• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Emission test requirement

VecLa

Hi,

If my car's manufacturing year is 2018, and bought from a car dealer and shipped here as re-conditioned (I guess usual procedure in SL), do I still have to do an emission test? This is to get the first revenue license.

Someone who knows about this, please share.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Davy said:

Thanks, Davy. I returned from overseas and was trying to understand the logic behind the following scenario- I bought a car from a dealer which was manufactured in 2018/07. It was brought to SL under a government permit as brand new and as per the procedure (I suppose) the first registered date is same as the transfer date to my name (it was 30/08 in this case). At this point, RMV records it as 're-conditioned', which is in actual fact not (no one did any re-conditioning as I inspected the documents, where it was cleared 3 days before I bought it). Since I learned there is a penalty if I do not obtain revenue license within the stipulated time, I went to WP revenue authority and asked the counter person- Japan manufactured car in July 2018, and you government servants under the duty concession permit get down a brand new vehicle, which you sell and when you sell you mark it as re-conditioned, and then ask me to test the brand new vehicle for emission test. The guy at the counter has one answer that he smilingly told me- "rajaya thama ehema karanna kiyala thiyenne... RMV eken re-condition kiyala tibunoth, apita karanna deyak neha". I know he cannot tell anything beyond that. But, I am still trying to understand- how could the very government allow this- government servant buys a brand new vehicle under his/her permit, and sell the permit (I have absolutely no issue with that), and when it is sold without even having to see the vehicle by the permit holder put the label as 're-conditioned' and now tell the buyer to go and get an emission test. Am I missing something here?

18 hours ago, VecLa said:

Thanks, Davy. I returned from overseas and was trying to understand the logic behind the following scenario- I bought a car from a dealer which was manufactured in 2018/07. It was brought to SL under a government permit as brand new and as per the procedure (I suppose) the first registered date is same as the transfer date to my name (it was 30/08 in this case). At this point, RMV records it as 're-conditioned', which is in actual fact not (no one did any re-conditioning as I inspected the documents, where it was cleared 3 days before I bought it). Since I learned there is a penalty if I do not obtain revenue license within the stipulated time, I went to WP revenue authority and asked the counter person- Japan manufactured car in July 2018, and you government servants under the duty concession permit get down a brand new vehicle, which you sell and when you sell you mark it as re-conditioned, and then ask me to test the brand new vehicle for emission test. The guy at the counter has one answer that he smilingly told me- "rajaya thama ehema karanna kiyala thiyenne... RMV eken re-condition kiyala tibunoth, apita karanna deyak neha". I know he cannot tell anything beyond that. But, I am still trying to understand- how could the very government allow this- government servant buys a brand new vehicle under his/her permit, and sell the permit (I have absolutely no issue with that), and when it is sold without even having to see the vehicle by the permit holder put the label as 're-conditioned' and now tell the buyer to go and get an emission test. Am I missing something here?

How do you tell it is a Brand New car?
What was the mileage in ODO when you brought it to SL?

19 hours ago, VecLa said:

You are missing a vital bit of information. On paper a brand new car can only be sold by the manufacturer''s local agent !

All other imports, even if it was manufactured a day before the day it was shipped and has 0km on the meter; it gets classified as a "Re-conditioned/Used" vehicle.

Because....if you take Japan for example, when your agent went ad bought the brand new car from the Toyota Dealer in Japan, the Toyota dealer in Japan was legally required to register it in Japan (so it got a registration number in Japan), then your agent would have collected it and then de-registered it and then shipped it to SL (or your agent could have bought a car that has already gone through the registration/de-registration process from an auction). Thus, even all the export paper in Japan would classify the car as used because it was registered in Japan for atleast a day. So the car is practically brand new, but theoretically it is "used". So a person does not have to see the car to determine if it is brand new....theoretically, all the papers say it is "used" and any one who knows the process knows that it is "used" and NOT "brand new"

As such, when the car is in SL, it will require an emissions test as it is classified as "used"

17 hours ago, iRage said:

You are missing a vital bit of information. On paper a brand new car can only be sold by the manufacturer''s local agent !

All other imports, even if it was manufactured a day before the day it was shipped and has 0km on the meter; it gets classified as a "Re-conditioned/Used" vehicle.

