• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan RZ-1 TO 200SX 1987 SWAP

troyboy

Question

Hi AL,

I currently own an RZ-1 with an e15t engine, the car is in bad condition I got it for 450,000LKR from Galle.
I have an opportunity to get down a 200sx 1987 with the chassis for 450,000LKR the car is only 180,000 (250,000)LKR YEN FOB (Quoted by a reliable importer)
The cars are quite indistinguishable to many, except for the pop-up lights in the front.

Advise if I should do the Swap would there be legal implications, Can it be done as a modification in the book? the engine would be swapped to ca18DET

Regards.

RZ1.jpg

200SX.jpg

8 answers to this question

19 hours ago, troyboy said:

Hi Twin Turbo / iRage,

I'm not planning to make a monstrosity actually thing is I'm going to only use the RZ-1 Chassis
So yeah I might venture into illegal waters. My contact said the book can be updated in RMV for around 2-5 LKS
Or end up fabricating this with a ca18DET

I think you have misunderstood what a "chassis" is in these cars and underestimating the task at hand. These are unibody cars...therefore, it is not a matter of removing an old body and putting the new body on top of a metal chassis/ladder (like they would do in Land Cruisers and Morris minors and stuff...).

With a unibody car like the RZ-1; what you will have to do is remove the body panels from the RZ-1 leaving just its frame/skeleton.This skeleton would comprise of the roof, side pillars, "engine compartment", floor pan of entire car, rear fender section..in the very least. Then  you have to attach the Sylvia body panels on to the RZ-1 skeleton. They are not going to match up. The proportions are different. Therefore, you will have to weld, cut, make pieces, cut more etc...to make the Sylvia body panels line up properly on to the RZ-1 skeleton. So..even if you don't want to....you are going to end up with a Frankenstein car. 

Unless you are going to keep it FWD, to make it RWD you would need to cut and chop the floor pan of the RZ-1 skeleton. The RZ-1 is FWD and Sylvia RWD, you will have to make a gearbox tunnel and then extend that tunnel to run the rest of the prop shaft Then you might also have to change the floor pan in the back to accommodate the rear diff. 

Again, do a proper resto-mod of the RZ-1 instead of creating a monster. A clean resto mod would be far more valuable than what you are trying to do.

HI,  Welcome to AL.

1. Can be done.you'll need the wiring and Be sure to change cooling system components. keep in mind that your doner engine is rear wheel drive and considerably different from what powers the RZ-1 which is front wheel drive.

2. The RMV must be informed of the engine change and the number updated in the reg document.

Suggest a B13. engine 

Edited by Twin Turbo

Uhhh....it is going ot require a considerable amount of fabrication work to mount the 200SX body panels on to the RZ-1 frame. Unless you are thinking of having some kind of weird Frankenstein like monstrosity.

I strongly recommend you do something like make a TWINCAM NISMO replica with a CA16DE (or you can go with a E15ET. You can source an entire car in Japan and just remove the parts and bring over for a direct fitment. You will have a much nicer and cleaner car than the weird RZ-1 with a messed up Sylvia body.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

HI,  Welcome to AL.

1. Can be done.you'll need the wiring and Be sure to change cooling system components. keep in mind that your doner engine is rear wheel drive and considerably different from what powers the RZ-1 which is front wheel drive.

2. The RMV must be informed of the engine change and the number updated in the reg document.

Suggest a B13. engine 

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Uhhh....it is going ot require a considerable amount of fabrication work to mount the 200SX body panels on to the RZ-1 frame. Unless you are thinking of having some kind of weird Frankenstein like monstrosity.

I strongly recommend you do something like make a TWINCAM NISMO replica with a CA16DE (or you can go with a E15ET. You can source an entire car in Japan and just remove the parts and bring over for a direct fitment. You will have a much nicer and cleaner car than the weird RZ-1 with a messed up Sylvia body.

Hi Twin Turbo / iRage,

I'm not planning to make a monstrosity actually thing is I'm going to only use the RZ-1 Chassis
So yeah I might venture into illegal waters. My contact said the book can be updated in RMV for around 2-5 LKS
Or end up fabricating this with a ca18DET

9 minutes ago, iRage said:

I think you have misunderstood what a "chassis" is in these cars and underestimating the task at hand. These are unibody cars...therefore, it is not a matter of removing an old body and putting the new body on top of a metal chassis/ladder (like they would do in Land Cruisers and Morris minors and stuff...).

With a unibody car like the RZ-1; what you will have to do is remove the body panels from the RZ-1 leaving just its frame/skeleton.This skeleton would comprise of the roof, side pillars, "engine compartment", floor pan of entire car, rear fender section..in the very least. Then  you have to attach the Sylvia body panels on to the RZ-1 skeleton. They are not going to match up. The proportions are different. Therefore, you will have to weld, cut, make pieces, cut more etc...to make the Sylvia body panels line up properly on to the RZ-1 skeleton. So..even if you don't want to....you are going to end up with a Frankenstein car. 

Unless you are going to keep it FWD, to make it RWD you would need to cut and chop the floor pan of the RZ-1 skeleton. The RZ-1 is FWD and Sylvia RWD, you will have to make a gearbox tunnel and then extend that tunnel to run the rest of the prop shaft Then you might also have to change the floor pan in the back to accommodate the rear diff. 

Again, do a proper resto-mod of the RZ-1 instead of creating a monster. A clean resto mod would be far more valuable than what you are trying to do.

Hi iRage,

Thank you for the detailed analysis, I really didn't think as deep as you have mentioned above.
It's forums and members like you that I can really appreciate on receiving feedback from.
I hate the fact that I will be turning my car into a Frankenstein hack job, and will go with an engine swap with the pop-up light setup like the above.

I will be posting my work by hopefully by December vacations.

Regards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, troyboy said:

Hi iRage,

Thank you for the detailed analysis, I really didn't think as deep as you have mentioned above.
It's forums and members like you that I can really appreciate on receiving feedback from.
I hate the fact that I will be turning my car into a Frankenstein hack job, and will go with an engine swap with the pop-up light setup like the above.

I will be posting my work by hopefully by December vacations.

Regards.

Is that a real car ? looks a bit photoshopped

As an owner of a pop-up light car...I can tell you for a fact that they are fun and cool but a pain in the a**  to maintain :) try to get a setup from a modern car (i.e. don't go get the motors and relays and stuff from your 80s Sylvia).

You still would need to do this on paper first. To place the pop-up lights you need to have a narrow grill fascia/area. The RZ-!'s grill/fascia is quite wide. Thus the front nose needs to be made narrow which means you need to start raking/tapering the entire front (perhaps all the way from the windscreen. In fact you might have to extend the front end as well, which leads to issues of how you can place the radiator in a manner to get sufficient cooling air flow.