go.

You will be stuck with the 325- number no matter what you do. You might be able to convert it to an EA- number (at a cost) but you will never get your old number back.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2018 at 3:50 PM, Crosswind said:

Holy shit the interior looks spotless!

What u need to do first is go to RMV (with all documents) and get the forms. Go to RMV first floor car section and talk to the Assistant Commissioner on duty at the time and tell him/her your need. Although the clerks and other minor staff act like typical government employees, the Commissioners are young and educated so they are much better behaved. Be very polite. Unfortunately I can't tell you how the 25-year limit will affect you but an assistant commissioner's signature can override a few things.

Remember to dress well. May be wear a tie. You have no idea what ties can achieve in government departments.

If its not for the 25-year problem, all you need to do is to fill the forms, get the approval, buy the engine, plug it in, get it weighed and get it reregistered.

Oh one more thing. You will need to take a bill of an engine with you so pay a small advance for a spare parts shop to reserve an engine and get a bill before you go.

You will be stuck with the 325- number no matter what you do. You might be able to convert it to an EA- number (at a cost) but you will never get your old number back.

Hi Crosswind,

I'm sorry for the delayed response, your insight was definitely the answer I was looking for I would go and do the needful as you have mentioned, the 25-year restriction will be the reason if I can't get it approved.
I'm not sure how well it will work out but I'll take my monk cousin with me, usually, religious status has an effect on the morale of a person.

Thanks once again for your response.

Regards.