Because....if you take Japan for example, when your agent went ad bought the brand new car from the Toyota Dealer in Japan, the Toyota dealer in Japan was legally required to register it in Japan (so it got a registration number in Japan), then your agent would have collected it and then de-registered it and then shipped it to SL (or your agent could have bought a car that has already gone through the registration/de-registration process from an auction). Thus, even all the export paper in Japan would classify the car as used because it was registered in Japan for atleast a day. So the car is practically brand new, but theoretically it is "used". So a person does not have to see the car to determine if it is brand new....theoretically, all the papers say it is "used" and any one who knows the process knows that it is "used" and NOT "brand new"

As such, when the car is in SL, it will require an emissions test as it is classified as "used"

Thanks, iRage for the clear and logical explanation that which happens in Japan, however, it sounds very illogical to test a vehicle for emission test when it is done only few kms with its age being 1 month from the manufacturing date unless technically a vehicle can become faulty with its emission system within few kms.

18 hours ago, gNaveendra said:

How do you tell it is a Brand New car?
What was the mileage in ODO when you brought it to SL?

When first registration is done in Japan it was 4km, when it was brought to SL it was 6km, when I bought, it was 11km.

6 hours ago, VecLa said:

When first registration is done in Japan it was 4km, when it was brought to SL it was 6km, when I bought, it was 11km.

How you are sure the ODO meter is not reversed. There is a notorious meter board technician near Soma Devi Place, Narehenpita. May be the guys sold the car from Japan might contacted him and reversed the meter by giving few bucks....:). I know there was a Fiat Punto car which was advertised with 229K kilometers few months back. After 2 weeks the same car was advertised with 106K. Then after a week the ODO meter value for this car came to 23K and the ad specifically mentioned as a low mileage car. So who can be sure about the mileage?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VecLa said:

Thanks, iRage for the clear and logical explanation that which happens in Japan, however, it sounds very illogical to test a vehicle for emission test when it is done only few kms with its age being 1 month from the manufacturing date unless technically a vehicle can become faulty with its emission system within few kms.

The same applies to many other countries as well.

As for you thinking a car with just a few km does not need an emissions test is simply based on your own presumptions.

In any country if a used car (i.e. a car not sold through the manufacturer's agent) is imported it will have to go through a rigorous inspection irrespective of the mileage (and age) before it is even allowed to put on the road. Following that, it will go through the same annual/periodic testing requirements of the country.  It is just that in SL the testing is antiquated for testing both during import clearance and periodic road worthiness. On top of that Sri Lanka has the added problem of crooks bringing in piles of junk with modified meters, etc... 

Now.... in Japan, Vietnam, Thailand, etc...where the cars are manufactured; theoretically, even a brand new car rolling off the production line, does have an emissions, road worthy test that has been "performed". It is in the form of something in the sort of a certificate of conformance that is issued by the manufacturer for that country. 

Now following that, even in other countries irrespective of the mileage of the car; you still have to get some sort of test done on a periodic basis. Just like in Sri Lanka and its the "emissions test". In Japan, a brand new car, after its first three years has to go through the road worthy test every two years no matter what the mileage is. (the owner has to do an annual vehicle check-up..which for the first three years is covered by the manufacturer).  In Vietnam it is similar, however based on the age of the car and how much you are willing to pay in upfront taxes they will let you certify the car for either 12 or up to 18 months.

So, although you might feel it is ridiculous, in fact there is logic behind it. Remember, although it is not obvious in SL, the government does need to enforce policies that cover a whole range of scenarios/circumstances in the most efficient way possible (again, certainly not visinle LS governance). In fact like I mentioned earlier, all cars, even if they are Hybrid, EV or ICE they should have to go through a far more comprehensive road worthy test (that is appropriate for the type of vehicle).

To be honest, I can't understand what the big fuss is. Getting the emissions test takes less than 20 mins and a few thousand rupees. Compared to like 200USD ++ (in Japan it can cost up to 1700USD), it is actually nothing (if your car is legit)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, iRage said:

To be honest, I can't understand what the big fuss is. Getting the emissions test takes less than 20 mins and a few thousand rupees. Compared to like 200USD ++ (in Japan it can cost up to 1700USD), it is actually nothing (if your car is legit) 

Well said...?. What is the big deal in getting an emission test?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, iRage said:

The same applies to many other countries as well.

As for you thinking a car with just a few km does not need an emissions test is simply based on your own presumptions.

