• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2000 Honda City Ignition Coil Failure

Tharindu kankanamge

Question

I have a Honda city 2000 model car. My car was stop on the road and when I go to the garage they said that engine coil was burned by a electrical short. So I had replace it and it cost me 11000. Will this can happen again and again 

Edited by Davy
Changed topic title to a meaningful one. Added search tags.

2 answers to this question

Your car is 18 years old, and with age and use, electrical components wear out and fail. This is normal. The best you can do is preventive maintenance.

Not sure about the City, but some manufacturers recommend a 100,000km replacement interval for ignition coils, so check with the agent or a Honda expert to figure out if you should replace the coils. If there's no replacement interval, that means the coils are meant to last the lifetime of the car. So all you can do is replace if and when they fail. Some ignition coils swell up when they near their lifetime, so a visual inspection might help as well. 

"Will this happen again?" is something no one can answer. The brand new coil that you got can be defective. And a high mileage recon coil can last the lifetime of the car. This is the case with any electrical component. This is assuming that the coil failed due to a wiring issue on the car. 

PS: You really need to use meaningful topic titles." Engine Problem" is very vague and will not help anyone searching for a problem like this in the future. Please be mindful when naming topics. And use search tags. I've changed the title and added tags for you. In this thread and the other one you've just created. 

Edited by Davy

1 hour ago, Tharindu kankanamge said:

I have a Honda city 2000 model car. My car was stop on the road and when I go to the garage they said that engine coil was burned by a electrical short. So I had replace it and it cost me 11000. Will this can happen again and again 

Sorry to hear your problem. When you mean short did they check for the root cause? 

Edited by PerfMad