• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

High consumption mode

Munyemba

Question

I own a Mitsubishi Pajero io 2001 model, imported from Japan. Today it just went into a high consumption mode, I.e. the letters GDI ECO just disappeared. What could be the problem?

In addition, it is displaying the message in Japanese, but I can't read it..I have attached a picture of the message it displays.

IMG_20180904_232046.jpg

8 answers to this question

Are you actually experiencing high fuel consumption or did you just assume because the ECO light is not indicating? If not, it may just be a blown indicator bulb. 

I don't know Japanese, but Google Translate says that text means "System Setting" in English.

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Munyemba said:

I own a Mitsubishi Pajero io 2001 model, imported from Japan. Today it just went into a high consumption mode, I.e. the letters GDI ECO just disappeared. What could be the problem?

In addition, it is displaying the message in Japanese, but I can't read it..I have attached a picture of the message it displays.

IMG_20180904_232046.jpg

I think it is quite normal for GDi engines when exceeding a certain speed.

58 minutes ago, Munyemba said:

Perhaps it's the indicator bulb that was blown, but Mr. Davy how do I check the bulb?

You need to take the gauge cluster out. Swap it with a working bulb (door indicator for example) temporarily just to check if it's working again. If it is, then buy a new bulb. Bulbs are behind the cluster. Twist and pull.

Take the blown bulb as sample. there are several types of bulbs, but my guess is that your new bulb will not come with the holder, so you'll have to carefully remove the old bulb from the holder by undoing the leads that wrap around the holder and install the new bulb the same way. 

Yes, the message on the screen says "System Setting", and it is for the navi/audio/thingy-system according to what I could find online. This might be completely irrelevant...but...

Did you remove the battery or did the battery completely discharge in your car ? Which could have made the audio system to lose all its settings ? or do any changes ? If so the eco light could have gone off because the ECU was reset and its still in learning mode or something ?

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Yes, the message on the screen says "System Setting", and it is for the navi/audio/thingy-system according to what I could find online. This might be completely irrelevant...but...

Did you remove the battery or did the battery completely discharge in your car ? Which could have made the audio system to lose all its settings ? or do any changes ? If so the eco light could have gone off because the ECU was reset and its still in learning mode or something ?

The battery has working very efficiently and it has never discharged and I did not removed it. All other lights are working

2 hours ago, Davy said:

You need to take the gauge cluster out. Swap it with a working bulb (door indicator for example) temporarily just to check if it's working again. If it is, then buy a new bulb. Bulbs are behind the cluster. Twist and pull.

Take the blown bulb as sample. there are several types of bulbs, but my guess is that your new bulb will not come with the holder, so you'll have to carefully remove the old bulb from the holder by undoing the leads that wrap around the holder and install the new bulb the same way. 

Thank you very much, I will try this one