In any country if a used car (i.e. a car not sold through the manufacturer's agent) is imported it will have to go through a rigorous inspection irrespective of the mileage (and age) before it is even allowed to put on the road. Following that, it will go through the same annual/periodic testing requirements of the country.  It is just that in SL the testing is antiquated for testing both during import clearance and periodic road worthiness. On top of that Sri Lanka has the added problem of crooks bringing in piles of junk with modified meters, etc... 

Now.... in Japan, Vietnam, Thailand, etc...where the cars are manufactured; theoretically, even a brand new car rolling off the production line, does have an emissions, road worthy test that has been "performed". It is in the form of something in the sort of a certificate of conformance that is issued by the manufacturer for that country. 

Now following that, even in other countries irrespective of the mileage of the car; you still have to get some sort of test done on a periodic basis. Just like in Sri Lanka and its the "emissions test". In Japan, a brand new car, after its first three years has to go through the road worthy test every two years no matter what the mileage is. (the owner has to do an annual vehicle check-up..which for the first three years is covered by the manufacturer).  In Vietnam it is similar, however based on the age of the car and how much you are willing to pay in upfront taxes they will let you certify the car for either 12 or up to 18 months.

So, although you might feel it is ridiculous, in fact there is logic behind it. Remember, although it is not obvious in SL, the government does need to enforce policies that cover a whole range of scenarios/circumstances in the most efficient way possible (again, certainly not visinle LS governance). In fact like I mentioned earlier, all cars, even if they are Hybrid, EV or ICE they should have to go through a far more comprehensive road worthy test (that is appropriate for the type of vehicle).

I am aware of the conformities required by authorities for good reasons. As the vehicle is used on road, and its age increases, it will certainly require specified standards to be followed. I have no question on that. My concern is, why it is required to go through an emission test on a car that was manufactured in 2018/07 with 11km on ODO. Sure, today's vehicle manufacturers provide detail specs that include standards used and their ratings. Having said that I want to say, people don't ask questions to make a fuss, but it could vary whether to check- is this a right thing, reasonable, fair, valid, why I need to do something etc etc. In your part, you have given more than enough information, and thanks for that. 

7 hours ago, tilvin said:

How you are sure the ODO meter is not reversed. There is a notorious meter board technician near Soma Devi Place, Narehenpita. May be the guys sold the car from Japan might contacted him and reversed the meter by giving few bucks....:). I know there was a Fiat Punto car which was advertised with 229K kilometers few months back. After 2 weeks the same car was advertised with 106K. Then after a week the ODO meter value for this car came to 23K and the ad specifically mentioned as a low mileage car. So who can be sure about the mileage?

Thanks for your concern. I don't have a question in that regard on the vehicle I bought.

Not only in SL, there are people in Japan who also do odometer tampering(Indian IT workers) for a few thousand yen. So unless you went to the dealer shop in Japan,checked and hand picked the car by yourself, the 11km in the dashboard has no meaning. The JAAI certificates, Auction grades etc provided by salesmen are mostly fakes aka counterfeits.

13 hours ago, VecLa said:

I am aware of the conformities required by authorities for good reasons. As the vehicle is used on road, and its age increases, it will certainly require specified standards to be followed. I have no question on that. My concern is, why it is required to go through an emission test on a car that was manufactured in 2018/07 with 11km on ODO. Sure, today's vehicle manufacturers provide detail specs that include standards used and their ratings. Having said that I want to say, people don't ask questions to make a fuss, but it could vary whether to check- is this a right thing, reasonable, fair, valid, why I need to do something etc etc. In your part, you have given more than enough information, and thanks for that. 

Yes..it is fair....you missed a point. I am not talking about specs. like I said...even in a brand new car needs an emissions certificate. When the manufacturer directly sells the car to the customer in the country the car is authorized to be sold in; the manufacturer's "certificate of conformity" attests to the fact that it is within the emissions and other safety requirements at time of sale and is free from manufacturing defects (thus meets the specs publicized for the car). So in essence the manufacturer has given an emissions test for the car. So at time of first registration you don't need to do a separate emissions test. The thing is Such a certification is valid only in the market the manufacturer has sol the vehicle in. Mazda Japan would certify a brand new Axela meets Japanese regulatory standards at the time of sale, but they won't certify that the Axela meets standards in SL (especially when it is a model not sold by the manufacturer in SL). 

After the initial registration, the owner has to comply with the country's regulation. In Japan the owner doesn't need to do it for 3 years because within that 3 years the manufacturer's annual checks cover it. If you bought a brand new car in Japan from a grey dealer then yes..prior to first registration you have to put it through a shaken test and on an annual or bi-annual basis you have to get the emissions test done. Same with Australia, same with the UK, same with the US....

Yes, the government's requirement is legit/fair/reasonable.I told you why, the car you got from Japan is classified as used because it was never sold through the manufacturer in Sri Lanka (so the manufacturer could have certified the car to be running on kerosene oil in middle of no where Africa as far as the SL authorities would know). You say your car has only 16km when you got it....the authorities, the agents and places like car checks can show you a thousand other unregistered, 10km vehicles with crashed chassis, twisted rear sub-frames,and gearboxes leaking oil to name a few. Then there are brand new cars with JAAI inspections sold by car dealers over here, where when you try to verify the papers in Japan, the certificates do not exist or the details are very very wrong.

Secondly, even if the car was bought as brand new from the agents, it doesn't mean that the car meets regulatory requirements after a year of use. 95% of Sri Lankans don't maintain their cars and are quite stingy when it comes to maintenance (well cash is tight because most of it goes it paying off a lease). In addition, with things like questionable and inconsistent fuel quality the car may not meet regulatory standards after a short amount of time and may need some maintenance work done. So yes...the government's policy is fair.

Your car was manufactured in 2018/07 ? I suppose you are referring to date of first registration ? Theoretically the car's first registration was in Japan. In Japan the dealer does not tell you the YoM or the month. All the invoices, etc...show a date of sale, date of delivery (when the customer picks up the car) and the date of first registration. For all intents and purposes, authorities consider the period of first registration as the approximate year of manufacture for a car (mainly because most cars are completed on order and manufacturers tend not to hold on to stock piles of cars). Your car could have been manufactured in April/May of 2018 and had been in the manufacturer's stock for a few months but it is presumed to be around the date of first registration.

Edited by iRage

18 hours ago, iRage said:

Yes..it is fair....you missed a point. I am not talking about specs. like I said...even in a brand new car needs an emissions certificate. When the manufacturer directly sells the car to the customer in the country the car is authorized to be sold in; the manufacturer's "certificate of conformity" attests to the fact that it is within the emissions and other safety requirements at time of sale and is free from manufacturing defects (thus meets the specs publicized for the car). So in essence the manufacturer has given an emissions test for the car. So at time of first registration you don't need to do a separate emissions test. The thing is Such a certification is valid only in the market the manufacturer has sol the vehicle in. Mazda Japan would certify a brand new Axela meets Japanese regulatory standards at the time of sale, but they won't certify that the Axela meets standards in SL (especially when it is a model not sold by the manufacturer in SL). 

After the initial registration, the owner has to comply with the country's regulation. In Japan the owner doesn't need to do it for 3 years because within that 3 years the manufacturer's annual checks cover it. If you bought a brand new car in Japan from a grey dealer then yes..prior to first registration you have to put it through a shaken test and on an annual or bi-annual basis you have to get the emissions test done. Same with Australia, same with the UK, same with the US....

Yes, the government's requirement is legit/fair/reasonable.I told you why, the car you got from Japan is classified as used because it was never sold through the manufacturer in Sri Lanka (so the manufacturer could have certified the car to be running on kerosene oil in middle of no where Africa as far as the SL authorities would know). You say your car has only 16km when you got it....the authorities, the agents and places like car checks can show you a thousand other unregistered, 10km vehicles with crashed chassis, twisted rear sub-frames,and gearboxes leaking oil to name a few. Then there are brand new cars with JAAI inspections sold by car dealers over here, where when you try to verify the papers in Japan, the certificates do not exist or the details are very very wrong.

Secondly, even if the car was bought as brand new from the agents, it doesn't mean that the car meets regulatory requirements after a year of use. 95% of Sri Lankans don't maintain their cars and are quite stingy when it comes to maintenance (well cash is tight because most of it goes it paying off a lease). In addition, with things like questionable and inconsistent fuel quality the car may not meet regulatory standards after a short amount of time and may need some maintenance work done. So yes...the government's policy is fair.

Your car was manufactured in 2018/07 ? I suppose you are referring to date of first registration ? Theoretically the car's first registration was in Japan. In Japan the dealer does not tell you the YoM or the month. All the invoices, etc...show a date of sale, date of delivery (when the customer picks up the car) and the date of first registration. For all intents and purposes, authorities consider the period of first registration as the approximate year of manufacture for a car (mainly because most cars are completed on order and manufacturers tend not to hold on to stock piles of cars). Your car could have been manufactured in April/May of 2018 and had been in the manufacturer's stock for a few months but it is presumed to be around the date of first registration.

You are a good, patient, firm knowledge sharer, iRage. Having driven a few days now, I begin to realise SL needs more stringent/ rigorous emission tests. If possible, it would even be better for every vehicle to display an 'emission test certified' sticker that shows place of emission test performed and a contact number to inform an authority if a vehicle emits visible & unbearable smoke. I keep witnessing that many (I guess) diesel vehicles emit an unbearable amount of black smoke and felt sorry for motor-cycles, pedestrians, policemen and to be honest even for my new car. I am here in SL for about 2 or more years, and I wish I can return sooner than I got to stay here. Initially, I had a sort of anger for having to test my new vehicle as I witnessed few of above cases and also observing the standard and status of equipment that was used to test my new car, but now I feel good that I did a right thing -thanks to you for helping me to ease my anger. I can imagine, if SL had not introduced this test, what would have been the situation on road with this un-concerned mindset most road-users proudly display. Though I felt challenged to my intelligence, when I read 'standards in SL' phrase in your explanation, I also realise if not, what would have been the situation. Yesterday, I was passing an area, where heavily thick smoke spread around 2-3kms, I guess some authority is burning garbage in a highly populated area. Do they think for a moment- little children, people with respiratory issues, aged people? I very well understand that these issues are complex (socio-economic) than we can point the finger at, but I wonder- are we a cursed nation.

BTW, Australia has a different approach to the vehicle tests and at least I can assure you for Vic.

I am glad you realized that the emission test was required...but I am sure seem to have realized that it is also a mere farce and a really really bad joke and much much more needs to be done.

Yes..each country has its own system. I was siting Aus, Japan, UK as in having strict requirements which you really can't run away from. Not that these countries have the same system in place :) Aus can be very strict on vehicle imports. In fact most of my friends in Japan shiver in anguish when they have to deal with the auto industry stake holders there. In SL anyone can bring any piece of junk as the only thing SL requires is a inspection report from the exporting country which is forged more often than not. In 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As discussed here, even a brand new vehicle imported through a grey importer needs emission test. 

My worry is whether, it is okay to accelerate the non-seasoned engine of a vehicle to a very high RPM during the emission testing? 

They rev it up to about 4500 RPM and that's only for a few seconds. Hardly redlining it. Don't see that doing too much damage.

The guys who drive it at the port when unloading and getting it into car carriers/car sales- well, I'd be more concerned on if they follow the engine breaking in guidelines!

2 hours ago, RWD said:

They rev it up to about 4500 RPM and that's only for a few seconds. Hardly redlining it. Don't see that doing too much damage.

The guys who drive it at the port when unloading and getting it into car carriers/car sales- well, I'd be more concerned on if they follow the engine breaking in guidelines!

The test is supposed to conducted at idle and then at 2500 RPM only. However, I've seen many operators at emissions testing centres race the hell out of the engine. Sometimes before the test starts. I've argued with one or two of these fellows and told them off on multiple occasions. 

• Like 2

On 10/26/2018 at 7:52 AM, RWD said:

In my case, I insisted them not to rev high as this is a new engine. They did up to 2300 for seconds.

23 hours ago, Davy said:

The test is supposed to conducted at idle and then at 2500 RPM only. However, I've seen many operators at emissions testing centres race the hell out of the engine. Sometimes before the test starts. I've argued with one or two of these fellows and told them off on multiple occasions. 

There are messages displayed on the computer which tells when to accelerate and when to release the accelerator, some of them don't follow those instructions

21 hours ago, Magnum said:

There are messages displayed on the computer which tells when to accelerate and when to release the accelerator, some of them don't follow those instructions

Indeed, this is the common ignorance our guys have. I am wondering whether a proper training is given to guys work in these emission testing centers. Sometimes I felt bit of jealously drives their actions too......